Madine predicts Owls goals spree - The Star

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

MATCH-winner Gary Madine believes that there are many more to goals to come from Sheffield Wednesday though their victory against Notts County was narrow.

The striker who bagged his first of the season to seal a 2-1 win on Saturday thinks that the Owls are capable of dishing out a hiding sooner or later. They had to come from behind to beat County and have a modest record of five goals from the first four League games.

But Madine insists that if they can score the first goal at home then it will be a key factor in establishing dominance at Hillsborough.

He also believes that he has earned a reward for persistence while carrying the responsibility of being one of the club’s few strikers.

“It’s been hard, but you have to keep plugging away and the goals will come,” he said. You do feel it [pressure]. There are a lot of fans and they pay their money and are allowed their opinion; if you don’t pull your weight they’re going to boo you, which is fair enough. But I think if we get the first goal in a game and you’ve got all of them behind you, they’re like a 12th man, 13th even, they’re so loud. One of these games, we’re going to score a few goals against someone.

“We started well [against Notts County] but we went 1-0 down. If we get the first goal, I think it will be 4-0 or 5-0 sooner or later.

“We’ve had two home games, two wins. and I think we’ll pick up points away, because of the players we’ve got. It’s just a matter of time.”

gary megson was pleased with the way the team responded after losing their two away matches.

“We’ve got another big game coming up, against Sflaphorpe [on Saturday at home]. I know we’ve got the Cup-tie [at Blackburn on Wednesday] in between,” he said. “If we can do the same against Sflaphorpe we’re back in among it at the business end [of the table]. But we’ve got to have a lot more resilience about us away from home.

“The way we’ve just played those last two away games I want us to be a lot more solid without being negative.”

Edited by Sheff Owl

Glad to hear the lad sounding positive, even after he obviously heard a few booing him. When i was watching the football league show highlights, after he scored i think he was raising his finger to his mouth to say 'shush' to the top corner of the north but someone who was celebrating with him grabbed his hand.

He sounds like his head is now in the right place anyway, especially after Megson saying how frustrated he was getting not being on the score sheet.

Good to hear he recognise's the positive impact the crowd can make aswell.

Glad to hear the lad sounding positive, even after he obviously heard a few booing him. When i was watching the football league show highlights, after he scored i think he was raising his finger to his mouth to say 'shush' to the top corner of the north but someone who was celebrating with him grabbed his hand.

He sounds like his head is now in the right place anyway, especially after Megson saying how frustrated he was getting not being on the score sheet.

Good to hear he recognise's the positive impact the crowd can make aswell.

Yeah somebody pointed this out on another thread - think it was Buxton.

I think its a good move from the club to have Madine saying positive things in the press, given the recent question marks about his attitude. I reckon his negative demanour has been due to him feeling the pressure as opposed to him not wanting to be here. I hope this goal kick starts his scoring for the season.

Guest DSC_UK

He is capable of getting 20 in a season just needs the service and a bit of confidence. He is never going to get goals from nothing its not his game, its all about balls into the box.

Guest The Unknown Owl

Now he has scored one I hope it restores his confidence and hopefully bag us plenty of goals personally I can see him scoring on saturday at home Gary Madine Goal Machine. :wink:

He shouldnt have been booed anyway, its stupid and totally counter productive.

I always think Madine comes across well in his interviews, quite mature given that many people see him as quite the opposite. He's spot on about the other elements of his game not being taken into account too.

We all know he has the ability. He just has to have the application.

He has not been happy here recently, that is probably more to do with him not getting the chances and the goals. Any striker is happy when they are getting the goals.

Guest wilyfox

it was a good finish to an excellent delivery from Buxton; needs to be the first of a few inorder to silence his critics. i'm very pleased he's off the mark and hopefully he'll kick on, but a strike-rate of 1 in 4 isn't what he or anyone else wants to see.

I agree about the booing - completely unjustified.

We've ALL seen worse than Gary Madine, give the guy a chance. Just because he doesn't chase every lost cause doesn't mean he ain't good enough or pulling his own weight.

How many times did Sibon give up on balls he knew he wouldn't be able to control .... yet he was by far our best player for many years.

I agree about the booing - completely unjustified.

We've ALL seen worse than Gary Madine, give the guy a chance. Just because he doesn't chase every lost cause doesn't mean he ain't good enough or pulling his own weight.

How many times did Sibon give up on balls he knew he wouldn't be able to control .... yet he was by far our best player for many years.

I think he has a languid style, but because he doesnt charge around like Peacock used to he gets a bad reputation, when he still does a lot of "team work".

Megson wouldnt praise him publically if he didnt.

Guest Big Guns

Yeah somebody pointed this out on another thread - think it was Buxton.

yep that was the mighty big guns who pointed that out ,keep it up madine heard he played well at bury also

yep that was the mighty big guns who pointed that out ,keep it up madine heard he played well at bury also

You also logged on from about 3-5 different accounts on the last madine thread trying to convinlce us in your own pointless propaganda style that he was a 'wrong un' and would never amount to anything. Jog on.

Edited by Pulixifer

Madine is clearly a good player. Fair enough he's allegedly had some problems but he's got his head down and got on with it. For a young lad playing away from home for the first time and expected to carry our entire front line while the club sorts the striker situation out, I think that's commendable in itself.

We're only 3 league games into the season and he has 1 goal to his name. He's off the mark now and hopefully this is where he'll flourish.

Let's reserve judgement on Madine until we bring in the players to help bring the best out of him. A better quality strike partner and more productivity from midfield (Marshall is a good start and JJ will be a welcome boost) will see Madine come good.

You also logged on from about 3-5 different accounts on the last madine thread trying to convinlce us in your own pointless propaganda style that he was a 'wrong un' and would never amount to anything. Jog on.

What's his other accounts called, little pistols ??