Has County manager a point to prove

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

Wanting to do something for personal, and not Football reasons sometimes backfires, lets hope so.

Mad Dog’s’ point to prove to Owls chief Milan

1215115642.jpg

Strained relationship: Martin Allen lasted only four games as manager of Leicester under Milan Mandaric.

By Paul Thompson Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Friday 19 August 2011 07:28

MARTIN Allen will be desperate to put one over the Owls tomorrow and not just because it is a big game for his Notts County side.

‘Mad Dog,’ as he was known in his playing days, lasted only four games as boss of Leicester when Milan Mandaric was in charge.

Allen was appointed by Mandaric in 2007 and left MK Dons to succeed Rob Kelly, who was later to become Alan Irvine’s assistant at Hillsborough.

But it appeared that the move did not work out and there were claims of a strained relationship before Allen and Mandaric parted company by mutual consent.

Allen went on to manage Cheltenham and Barnet, and he succeed Paul Ince as Notts County boss in April this year.

With a reputation for reviving teams who are struggling, he lifted County out of the bottom four and kept them in League One.

This season has been a mixed bag: the Magpies won 3-0 at Carlisle in their first game, lost on penalties in the Carling Cup at Forest after a 3-3 draw, lost 2-1 at home to Charlton last Saturday, and beat Tranmere 3-2 at home on Tuesday with a performance rated by their manager as the best of his reign.

Allen had already declared that they have nothing to fear in League One, saying: “We have good players and a good team. We have proper men in our squad and some real talent.”

County came back to beat Tranmere after being 1-0 down at half time, and won with a penalty in the seventh minute of stoppage time.

Allen says: “It was the best performance since I’ve been here, especially after Saturday when we were pretty pants.

“The players were absolutely tremendous. We got what we deserved. I said to the players at half-time to forget the scoreline because they were playing like I want them to.

“I want to see it being zipped about and them playing with confidence and we stepped it up again in the second half.”

County’s visit to Hillsborough will not inspire happy memories for the Owls; they lost this fixture 1-0 in March, but did win at Meadow Lane 2-0 last October.

The Wednesday team has changed vastly since that March game: Michael Morrison, Tommy Miller, Gary Teale, Neil Mellor, Tommy Spurr and Isaiah Osbourne have all gone, and Clinton Morrison, Mark Beevers and Reda Johnson have found their places under threat.

There have been big changes too at County, where seven new signings have arrived.

But striker Lee Hughes is a familiar figure and could play as a lone striker tomorrow. County are likely to field four across midfield plus a defensive midfield man, Hamza Bencherif, signed from Macclesfield, in front of the back four.

Like other visiting sides, Allen’s outfit will want to thrive on the big Hillsborough stage and make life as hard as possible for the Owls.

Defender Mike Edwards says: “If we don’t have the ball, everybody has got to get back and defend.

“Hamza’s a big lad so he wins his headers and tackles, which really helps.

“It’s not just us back five. We’re working on being solid as a whole team and attacking-wise, getting goals from us all.

“That is how we have to do it if we want to do well.”

Actually after reading this im not sure about the pratt bit, Talks alot of Sense.

http://martinallenssundaysermon.wordpress.com/

Yes, he's not morally bankrupt or anything. But has an extremely high opion of himself - just calling that blog 'Sunday Sermon' proves that.

In fact the more I read of that blog the more I came to the conclusion that the stuff he does 'in football' the 'Mad Dog' antics is to build his persona - for what reason I cannot guess at. As, quite rightly as you say. He CAN actually talk some sense.

I still think he's a pratt.

After Reading that, I'm not looking forward to the game tomorrow. They seem to be coming with a 10 men behind the ball attitude, even going as far as playing a anchor man in from if the back four.

We won't break them down, crowd gets on the players back, they ****** a 1-0 win, Megson gets sacked.

Intercity - Did you read his poem?

The Match Of The Day Tune was played on Big Ben

The day Martin Allen moved into Number ten

Palm leaves were held by the stems

Mad Dog walked across the Thames

“A miracle”! The Archbishop cried

Martin said was it?

Then Graham Souness thought it’s now or never

Then proudly came out the closet

Guest intercity0wl

After Reading that, I'm not looking forward to the game tomorrow. They seem to be coming with a 10 men behind the ball attitude, even going as far as playing a anchor man in from if the back four.

We won't break them down, crowd gets on the players back, they ****** a 1-0 win, Megson gets sacked.

Or just maybe, Wednesday battle like hell to break em down, crowd sence this and respond vocally, we finally ****** one at the death and win one nil.

Doom merchants shake their head and get home as quick as poss to post on here,"we were lucky" and that they heard a Rumour that megson had fell out with the goundsmans dog and all was not well behind the scenes at S6., well is the glass half empty or half full ?

Guest intercity0wl

Intercity - Did you read his poem?

The Match Of The Day Tune was played on Big Ben

The day Martin Allen moved into Number ten

Palm leaves were held by the stems

Mad Dog walked across the Thames

“A miracle”! The Archbishop cried

Martin said was it?

Then Graham Souness thought it’s now or never

Then proudly came out the closet

Will give the coffee a bit longer to kick in, before starting analyse that one.

Guest nottscounty

Our last 2 away games... Carlisle we scored 3 goals and Nottingham F*rest we scored 3 goals. Hardly 10 men behind the ball stuff.

Guest Visitingpie

lol he didn't write that poem..someone sent it in to him.

My personal opinion is that MA is as far from mad as you can get.

He's a very very astute man manager and is excellent at getting a team playing as a team and fighting for each other win lose or draw. Before he came in it was about 18 months since we had won a game after going behind.

As for the Barcelona comment...that's what the commentator said on 5 live at the Florist game 'Notts County are passing the ball around like Barcelona!' Perhaps a touch over the top ...they should have said Juventus lol

We do mix it up though, I think you have to in this league.. You'll see some long balls from us too no doubt.

ps..how did I get pictures of Megson in my post?!

lol he didn't write that poem..someone sent it in to him.

My personal opinion is that MA is as far from mad as you can get.

He's a very very astute man manager and is excellent at getting a team playing as a team and fighting for each other win lose or draw. Before he came in it was about 18 months since we had won a game after going behind.

As for the Barcelona comment...that's what the commentator said on 5 live at the Florist game 'Notts County are passing the ball around like Barcelona!' Perhaps a touch over the top ...they should have said Juventus lol

We do mix it up though, I think you have to in this league.. You'll see some long balls from us too no doubt.

ps..how did I get pictures of Megson in my post?!

L.o.l = Megson on these forums. Thanks for posting something constructive, alot of fans for other clubs just come on here to fling abuse. Looking forward to the game tomorrow.

A couple of years ago Allen was prowling the technical area just in front of where I sit. He was incredibly animated and the Wednesday fans started giving him a bit of light hearted stick. He took it in good part and responded well. Said after the game that he always got on with Wednesday fans.

He is a character and he's OK by me.....unless we lose tomorrow.