I am sorry but not all the blame should be placed on Megson!

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I am not going to come on here to bad mouth MM after all he is our saviour after all. But one would have to question the way he has gone about recruiting players. During Irvine's spell far too many players were brought in at the wrong time. Albeit I would argue that the majority of these players weren't good enough, the timing of their arrival was not ideal. Now let's take this season as an example 3 of the new players have been signed after the season had started, with one of these signings (eg the Nigerian lad) being brought in solely because we didn't have the numbers, IMO. When you compare this to the likes of Charlton who recruited the nucleus of their squad well before the start of the season, our recruitment policy is farcical. Now whilst I understand that MM is trying to drive a good deal for the club, and may have been priced out of deals, the fact that we started with only two fit strikers is a joke. I am sorry but in consideration GM has been given a difficult task and as if yet, other than Lines and the Nigerian lad (who I don't think is good enough), Megson has had naff all to work with offensively. Hopefully the lad from Stoke will add some quality, and at last Megson will have something to work with.

Sorry I meant to say that COG has been brought in also, but still Megson hasn't had him at his disposal. What I am

Trying to say is Megson has been given a raw deal, offensively, because of our transfer policy. This is why I feel we should reserve judgement until the new players and future recruitments have time to bed in. We started the season extremely weak offensively and whilst we have significantly improved defensively, but as the old saying goes 'the best form of defence is attack!' Take heed Milan.

Guest Big Guns

I don't get mms plan if he wants to sell us on for a big profit then he needs to spend to get the right players in ,he will recoup his spending when he flogs us

Guest intercity0wl

A piece in this mornings star which is in the main Promoting an up coming event at the club featuring Big Ron amongst others. in the article Ron makes reference to the amount of backing the Wednesday crowd can give the team if they see the effort out their on the pitch, even when the players make mistakes.

He also is someone who i would imagine it would be widely agreed by most on here that he has forgotten more about every aspect of the real game from the Boardroom down, than us posters on here will ever know.

He joins the long list of prominent people who are actually still in, or have in the past spent there life in the real world of professional football , and who rate megson and who like Ron back megson to do the job at Wednesday,

No doubt this will have the wanna be football managers on here coughing and spluttering all over their laptops, and breaking off from football manager to furiously start typing that their years of experience playing the virtual version of the game makes them more knowlegable and better informed than highly regarded and experienced characters in the real game, but i know which ones i prefer to trust, let the rants begin.

'I am not going to come on here to bad mouth MM after all he is our saviour' he says, before bad mouthing MM.

It's not a criticism of MM as a whole, but just a questioning of the Clubs recruitment policy, to open up for debate, as you will.

Mr Pedantic!!

Or maybe just a teacher?

Guest totemowl

It's not a criticism of MM as a whole, but just a questioning of the Clubs recruitment policy, to open up for debate, as you will.

Mr Pedantic!!

Or maybe just a teacher?

Or maybe you just speak with forked tongue.

Recruitment policy is pretty fundamental isn't it. But at least you didnt complain about the width of your seat.

Mr Pedantic!!

Or maybe just a teacher?

I think your right to question the transfer policy this summer,we were promised a lot more than we've got and its time for MM to hold firm to his promise to back Megson.

I suspect the OP was trying to articulate that we will all be eternally grateful for Milan saving our club, but we should question some of his thinking since.

Not bad mouthing, but also not being 'yes' men (and women).

For my twopenneth, MM has a really tough task to turn round decades of neglect to the infrastructure of our once proud club. He is right to bide his time with transfers to get the right price, but not to the point of penny pinching.

I never want to see our club where it was 12 months ago,******* but I am sure that we could have done without renewing JOC's contract in order to bring Mellor in. *******

UTO :biggrin:

*** that,though, was megsons choice (JOC) not anything to do with milan

Guest dunellaowl

This season our transfer policy is funded by our owner MM, last season it was funded by the taxman's money , so can't grumble at MM to be honest! He said he wasn't going to chuck silly money about so he hasn't made any false promises. As for the striker department I think megson relied too heavily on mellor returning, his two forward targets were o,grady and mellor, we have eventually got one of them, so another striker before the window shuts and i think its a job well done IMO, we all wish things would just fall into place but we know footballs not like that, not at hillsborough anyway!! UTO

Guest totemowl

This season our transfer policy is funded by our owner MM, last season it was funded by the taxman's money , so can't grumble at MM to be honest! He said he wasn't going to chuck silly money about so he hasn't made any false promises. As for the striker department I think megson relied too heavily on mellor returning, his two forward targets were o,grady and mellor, we have eventually got one of them, so another striker before the window shuts and i think its a job well done IMO, we all wish things would just fall into place but we know footballs not like that, not at hillsborough anyway!! UTO

Spot on.

Edited by totemowl

Guest intercity0wl

I suspect the OP was trying to articulate that we will all be eternally grateful for Milan saving our club, but we should question some of his thinking since.

Not bad mouthing, but also not being 'yes' men (and women).

For my twopenneth, MM has a really tough task to turn round decades of neglect to the infrastructure of our once proud club. He is right to bide his time with transfers to get the right price, but not to the point of penny pinching.

I never want to see our club where it was 12 months ago, but I am sure that we could have done without renewing JOC's contract in order to bring Mellor in.

UTO :biggrin:

Would rarther be paying Someone who gives 100% to the cause of SWFC eveytime he pulls on the shirt than give it to someone who at times last season looked totally disinterested, regardless of the undoubted benefits he could bring when he can can be arsed.

Edited by intercity0wl

Megson signed an injured payer, and them played him against medical advice. We don't know how long COG will be out now. We're supposed to be going for promotion. Yet there has been under investment in the playing squad this pre-season. Again we're back to just two fit strikers, that can't even find the net. We have two players on loan, that can play up front.

We needed a goal scorer. I know we have to stay on budget. But what use is that leaving a club like Wednesday floundering in League 1? This squad has been cobbled together on freebies, recycled transfer cash and loans. Why did we spend so long trying to sign Mellor?

It's no good having a great saviour, if your still stuck treading water. We've cut the club back further than the old board did. We've even lost the Reserves. We've extended the contracts of Modest and Oliver, without them having any football to play.

Megson has been hinting at this all close season (and before).

He obviously feels that he has not been given what he was promised, and although a reason for this may be MM finding more financial timebombs once through the door, it doesn't take away from the fact that GM's rules re. recruitment and spending seem to have been tightened.

GM made reference to January's spending by the previous "manager" being used as a reason to influence his own budget but I am still struggling to see 1.6m spent at that time and the subsequent percentage increase in wage budget given the ins and outs and figures that were quoted.

Or maybe you just speak with forked tongue.

Recruitment policy is pretty fundamental isn't it. But at least you didnt complain about the width of your seat.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. As Zico B suggests I was just merely putting it forward that whilst I appreciate what he has done for us, questions need to be asked about MM policy in recruiting players. I will certainly ensure that I make myself clear next time so as to avoid such scrutiny.

As for your comments on recruitment- what do you mean by it is fundamental?. If it was that fundamental then Weds would have all the 9 players for which Megson initially wanted. Recruitment is, surely, more complex than fundamental?, especially in the World of Professional football. The top clubs now thoroughly vet the players that they are bringing in, before any type of offer or negotiation begins. Who would blame them, though, with the money that these clubs are shelling out- too many owners are losing millions on players who are not worth it- club owners now want to be assured that there money is being well spent. when you look at our policy under Irvine last January- can you argue that the same vetting procedure was carried out?. I doubt it very much, because if it was then we wouldn't have signed those players. As for this season, well I am sorry but you have a plan (ie 9 players) and then you have a back-up plan. We went into the season with 2 fit strikers, why?, because for me our policy in the transfer Market was shambolic.

Sorry, but it is no excuse to say- 'players don't want to drop down to League one'- this type of attitude from players should have been accounted for. However, if you are approaching the Market naively or even 'fundamentally' you may find yourself in a position where you aren't able to recruit efficiently. On the other hand, if you approach it in a pre-planned proactive manner, and one which is informed, then you, surely, stand a better chance of getting 'achievable' targets.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

this gets said countless times, but;

we want mandaric to chuck money at it, and sign mellor and alf.

he thinks mellor is worth £200k and alf £150k. hes prepared to spend £10k of his wage budget on both.

preston want £300k, rovrum £500k. both players want £7k in wages. what should he do?

considering we got in the original financial mess by signing players on wages we couldnt afford, for money they werent worth, and sold on for far less than we paid, personally i have no issue with mandaric running things this way.

just as a side note, players brought in since mandarics arrival;

m morrison, r johnson, reynolds, madine, r jones, batth (l), COG, Prutton, Semedo, lines, uchechi (l), marshall (l), bennett.

and hes not been here a year. there will be more to come, theyve already said they are still looking at targets, but its got to fit within their budget. frustrating, but correct.

Guest totemowl

Megson signed an injured payer, and them played him against medical advice. We don't know how long COG will be out now. We're supposed to be going for promotion. Yet there has been under investment in the playing squad this pre-season. Again we're back to just two fit strikers, that can't even find the net. We have two players on loan, that can play up front.

We needed a goal scorer. I know we have to stay on budget. But what use is that leaving a club like Wednesday floundering in League 1? This squad has been cobbled together on freebies, recycled transfer cash and loans. Why did we spend so long trying to sign Mellor?

It's no good having a great saviour, if your still stuck treading water. We've cut the club back further than the old board did. We've even lost the Reserves. We've extended the contracts of Modest and Oliver, without them having any football to play.

I was going to slate one or two of your points. But then I realised it was all complete twaddle. So apologies for leaving it at that.

But what is different? Some of us have been sceptical about this transfer policy for a while now and warned of the dangers. Most of the trust MM/GM brigade saw no folly in this and were confident that the managers primary targets would arrive by the end of the month. It's not the end of the month and the closing of the window for another 12 days yet.

For the record, I too think the manager has been dealt a rough hand here. My worry now, is that it will not be the final pieces of Megsons jigsaw arriving through the door, but random bodies purely to make up squad numbers.