You really think Megson wants hoof ball?

gary megson has reiterated after the game in his BBC interview that he wants his team to pass it around, and we all know we have the players to do it. The problem comes from the fact that any decent coach will tell you, that if you are under pressure hoof it before getting closed down. He stressed how our players need to be braver and keep trying to pass it about and open the space and run the opposition down. Alot of our team seem happy to lump it in fear of getting caught in posession.

Some however, like Semi, Buxton, Semedo, Morrison etc try to keep it on the floor. How about people start to encourage our players to keep it low because honestly this notion that its the manager making them lump it is well wide of the mark. Its players taking the easy way out. We need patience across amongst our fans and players where well intended passes low into feet or into space are rewarded because as far as im concerned we have been stuck in a lumping it rut for a while now, spaning a few different managers.

Guest Big Guns

I've not seen owt to say megson wants to play football I think he wants a.fast high tempo game maybe the players don't understand

I must admit the alarm bells started ringing for me in pre season when all GM seemed to talk about was how much running we,d done and who,d come last etc.

Of course players need to be fit but in his FIRST pre season as boss surely the majority of time should have been spent on the PITCH with a BALL nailing home to the players what style of play he expected.

Ah yes......style of play

I was fully expecting us to be organised , tough to break down , direct , pragmatic and a little dour.................this however i could have lived with if the means justified the end and we got out of this godforsaken division , but at the moment we are niether playing good football OR winning and the thinking seems to be very confused.

GM says he wants us to play a passing game , but all the evidence so far would contradict this................its still early days so im not going to go overboard but the early indications are worrying.

Totally agree with OP. Megson has a history of it yes, but as is also well documented, he inherited a team of Big Sam who only knew how to play hoof ball. It took him time to try and change things, and he brought in better quality passers of the ball before leaving.

No way Megson wants hoof ball. If he did, he wouldn't tell interviewers that he doesn't want it - he'd try and defend the style.

I must admit the alarm bells started ringing for me in pre season when all GM seemed to talk about was how much running we,d done and who,d come last etc.

Of course players need to be fit but in his FIRST pre season as boss surely the majority of time should have been spent on the PITCH with a BALL nailing home to the players what style of play he expected.

I was fully expecting us to be organised , tough to break down , direct , pragmatic and a little dour.................this however i could have lived with if the means justified the end and we got out of this godforsaken division , but at the moment we are niether playing good football OR winning and the thinking seems to be very confused.

GM says he wants us to play a passing game , but all the evidence so far would contradict this................its still early days so im not going to go overboard but the early indications are worrying.

Cracking post and exactly how I've seen it.

In fairness, even in his interview on Wednesday Player he talked about mental bravery and that all we're doing in lumping it up to Madine and hoping for the best.

Its clear he doesn't want this to happen. For me, the whole problem lies with the likes of Reda Johnson, Buxton & Bennett, with the midfield hardly blameless for not coming short and wanting the ball.

Whilst the manager himself cannot control every player on the pitch, he (and his backroom staff) can ensure that certain things are done, and certain things become the norm or a habit.

I'm not having a go at Megson, because I do think he will get it right if given the time (although at the moment there's very little evidence to back this up), but the essential things that need to happen for us to play "passing football" (God, I hate that terminology) just aren't happening, nor do they look like they are trying to happen.

If you want your team to get the ball down, and play from the back, then why allow the keeper to continually kick the ball over our defence and midfield up to a striker who doesn't want it 7ft skywards? Why is the first option for the centre halves, a long diagonal ball?

I don't believe for one second Megson wants this team to play "pretty" football, and I haven't got a problem with that. Direct football played well, can be a very effective and entertaining style of play. All the signs seem to be that the players are been trained to play certain balls...which seem to highlighted the way Megson wants us to play.

At the end of the day, whatever style we opt for, it has to be successful. And currently, it certainly is not!

Guest clumber58

Excellent post.

Guest TonyOwl88

I think he likes direct football, but NOT aimless hoofs up the pitch. Just attacking rather than the tappy tap stuff in your own half.

Players should take responsibility for the stupid hoofing. Clearly not what is expected of them otherwise we really would have issues.

Whilst the manager himself cannot control every player on the pitch, he (and his backroom staff) can ensure that certain things are done, and certain things become the norm or a habit.

I'm not having a go at Megson, because I do think he will get it right if given the time (although at the moment there's very little evidence to back this up), but the essential things that need to happen for us to play "passing football" (God, I hate that terminology) just aren't happening, nor do they look like they are trying to happen.

If you want your team to get the ball down, and play from the back, then why allow the keeper to continually kick the ball over our defence and midfield up to a striker who doesn't want it 7ft skywards? Why is the first option for the centre halves, a long diagonal ball?

I don't believe for one second Megson wants this team to play "pretty" football, and I haven't got a problem with that. Direct football played well, can be a very effective and entertaining style of play. All the signs seem to be that the players are been trained to play certain balls...which seem to highlighted the way Megson wants us to play.

At the end of the day, whatever style we opt for, it has to be successful. And currently, it certainly is not!

So many times last night ROD could have passed the ball out - but sent the defence on their way and booted it out.

Now - if this was against everything Megson had instilled into the team, surely he would have gobbed off at ROD on the sidelines and tell him to throw it out?

We're not after cutting edge football of course, but I bloody want to see us pass it around and try to open defences up.

Can we add this to the list of things that ain't Megsons fault. If you watch Forest and Bolton then it was hoofball. So is it a case he is such a bad manager his teams ignore his instructions every week?

He's simply making excuses and blaming the players for his shortcomings. He needs to rethink how his team are going to approach games

I have said this before ( and I'll say it again).

Very few managers use or advocate "hoofball" as a strategy or a tactic.

"Hoofball" happens when the the players can't see or do not have a short pass option.

They don't want to lose the ball short so they kick it long to the rough vicinity of a teammate. Most times this will result in lost possession.

When players are low on confidence (in themselves or their teammates) or ability this happens. It is not by design.

This is also something that happens when the crowd increase the pressure on the team. This is not placing the "blame" on the fans but it is important that fans realise the effect of a crowd that is quick to get on the back of a team.

Our team has not had chance to play together that much and so that "easy" passing has not become second nature.

Once confidence and understanding come the apparent "hoofball" will disappear. It won't be expedited by the crowd expressing dismay at the first long kick to go astray.

#justsaying

He prefers a direct style of play without question.

There is nothing wrong with a direct style played with purpose - Stoke etc.

However, hoofing the ball aimlessly up to Madine is not playing with any purpose and will find us dropping more than our fair share of points.