It's easy to criticise, but what do you do?

Guest insideowl

Guest insideowl

I've read through countless posts about our 'long ball style'. Lots and lots of you have slated it and I'm by new means a fan of the long ball BUT if you were a player playing behind morrison and madine or equally you were the manager, what do you do? It's easy to critic but not easy to create a solution!

For me, you'd think with 2 handy 6 plus players up top, even though I'm not a fan, the long ball would work? No. But you can't play to feet cause there both useless at that, they don't get in behind, don't run the channels, don't drop. There useless. So as a player with the ball behind, what do you do? Baath/redas distribution is woeful so we aren't going to see anything from them.

I agree with you all that the long ball is rubbish but I don't for one minute think this is how Megson wants to play, I think it's the players out there that have no confidence in what's up top, and quite rightly so, so they just boot it!

We all know what we need. 2 strikers 1 winger. I'm convinced we'll see better, attractive, winning football after this.

There's only 1 man who can make that happen, Megson has given his list, it's about time MM acted on it and puts his money where his mouth is and correct what seems empty promises.

A) The teams apparently fit so id have them chasing down EVERY ball. - We stood off them so much last night.

B) Id make it COMPULSORY to fight for EVERY 1st and 2nd ball. - The amount of 2nd balls Bury were first too and could leisurely go forward with were a joke!

C) Play simple short passes, pass in triangles, play 1-2's - These Hollywood balls are giving Madine no chance!!

Those 3 things are the basics of what we should be doing every game. Those 3 things were NONE existant last night. Id make a start with those 3.

A) The teams apparently fit so id have them chasing down EVERY ball. - We stood off them so much last night.

B) Id make it COMPULSORY to fight for EVERY 1st and 2nd ball. - The amount of 2nd balls Bury were first too and could leisurely go forward with were a joke!

C) Play simple short passes, pass in triangles, play 1-2's - These Hollywood balls are giving Madine no chance!!

Those 3 things are the basics of what we should be doing every game. Those 3 things were NONE existant last night. Id make a start with those 3.

Agree with those basic things.

We did A for the first 7 minutes of the second half. Resulted in a goal and a disallowed goal. Because we won the ball further up the pitch we didn't have to hoof it.

I've read through countless posts about our 'long ball style'. Lots and lots of you have slated it and I'm by new means a fan of the long ball BUT if you were a player playing behind morrison and madine or equally you were the manager, what do you do? It's easy to critic but not easy to create a solution!

For me, you'd think with 2 handy 6 plus players up top, even though I'm not a fan, the long ball would work? No. But you can't play to feet cause there both useless at that, they don't get in behind, don't run the channels, don't drop. There useless. So as a player with the ball behind, what do you do? Baath/redas distribution is woeful so we aren't going to see anything from them.

I agree with you all that the long ball is rubbish but I don't for one minute think this is how Megson wants to play, I think it's the players out there that have no confidence in what's up top, and quite rightly so, so they just boot it!

We all know what we need. 2 strikers 1 winger. I'm convinced we'll see better, attractive, winning football after this.

There's only 1 man who can make that happen, Megson has given his list, it's about time MM acted on it and puts his money where his mouth is and correct what seems empty promises.

Clinton Morrison has proved (virtually throughout his career) he can do a good job at a high level if he plays consistently and the ball is passed to his feet.

He's not used to chasing the ball down or winning headers constantly. We got promotion out of this league through playing a mixed variety of football. Long-ball does have it's place in football and can be very effective - but no team will be promoted when it is their only / main option.

Everyone always comments about Arsenal playing the nice passing game, but never using wingers to cross or shooting from range, which has cost them many games throughout the last 3 seasons (at least).

Ultimately, there is only one type of football that everyone enjoys watching - and that's effective football, n it comes in many different forms, but needs to manifest from a simple philosophy of which I don't think that constant long ball is the solution.

Guest Scotsowl

Well what you do is push your two centre midfielders higher up the pitch to try and win the seconds.

on the opening day we played a lot of the ball on the floor building it up from Weavers distribution to the full backs......last night we opted for trying to play a long ball pass to a player who was playing at Bolton? Blackburn, Rochdale...anywhere but the same flipping pitch as our players were on