George Henry (49/50 - 51/52)

Guest Big Turfs

Guest Big Turfs

My girlfriend and I have have recently found out that her great uncle George R Henry played for the Owls between the seasons 1949/50 and 51/52. Having looked in the record books we know that during this time he made 40 appearances, scoring 7 times. There is also a Wikipedia page for him which gives a few more details as to other clubs he turned out for but not much else. We are also aware that after retiring from football he ran a pub in Huddersfield but that is about it.

My Dad does can recall him playing as a central midfielder but was only around 10 at the time so not much else.

We were hoping that some members of Owlstalk may be old enough to remember him or that they have parents or grandparents that they could mention his name to and see if the recollect him. We would love to find out a bit more about him. Any memories of 30 yard screamers, good games or even bad games would be gratefully read. It would be nice to be able to pass any details on to her family members plus it would help keep me in the good books with her parents, always a bonus :wink:

Likewise if anyone happens to have an old team or player photo of him it would be great to be able to get a copy. I did see a thread on here asking for pics from pre 1930 which led me to believe they already had some from the seasons he was playing. However, I was waiting for my account to be validated and the thread has since disappeared.

Many thanks in anticipation of some memories...UTO & WTID

My Dad has told me about a Gerald 'Gerry' Henry that used to play for us about the same time. We were talking about him a couple of weeks ago just after we signed Semedo (my dad was telling me about the player that he thought was the ultimate hard man).

My dad is 78 now, and although he is still spritelty, his memory is not what it was, therefore, below may not be 100% correct but he has told me about Gerald Henry on a few occassions - I think he was one of my dad's favourites.

He said that Gerald Henry played against us (I don't know who for) and not only had a good game (MoM performance) but also kicked seven shades out of all of our players - we signed him shortly after - possibly before the next game we played.

My dad also told me a story about Gerald Henry along these lines: We were playing a team that was 'rough-housing' us. The opposing team's centre-half crunched one of our flair players, leaving him in a heap. When play started again, Gerald Henry hurtled towards the opposing team's centre-half and administered the most brutal challenge upon him that the said centre-half had to be carried of on a stretcher. Gerald Henry didn't wait for the red card - he had walked off the pitch before the ref could get his hand in his pocket. Not many teams 'rough-housed' us after that.

there was a gerald henry playing around this time, he was a cult hero , he was big and rough, if any wednesday player got hurt all the crowd in one voice would shout gerrim henry, and he would charge accross the pitch and wallop, he wouldn,t last a minute these days. hope that helps

Guest Big Turfs

Great stories lads and much appreciated :biggrin:

Not sure where the hell I got George from but glad it was enough to ring a few bells :huh:

Sounds like a bit of a V****e J***s kind of player.

Anyone else able to chip in.

Guest cedtheowl

As a ten year old, I saw Gerry Henry make his debut for the Owls against Brentford in a 3-3 draw in Feb.1950.He was signed by Eric Taylor from Bradford Park Avenue as a replacement for Eddie Quigley, my first Wednesday hero. Shandypants's comments are spot on. On Christmas Eve I had seen him play for Bradford at Hillsborough. He was booed off. Against Brentford he was cheered.

In the 1970's I was Head of a school in Suffolk and I invited Michael Parkinson to open the summer fete. I suggested to him that he should accept my invitation,rather than any other, because when he was watching Skinner Normanton kick Barnsley's opponents up in the air, I was watching Gerry Henry do the same for Wednesday. He declined my invitation.

Some years later I met Michael Parkinson and reminded him of my letter. " I remember it," he said " Gerry Henry is my wife's uncle!"