how did liam palmer play?

Guest dn12owl

Guest intercity0wl

just got back from abroad, been a big fan of his from last pre season.

did he use/pass the ball well etc?

Did what was asked of him, without any fuss, a good honest decent performance.

Guest Buxtonian

Personally, I thought he had an excellent game. He was trying all the match. Quite a number of his moves didn't come off, but when he lost the ball, he fought hard to get it back.

He's certainly not the finished article ,yet, but he was always looking to go forward and trying to find his man. Shows great possibilities.

Guest JonTheOwl66

flip me - he's 19 isn't he? He's not going to be a match-winner. More than you can ask from such a young lad.

I thought he had a decent game, and lets be fair, he's far more accustomed to playing a central role.

He didn't stand out, but he put a shift in, did what was asked and contributed to a solid team performance.

A steady 7/10 from me.

To me, he played a like a centre midfielder stood on the wing.

I know that sounds like a smart arse response but he was literally playing a centre mid role just out of position. He rarely dribbled, ran at players or crossed the ball but instead took the ball off more defensive players and tried to play it forward with a pass rather than a run. In this role he was quite successful. If we wanted to attack down the wing, he tended to let the full back overlap and filled in for them and he showed good positional awareness when he did so.

To be honest he fulfilled that role reasonably well and it was a sensible solution to the lack of wingers. However, we clearly need an attacking winger in the long run as we lacked any real incisiveness.

Guest dn12owl

tend to agree with most posts, from what ive seen of him he would thrive in a more central role.

maybe playing free role infront of samedo/prutton to open things up with his vision and range of passing??

I didn't think he was great TBH. Thought he was quicker than he showed yesterday, and was a bit of a passenger at times.

I know you can't go back, but some like Seany Mac showed more in a Wednesday shirt than Palmer has so far.

Harsh

Palmer isn't pacy enough to play as a winger, particular in our system where the centre backs play deep and the wingers get forward. He was comfortable on the ball but didn't look particularly like beating defenders. He showed a lack of experience a few times which is understandable as he does lack experience.

That said, his technique and close control were excellent, I thought he put some good crosses in. He got into some great positions in space between the lines which weren't always rewarded with the ball. He played some good diagonal balls. He put 100% percent in. It is painfully obvious that he is a central midfielder and I think he could be exactly what we need - a bit of creativity, a cultured, composed foot on the ball and an option in space between the lines.

Comparing him to MacAlister isn't really fair. MacAlister always ran himself into the ground but was technically nowhere near Palmer. I'd rather have Palmer, to be honest.

I think he as a big future in the game, was always looking for the ball and considering he was playing wide GM must have been really pleased with him today.

Well played Liam !!!!

Can't agree, technically he's much more accomplished than Sean Mac was. I thought he was decent yesterday playing not as a winger as such, more of a spare man in midfield. Good workrate and a bit of invention, good performance.