Guest TonyOwl88

Guest TonyOwl88

I know most of us are frustrated at the lack of transfer activity at the moment, but...

As has been reported, we apparently have a £5/6k wage cap. Isn't that good for the club going forward? It prevents disparity in player wages, and may help to keep squad marale higher. It will keep us on a firm footing as a club, and let's face it, its a proven model for success both on and off the field at Blackpool, (with variable figures for different levels).

Admittedly I expected a bigger spending summer, but I know for certain I never want to feel the way I did when we were minutes from disappearing.

I know most of us are frustrated at the lack of transfer activity at the moment, but...

As has been reported, we apparently have a £5/6k wage cap. Isn't that good for the club going forward? It prevents disparity in player wages, and may help to keep squad marale higher. It will keep us on a firm footing as a club, and let's face it, its a proven model for success both on and off the field at Blackpool, (with variable figures for different levels).

Admittedly I expected a bigger spending summer, but I know for certain I never want to feel the way I did when we were minutes from disappearing.

Isn't there a salary cap coming in next season? If so what will the cap be? If it's above 5k would we have to sell players to comply? So it might be a good strategy

Guest TonyOwl88

I don't have a problem with the wage cap. I don't think too many SWFC fans do either.

I thought the issue was we were not meeting clubs valuations of their players?

Rotherham w/ ALF have always overestimated his value. We can't do anything about that.

Rochdale I assume accepted our bid for O'Grady since it was negotiations with COG himself that broke down.

Bid for Mellor was accepted, but Mellor was wanting big wages.

Danny Green wasn't interested in coming.

Koumas waiting...

Tyson had better options.

Looks like wages are more of a sticking point to be honest.

Isn't there a salary cap coming in next season? If so what will the cap be? If it's above 5k would we have to sell players to comply? So it might be a good strategy

I understood that the wage cap wasn't coming in until next season - due to some moaning or other by the Blunts. Have I got this wrong?

I understood that the wage cap wasn't coming in until next season - due to some moaning or other by the Blunts. Have I got this wrong?

Thank god for that, I thought I'd imagined it. I was also under the impression that the 5k a week was on average, I'm sure clinton will be in more than that as will a few others, Megson said if Mellor came he wouldn't be the highest paid player, only one of them and he wouldn't be on much more than other players.

I don't have a problem with the wage cap. I don't think too many SWFC fans do either.

I thought the issue was we were not meeting clubs valuations of their players?

We should only be meeting other clubs valuations of their players if the values are realistic.

Guest maltaowl

We should only be meeting other clubs valuations of their players if the values are realistic.

Exactly. We don't want to be paying over the odds for players who are not proven value (e.g. c.macdonald had 1 good season in L2 and Norwich want 600k)

The salary cap will be 55% of the clubs total turn over. This is exactly the reason that we need to maximise every revenue stream. The stadium facilities need to be used more than 23 games a year. This is why building up the off field operations are important.

Also, the more tickets that are sold will have a massive impact on the amount we have for player wages. Milan won't be able to prop the club up out of his own money.

The salary cap will be 55% of the clubs total turn over. This is exactly the reason that we need to maximise every revenue stream. The stadium facilities need to be used more than 23 games a year. This is why building up the off field operations are important.

Also, the more tickets that are sold will have a massive impact on the amount we have for player wages. Milan won't be able to prop the club up out of his own money.

He can - see Man City and the naming rights to Eastlands Stadium.

I know most of us are frustrated at the lack of transfer activity at the moment, but... As has been reported, we apparently have a £5/6k wage cap. Isn't that good for the club going forward? It prevents disparity in player wages, and may help to keep squad marale higher. It will keep us on a firm footing as a club, and let's face it, its a proven model for success both on and off the field at Blackpool, (with variable figures for different levels). Admittedly I expected a bigger spending summer, but I know for certain I never want to feel the way I did when we were minutes from disappearing.

I'm in two minds about this. I agree with what you've said but take a hypothetical situation where say someone like Koumas says yes I'll sign but I want 7k a week. Assuming we have the overall wage budget to pay do we say no we only pay 5k max for any player. Or do we say given the players pedigree that there are instances where it is ok to pay a little more? Given Koumas' past you would hope the players would understand why he might get higher wages than them. On the other hand were we to pay him 10k a week and he was on double what anyone else was on I can see how this might not help morale. I think what I'm saying is yes its a good thing assuming there is a bit of flexibility there to allow us to compete if a high quality player comes along who may be interested in signing for us.

players and clubs have been taking us for a ride for years, with our negotiating skills being utter gash.

Im glad in Mandaric and Aldridge we have people who know true value and wont allow us to be ripped off. Its more important than ever that we are run as a proper buisiness, and never fall into the trap of throwing money down the toilet again.

Guest TonyOwl88

The wage cap next season will be based on the entire wage structure, and not on individual players wages

My understanding is that we won't offer wages higher than £5/6k. Ask Mellor...