TODAYS STAR FRONT AND BACK PAGE

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

First the good news. this mornings edition has a picture of Sid (kevin Taylor) pictured with Laurie Madden and John Pearson at the unit in Chester where he is being treated with the story that the sponsor of the game v the Blunts has agreed with the club that if well enough he will walk out and present the ball at Hillsborough for the derby game, great news and really hope it happens.

Now for the back page downer, Paul Thonpson say "the Board at Wednesday are now resigned to not having recruited any new players before the seasons opener on saturday", im sure its just very, very lazy journalism, but let the shitstorm begin a day early.

Sorry cannot find any links to either story but im sure they ill appear in time.

PS, oh and there is a colour squad picture of Wednesday in the middle as well, UTO.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest Johnbloodaxe

No reference to who was the board member giving the view, so hoiw does PT know that? Simply a journo's view on things and maybe he is correct for the first game, but there's still nearly a month before the transfer window closes and we are waiting for the players and agents to make their bloody minds up and waiting to see if they get a better offer from elsewhere.... I don't think this is about money now I think this is down to the players willingness to drop to div 1 level, which is more about misplaced pride than anything else.

Most of todays players donlt realise what a mighty club Wednesday were 20 years ago and so we will suffer from this until we get our status back, Man City and Newcastle and more lately Leeds have all been through this, they found it hard to attract players in the lower leaugues until they started to regain their status OR signed managers such as Keegan to attract the players..

They will come it just points to the fact we are bidding for quality players with other options and so this takes time to conclude the deal... in a perverse way we should be pleased about this it is a major sign that we arenlt simply bringing in numbers BUT are instead after serious players with other options...

The guys who are doing these deals on our behalf will not have all their eggs in one basket they will be pursuing more than one player for each position in case one or two don't materialise... I personally would rather wait for the good players even if it means that they miss a match or two...

This is not the negative position it seems to be at first glance...

AND not least it's very good news about Sid...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Great news about Sid.

As for the rest, the season won't be won or lost in the first few games. It's either a journalistic swing at a story or Milan using the press. Even if we have resigned ourselves to no more players before Saturday, wait til the end of the month before committing suicide eh?

Great news about Sid.

As for the rest, the season won't be won or lost in the first few games. It's either a journalistic swing at a story or Milan using the press. Even if we have resigned ourselves to no more players before Saturday, wait til the end of the month before committing suicide eh?

Iwill give it to 5pm on Sat afternoon, because if we get beaten on the first day you can bet your bottom dollar that the backlash will begin.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I woke up this morning thinking exactly the same- that we won't have any new players in before Saturday. And so what? Yes we know we need to improve in the long-term, especially in 'offensive' areas, but it doesn't have to be as imminent as some if our 'dramatic' fans are implying. I am still massively confident that we will get three points on Saturday with the squad that we have- and without JJ. This is a much improved team not only in personnel, but also in fitness and organisation. I truly believe that our club shouldn't be held to ransom by selling clubs and thus pay inflated prices through panic. The club should play the waiting game because the nearer it gets to the end of August, the better position we'll be in as a buying club. Now is the time to get behind the team, and leave the overly dramatic behaviour/attitudes behind. Trust MM and GM and PA- they are no mugs.

Guest highamowl

we have a strong enough team to win at the weekend.

we have a strong enough squad to get us through the first few weeks.

we still have several weeks to complete the deals that we are trying to.....

Any new signings now won't play on Saturday anyway. We've got enough to see us through until Aug 31st, and that's the date by which we need another 3/4 players.

No, we need an entire new team in today or the seasons over. Milan promised us he'd spend millions on the team, he has got billions and is too tight to spend it. I think he's softening us up for when we merge with united.

It's the only possible explanation as to why we haven't paid over the odds for unproven or journeymen strikers from teams that are looking to fleece us.

What annoys me most is that for the first time in years we have had a steady pre season, and we haven't capitalized on that by getting a squad together as early as possible.

By waiting like we are we are gambling with the success of this club this season. The thought of another season in this division makes my head hurt.

I'm not saying we should have splashed out whatever, but if it is true we are haggling over a few tens of thousands, then I think we should bite the bullet.

Three signings before kick off tell you!

What happened to you? You seemed like such a sensible lad. Don't you know that if you are right, Megson will have you strung by your balls and if you're wrong, the OT massive will have you strung you by your balls?

(PM me details lol)

Great news about Sid and I hope he makes the recovery needed.

Regarding the signings, many clubs, particularly in the championship are waiting for the unveiling of the premier league squads as there will be a number of players (like Carew, etc) that will need to drop a level to play. The whole Market gets held up by the premiership and their signings, so the slow nature of signings at the minute doesn't surprise me as many of the most quality players will not be available until the end of the window.

As far as mellor goes... If you were being paid 10k a week until you signed a contract worth 6-7k a week, why the heck would you make that deal early? Just by delaying signing for 4 weeks he effectively puts £8,000 in his pocket after higher rate tax. He may want to come but wants to get as much out of Preston as possible before he does.