Overseas Scouting Network

Guest AucklandOwl

Guest AucklandOwl

I have read bucket loads of stories on here about our need for a winger with pace who can finish. Being a Kiwi and a massive Wednesday fan I thought it only right to mention Marco Rojas. If the club are prepared to spend 200k on others i'm sure they would be able to get him for less. He's lightening quick, young and a real talent for the future. His crossing was a major supplier of goals for the Wellington Phoenix and he scored a few too. Currently at the U20 World Cup where New Zealand has just drawn with Uruguay thanks to a Rojas cross. Google this fella all you like, he is good and i'm sure like most young players would jump at the chance to play in England. Anyone people have moaned about the lack of Wednesdays scouting network but if anyone knows where to direct this at the club he is definatley worth checking out.

I have read bucket loads of stories on here about our need for a winger with pace who can finish. Being a Kiwi and a massive Wednesday fan I thought it only right to mention Marco Rojas. If the club are prepared to spend 200k on others i'm sure they would be able to get him for less. He's lightening quick, young and a real talent for the future. His crossing was a major supplier of goals for the Wellington Phoenix and he scored a few too. Currently at the U20 World Cup where New Zealand has just drawn with Uruguay thanks to a Rojas cross. Google this fella all you like, he is good and i'm sure like most young players would jump at the chance to play in England. Anyone people have moaned about the lack of Wednesdays scouting network but if anyone knows where to direct this at the club he is definatley worth checking out.

we've a very narrow field of vision when it comes to player recruitment, we seem to figure that anybody from as far away as london is a johnny foreigner...

i personally am not so sure about the scots any more, and the level of their football...

but there seems to be still a number of lads emerging from ireland that should inspire an interest in us...

perhaps we should go along with a number of southern sides seem to shop well in the non leagues down there...

no sorry mate, i don't see wednesday looking as far as new zealand...

i think both megson, and the club are a 'lil too conservative for that line of thinking...

alleged links in australia through adem poric's academy. doesn't take much to get a little bit further. to be honest it'd take a similar part-time/voluntary network like the one [that i believe] is commonly in place across most clubs throughout the uk...

alleged links in australia through adem poric's academy. doesn't take much to get a little bit further. to be honest it'd take a similar part-time/voluntary network like the one [that i believe] is commonly in place across most clubs throughout the uk...

We also have (had)? links with youth teams in northern California and British Columbia too. McAuley spent time out there a couple of years ago.

I know nothing about our academy, so for those that do - did this ever yield anything? Did any players come over?

I remember the club saying they loved the relationship, due to the number of teenagers on the west coast with British/ European parents and grandparents - thus getting round the work permit issue.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest AucklandOwl

I guess I was really trying to make 2 points. The first is that a player like Rojas has been identified as a future star and when he came off contract he signed for another A League team but if Wednesday was in the know they could have looked at him and made an offer. He wouldn't have cost much and nearly every single player in NZ or Oz would always choose to player in England over other offers. Maybe if the club just had a network of supporters in far flung places like NZ and made contact once a month to ask if anyone was getting good reviews then they could send someone with scouting knowledge to make an assessment.

Secondly the NZ U20 World Cup squad has drawn now with Cameroon and Uruaguay without one of their best players, the much mentioned on this website Chris Wood. Now i'm sure most of the Cameroon and Uruguay players will go on and develop into classy players that cost a lot of money to sign whereas the NZ guys would be cheap as yet would have just as much chance of developing. The work permit thing shouldn't be much of a problem due to many having links back to Great Britain and NZ's world ranking being high thanks to last years World Cup efforts.