What was your first swfc match?

My was 1988/89 season.

Coming from York I was taken to my first (proper) football game for my best mates birthday, who was a Wednesday support. I'd watched York a number of times with my dad but had never been to a big stadium. We were 12 at the time and we lost to Tottenham 4-2, with i think old jug ears (Lineker) scoring a couple for Spurs.

I fell in love with the atmosphere and deafening noise from the old standing Kop and I have been suffering (apart the promotion season) ever since!

Wow - later than I thought. Was it 1-0 ??

Yeah.

It seems that the most common age for a first game is around 8. I'm not sure when my young 'un will be ready to go, he's nearly 4 now but hasn't really shown much interest in football yet despite having had a season ticket since he was 1!

FA Cup Quarter final 1986

Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 West Ham United

Carl Shutt goes clean through and scores a beauty past Parkes to make it 1-0

Nigel Worthigton early second half makes it 2 with a good finish

A very young Tony Cottee scored a cracker to make it 2-1. We hang on to win the game and travelled to Villa Park, only to be knocked out by Everton

FA Cup Quarter final 1986

Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 West Ham United

Carl Shutt goes clean through and scores a beauty past Parkes to make it 1-0

Nigel Worthigton early second half makes it 2 with a good finish

A very young Tony Cottee scored a cracker to make it 2-1. We hang on to win the game and travelled to Villa Park, only to be knocked out by Everton

We were 2-0 up at half time, Cottee scored a (non-cracking) header just after the break to make it one of the longest second halves in memory.

Saturday 24th February 1990. Crystal Palace 1-1 Wednesday. Nigel Worthington scored a fluke for us in the first half when his cross got carried by the wind and Nigel Martyn couldn't palm it out. Mark Bright equalised for Palace in the second half from close range, and then he got sent off five minutes later for an off-the-ball incident with Lawrie Madden. I got in for free by being hoisted onto my dad's shoulder as he went through the turnstiles, but we had to stand with the Palace fans on the old Holmesdale Terrace. After the build-up of finally going to my first match, the anti-climax at seeing a dour hoof-ball draw in a freezing wind at one of the worst grounds I've been to was almost too much for me...

Guest BoomTownOwls

We were 2-0 up at half time, Cottee scored a (non-cracking) header just after the break to make it one of the longest second halves in memory.

The original version by Katie Melua definitely sounded better if I am honest.

1989 against Liverpool, we won 2-0 or 2-1 also think it was the first time Liverpool had come back to Hillsboro. I think most of the Liverpool team cried during the match.

I fell in love with the kop that day, never seem anything like that before with the swaying and noise.

I miss the old kop.