Buy the League

Lot of talk about a ‘competitive budget’ but some confusion about what this means. To be competitive at this level does not mean the ability to pay 500k for a player and give them 8k p/w.

That’s an extravagant budget, not a competitive one. Only Charlton have operated in that manner. Huddersfield have paid 500k for Ward but that was likely funded by sale of Pilkington.

Fact squad’s short a week before the start of the season, shouldn’t mean blame is placed solely with people who conclude the deals. Megson, as the one who identifies the targets, is also responsible.

Targeting Championship players and few from the Premiership, hasn’t exactly made Mandaric’s and Aldridge’s job easy. We’re trying to operate on a League One budget whilst signings players from higher tiers. Megson, by aiming for players such as Koumas, COG and Mellor - who have aspirations of playing at a higher level - has to accept that a waiting game was always going to occur.

Ultimately, I think we’ll end up spending about half a million on 2 strikers and get a midfielder, and this will happen by mid-August. At this point, we’ll probably have spent the second highest amount, net, in the league and have, roughly, the third highest wage budget. However, I’m speculating.

Even if above doesn’t happen, basically beyond doubt that we’ll get another 3 in. Even if these are free transfers, I get feeling certain posters will suggest Megson hasn’t been given necessary resources. I don’t understand why people, justifiably, demanded promotion from Irvine on a free transfer budget but won’t do the same of Megson, operating on a higher wage budget (start of season context)?

Poyet got Brighton up without spending a great deal. Got more out of existing players (Murray); signed young players (Bridcutt); and clever with free transfers (Calderon). A manager doesn’t need the ability to buy the league to be promoted.

I like Megson but I’m not a blind supporter of his, as some seem to be. Mandaric, just by providing a reasonable wage budget, has done his job at this level; any fees paid are a bonus. If Megson wanted swift deals, he should have been more imaginative: looking at players like Barcham and Ryan (signed by Scunny) and getting Grimes, and not such ‘well-known’ players, who we were always going to face an uphill battle to sign.

Exactly,

Competitive doesn't mean the best or highest it means top 3 or 4,

I think we are all very interested to see what will happen to Charlton and/or Huddersfield if they fail to go up,

Also;

Milan said an aggressive push! That means all the team putting in 100% and flippinggoin for it,

If we have the fittest toughest hardest working squad we should be up there with a better level of quality than most teams,

Hard work determination and a good budget should get us up there come Jan, then you asses re group and finish the job,

But only having two strikers is a flippingjoke lol

Pretty much, yes.

Multi millionaire business man

Already lost £7m by not going up last season (his words)

Now faffing about over loose change

Spend some cash or expect to loose another £7m by next May

He's bought a Rolls-Royce and left it under a dust sheet in the garage.

Edited by Rodger Wylde

Exactly,

Competitive doesn't mean the best or highest it means top 3 or 4,

I think we are all very interested to see what will happen to Charlton and/or Huddersfield if they fail to go up,

Also;

Milan said an aggressive push! That means all the team putting in 100% and flippinggoin for it,

If we have the fittest toughest hardest working squad we should be up there with a better level of quality than most teams,

Hard work determination and a good budget should get us up there come Jan, then you asses re group and finish the job,

But only having two strikers is a flippingjoke lol

Think you're right, mate.

There's some things that you can't buy and fitness, commitment, team-spirit are a few of those things.

That's where i reckon Megson will add value, without spending money.

I know above could be construed as Megson bashing, it's not. I just don't think a slow transfer window can just be attributed to Mand and Ald.

People call it a tinpot league but it's hard to get out of. With Megson's approach, reckon we might finally turn Hillsborough into a 'fortress' and pick up points on the road.

Guest scott_andrew_william

It's going to cost us more in the long run, if we fail to achieve promotion. We've missed out on half of Megsons list, he said at least nine. Now we're a week away from the opening game, and in terms of recruitment we're behind teams with similar budgets too us. I wasn't expecting us to buy the league, but I wasn't expecting half a squad.

Lot of talk about a ‘competitive budget’ but some confusion about what this means. To be competitive at this level does not mean the ability to pay 500k for a player and give them 8k p/w.

That’s an extravagant budget, not a competitive one. Only Charlton have operated in that manner. Huddersfield have paid 500k for Ward but that was likely funded by sale of Pilkington.

Fact squad’s short a week before the start of the season, shouldn’t mean blame is placed solely with people who conclude the deals. Megson, as the one who identifies the targets, is also responsible.

Targeting Championship players and few from the Premiership, hasn’t exactly made Mandaric’s and Aldridge’s job easy. We’re trying to operate on a League One budget whilst signings players from higher tiers. Megson, by aiming for players such as Koumas, COG and Mellor - who have aspirations of playing at a higher level - has to accept that a waiting game was always going to occur.

Ultimately, I think we’ll end up spending about half a million on 2 strikers and get a midfielder, and this will happen by mid-August. At this point, we’ll probably have spent the second highest amount, net, in the league and have, roughly, the third highest wage budget. However, I’m speculating.

Even if above doesn’t happen, basically beyond doubt that we’ll get another 3 in. Even if these are free transfers, I get feeling certain posters will suggest Megson hasn’t been given necessary resources. I don’t understand why people, justifiably, demanded promotion from Irvine on a free transfer budget but won’t do the same of Megson, operating on a higher wage budget (start of season context)?

Poyet got Brighton up without spending a great deal. Got more out of existing players (Murray); signed young players (Bridcutt); and clever with free transfers (Calderon). A manager doesn’t need the ability to buy the league to be promoted.

I like Megson but I’m not a blind supporter of his, as some seem to be. Mandaric, just by providing a reasonable wage budget, has done his job at this level; any fees paid are a bonus. If Megson wanted swift deals, he should have been more imaginative: looking at players like Barcham and Ryan (signed by Scunny) and getting Grimes, and not such ‘well-known’ players, who we were always going to face an uphill battle to sign.

anyone not having aspirations of playing at a higher level...is a thrower...

as for a wrong recruitment policy at the club, yes...

you're right we've hardly looked at the better younger players available from clubs...

we seem to have concentrated on older, more established types...

like last season, but better...hence they want more ( too much for milan) money...

by excluding megson from negotiations, milan has (maybe) hidden from him the reality of the situation...

if you, or i. or anyone else were charged with getting us up this season (a must as it seemed)...

we would all have gone for the best players we could have...

to find out half way through that you're second and third choices have been swallowed up by the likes of charlton, and you're first choices want more money than third division wages???

that leaves you with 4th and 5th choices, and the better players gone...

for me the signing of semedo is the only wow! factor one so far...

some are decent, some are good...

but they fall into the better than average bracket...

not the have to get out of this division this season players...

more would like to be in the mix, and only then if we add something up front...

Guest totemowl
It's going to cost us more in the long run, if we fail to achieve promotion. We've missed out on half of Megsons list, he said at least nine. Now we're a week away from the opening game, and in terms of recruitment we're behind teams with similar budgets too us. I wasn't expecting us to buy the league, but I wasn't expecting half a squad.

Don't start getting ridiculous. Megson wanted 23 players. He has 21 which is nowhere near half a squad.

And who are these teams with similar budgets who we're behind? Most teams in L1 seem to be a few players short of what they want.

To be fair to Milan, I don't expect him to spend millions to get us out of this league.

Having said that, I fully expect us to spend MORE than we've actually received from selling Spurr and Morrison.

Maybe we've been too ambitious with our targets so far, but I don't really think Megson ever has carried high hopes in bringing in Koumas to League One. As for trying to sign O'Grady and Mellor - who can blame him really?

I think we should be looking at bringing in at least three more, and we probably will bring in a couple of strikers and a winger. Another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss either, unless Megson has had a change in opinion on Giles Coke. Maybe he believes Cooke's had shown good attitude getting back to fitness in Pre-Season. He probably would have moved on like Potter and the rest if he hadn't.

We've got a lot of quality in the squad, but obviously two wingers and two strikers is a litlle less than we expected. Then again, I'd rather be patient than bringing in just whatever we could get.

The fans certainly have put their hands in their pocket when it comes to buying season tickets and new home shirts!

Edited by Shezza

Don't start getting ridiculous. Megson wanted 23 players. He has 21 which is nowhere near half a squad.

And who are these teams with similar budgets who we're behind? Most teams in L1 seem to be a few players short of what they want.

This^^^^^^

People are forgetting how close we are to having a top 3 squad, tue rest is for tue gids to decide,

Squads much poorer than this have gone up, we need some signings but things are more than fine and if we fail we have some resource to tune up the season after too beacuse we havent done a huddersfield and blown our load on banking a promotion,

I didn't expect us to "buy the league".

However, based on the players we have let go; Teale, Potter, Heffernan, Mellor, Morrison, Spurr...

...and based on the fact we need to strengthen to compete at the top this season...

...and also based on my memory which thinks we were aiming for 9 signings this summer...

... I must admit to expecting more movement than this by now.

Guest scott_andrew_william

Weaver - 1

ROD - 2

A.Jameson (Hardly counts atm)

Rob Jones - 3

Danny Batth - 4

R.Johnson - 5

Julian Bennett - 6

Lewis Buxton - 7

Beevers - 8

Goalkeeper and the defense is fine, we could do with another right back though.

Prutton - 9 - CM

Semedo - 10 - CM

JOC - 11 - Back up

JJ - 12 Currently our best Winger

Daniel Jones - poo poo so he doesn't get a number

Coke - 13 (Has good spells)

Sedders - 14 (Won't last a full season)

Palmer - 15 (Back up)

Centre Mids are fine, but our wings are un-workable.

Madine - 16

Clinton - 17

These strikers will probably get 20 combined at the end of the season.

We need three wingers (if we ship jones out) and two strikers, which won't happen so I don't think we will go up.

Edited by scott_andrew_william

Weaver - 1

ROD - 2

Rob Jones - 3

Danny Batth - 4

R.Johnson - 5

Julian Bennett - 6

Lewis Buxton - 7

Beevers - 8

Prutton - 9 - CM

Semedo - 10 - CM

JOC - 11 - Back up

Palmer - 15 (Back up)

Madine - 16

Clinton - 17

We need three wingers (if we ship jones out) and two strikers, which won't happen so I don't think we will go up.

Show us your badges.

Guest Big Guns

Six months ago I gave an old mate a job he only wanted 300 a week on top so I gave him the job 3 month later when he'd earnt me flip all I sacked him cos he wasn't up to it and lost me money , 2 months ago I took some one on ,on 500 a week and he's helped me move up a level and earns me some good coin ,if you don't no the moral of this true story then flip off lol

Six months ago I gave an old mate a job he only wanted 300 a week on top so I gave him the job 3 month later when he'd earnt me flip all I sacked him cos he wasn't up to it and lost me money , 2 months ago I took some one on ,on 500 a week and he's helped me move up a level and earns me some good coin ,if you don't no the moral of this true story then flip off lol

Deep BG, very deep.

Guest totemowl

Weaver - 1

ROD - 2

Rob Jones - 3

Danny Batth - 4

R.Johnson - 5

Julian Bennett - 6

Lewis Buxton - 7

Beevers - 8

Prutton - 9 - CM

Semedo - 10 - CM

JOC - 11 - Back up

Palmer - 15 (Back up)

Madine - 16

Clinton - 17

I warned you not to get ridiculous but I see you decided to ignore me.

So jameson doesn't count. How bizarre. How many times was he called on last season to play or deputise on the bench? Now are you sure he shouldn't count.

Is 21 no longer a number because of an EEC directive? Or is that actually a number that Daniel Jones has on his shirt.

And good of you to list Megson's squad. Now count them - I think you'll find it adds up to more than half of 23.

PS Talking about halves, you didn't bother to answer my 2nd question. Then again, I can now see how you might struggle with that.

Guest Triplej2

WTF? Buy the league?

We're just saying we need about 3 more signings, 2 strikers and a creative CM.

Another sh*te sensationalist patronising thread.

Which is why they're more likely to get promotion.

We've made a few sales, so why the flip are we messing around with 200k bids?

How old are you bg?

I have an odd feeling i'm a younger version the more i read your posts,

Or possibly a future version of my self (me sen)

What advice would you give to yourself in your early gwenties if you could go back?

WTF? Buy the league?

We're just saying we need about 3 more signings, 2 strikers and a creative CM.

Another sh*te sensationalist patronising thread.

From this reaction, i presume you've only read the title.

As always, the devil's in the detail. If you're able to, re-read the post, and maybe you'll reconsider your reaction.

Unfortunately, i'm unable to release an 'audio' version of the post or illustrate the point with pictures, so if you're unable to grapple with the content ......

I'll tell you what, i'm simplify it for you, the essence of the thread isn't questioning the need for 3 players, which EVERYONE is in agreement about, it's suggesting expectations regarding who these three players should be, and how much money should be spent on them, is possibly unrealistic. And there's a second theme that, the reason those 3 players are yet to arrive, isn't only down to Mandaric and Aldridge.

I'll accept this post may have been potentially patronising.