Steve Howard

Guest intercity0wl

Hoofball is percentage football.

Direct ball is playing long passes with a purpose.

The best football teams in England are able to vary their style of play in a match. Playing the same style over and over again becomes predictable and is easy to counteract.

Why our fans are obsessed with playing football the correct way, I shall never know. Since I have been watching Wednesday we have played proper football for about 4 years out of 32. Even in those 3 years we were still fairly direct, however we did have players capable of playing football in the last third but most importantly our play had variation.

Guest Saturday Owl

I don't see what the relevance of being in league one has to do with not playing football? Especially as the most successful teams in our division play good football Rather proves my point I reckon

Only because we let them, look at Stevenage in League Two last season. Had a pretty poor squad for a top 7 side but didn't let teams play against them.

We need to be like that, but better!

I understand maybe why Stevenage might do it but don't understand why we have to Why not use teams like Brighton, Southampton, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Bournemouth ect as our role models. They are successful in our division not bloody Stevenage.

Only because we let them, look at Stevenage in League Two last season. Had a pretty poor squad for a top 7 side but didn't let teams play against them.

We need to be like that, but better!

I agree.

You have to win the physical and mental battle first and foremost.

Fight for the right to play football.

Take the initiative and apply early pressure.

Getting Hillsborough excited early will be half the battle.

We cannot allow teams to come with the same gameplan that has proven to work time and time again.

I understand maybe why Stevenage might do it but don't understand why we have to Why not use teams like Brighton, Southampton, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Bournemouth ect as our role models. They are successful in our division not bloody Stevenage.

All of those teams can mix it when they have to.

The point is they didn't really have to against us anyway.

I want to see winning football.

I couldn't give a flying **** whether that winning football comes from playing like Wimbledon, like Barcelona or like Kiveton Park.

As long as we win.

Oh and SteveHoward would be a very good signing for this level.

Edited by BRADDAZ

I'm with you on earning the right to play, all good teams must do that It's what happens next, having stood strong then we must try and get the ball down and play

No, what we must do is put the ball in the back of the net more times than the opposition.

If you're expecting "good" football, as in short tippy tappy nice free flowing passing football then you're going to be disappointed.

Oh, and in my opinion good football is winning football, no matter how that comes. There is no right or wrong way of playing the game, just the winning that matters. (apart from cheating, which is obviously wrong).

Edited by BRADDAZ

I'm with you on earning the right to play, all good teams must do that It's what happens next, having stood strong then we must try and get the ball down and play

I think that you're a little bit worried that GM's toughened us up.

I think that he's done it so far without the barriers you put up against him being able to do it i.e. player comings and goings/wages.

I think that you've already taken your "style of play" bat out of the cupboard because your struggling to whack him with the others you've got to hit him with.

I hope we win a scrappy 1-0 every week from a set-piece, dodgy penalty, goal mouth scramble or a knock down from a long punt upfield and go up as champions.

Just to see your (internet) face.

Can't agree with you on that, football should be played mainly on the grass in my opinion. Let's just agree to differ

Did you say that when Sturrock got us promoted?

I think some people need to remember how ugly we were that season. Infact it wasn't even that we were playing ugly and getting results, we were just a bad team that played like sh*t for most of the season and but for Kenwyne Jones, a strange upturn in form from Adam Proudlock and a good spell between November and January we might not have gone up at all. We were a dog sh*t side to watch, playing bad football and in some ways got lucky.

At least this team look's like it's prepared to play ugly but play ugly by design. We're equipped for a tear up and we're equipped to play a certain way. I'm not sure why people get so hung up on playing one touch, fluid passing football. This might just be me but I find the prospect of watching Semedo, Jones, Reda and Madine destroying players physically quite amusing actually. Bring it on.

Again, there's the confusion between saying that Sturrock's brand of football was ugly and saying he was a bad manager. Some people just can't differentiate between the two.

Why was Sturrock's football "effective" but Megson's is apparently going to be "ugly"? Why did we have players who knew their job towards this "effective" game (Craig Rocastle?) the but apparently don't now (Semedo? Jones? Reda? Madine?)?

I'm not criticising Sturrock. Not for a second. But we were NOT an attractive team to watch under Paul Sturrock and for large parts of his tenure here weren't even that "effective" as you put it. Like I said, even in the season we went up we both started and ended that season quite badly. I think people should remember that before slagging off Megson or making demands for pretty football. I'd argue we're far better equipped to play "effective" football with the players Megson has brought in than we were with any under Sturrock at the time.

It depends what you mean by effective football I suppose. Personally I would support the football we played under Megson at the back end of the season. It was effective and entertaining, and now with better players, it should be even more effective. What was played when he first took charge, I wi never accept and to my mind, other than the odd result, it was largely ineffective.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Dunno Dave. We were very effective at times. We bullied a few teams to.

Yup, the run pre Xmas-early Feb we bullied a lot of teams and won a lot of points, not to mention the wins at Bristol C, Stockport etc

When we were on form we were, yes. We were effective playing the type of football we needed to play to get out of this league.

The original point was why was it acceptable then under Sturrock but seemingly not now under Megson. It's clear from his signings that Megson want's us to be a physically competetive side. With the spine of our team as it is, we're not going to lose matches this season because we're too soft. I think the signings we've made show a clear signal of intent that we're ready to bully teams again. It might be at the expense of pretty football, but if it gets us out of this league then personally I don't care, and I'm frankly baffled why others would be. The priority is to get out of this division, and if Steve Howard is the sort of player that Megson thinks will fit into his plans and do a job for him how he wants to play the game this season then so be it.