Hardest part to come

When GM took over the size of his task was a massive one , firstly in defence we were a pushover and too easily bullied and secondly woefully lacking in pace and creativity going forward.

The summers activity so far has gone a long way towards rectifying one of these problems , the signings of Jones , Prutton , Semedo and Bennett will make us far stronger and much more competitive , and in addition we,ve managed to offload a reasonable amount of deadwood and although theres still more to prune , progress has definately been made.

However i have to admit to being slightly concerned that our progressive options havent improved in any way...................this is and always was going to be the hardest part of the rebuilding job as players in this category are the most sought after.

In my eyes we,re desperate for a creative midfielder and a striker with PACE , the courting of Koumas and Dyer shows that GM recognises this but it would appear that they,re both out of our reach and the longer we leave signing alternative options the more difficult it will get.

Mellor and O, Grady seem to be targets but in all honesty this would still leave our attack looking very one dimensional....................................just a thought but maybe GM will have to bite the bullet and enter the loan market in his search for the players who can add that finishing touch?

I think we're 2 signings short of starting the season in a great position. Add a left winger and another striker and I think we'd have a team that could get promoted. As much as I agree that we need another creative outlet from midfield, I don't think it would be a disaster if we started the season with Semedo and Prutton or Coke. Prutton's ball distribution would be sufficient enough to see us alright I think (especially with pace on both flanks and hopefully a quicker striker than Morrison) and Coke has shown in the past he's capable going forward, a role which I'd like to think he'd do well in again with a proper holding player next to him in Semedo.

A left winger and a striker should be our priorities now I believe. If we've got the room and the right player becomes available, a third and fourth signing (being a creative central midfielder and another striker) would be the icing on the cake.

At this point I'm still confident.

I think we're 2 signings short of starting the season in a great position. Add a left winger and another striker and I think we'd have a team that could get promoted. As much as I agree that we need another creative outlet from midfield, I don't think it would be a disaster if we started the season with Semedo and Prutton or Coke. Prutton's ball distribution would be sufficient enough to see us alright I think (especially with pace on both flanks and hopefully a quicker striker than Morrison) and Coke has shown in the past he's capable going forward, a role which I'd like to think he'd do well in again with a proper holding player next to him in Semedo.

A left winger and a striker should be our priorities now I believe. If we've got the room and the right player becomes available, a third and fourth signing (being a creative central midfielder and another striker) would be the icing on the cake.

At this point I'm still confident.

Agree. Both a striker and a winger is an absolute must imo. Especially with JJ and his dodgy form hamstring.

The addition of Batth wouldn't go a miss either. I've got a feeling we are going to see a good season from Beevers, but with Rob Jones being a little prone to injury, Batth would come in very handy. The back 4 would look like a promotion winning defence then.

When GM took over the size of his task was a massive one , firstly in defence we were a pushover and too easily bullied and secondly woefully lacking in pace and creativity going forward.

The summers activity so far has gone a long way towards rectifying one of these problems , the signings of Jones , Prutton , Semedo and Bennett will make us far stronger and much more competitive , and in addition we,ve managed to offload a reasonable amount of deadwood and although theres still more to prune , progress has definately been made.

However i have to admit to being slightly concerned that our progressive options havent improved in any way...................this is and always was going to be the hardest part of the rebuilding job as players in this category are the most sought after.

In my eyes we,re desperate for a creative midfielder and a striker with PACE , the courting of Koumas and Dyer shows that GM recognises this but it would appear that they,re both out of our reach and the longer we leave signing alternative options the more difficult it will get.

Mellor and O, Grady seem to be targets but in all honesty this would still leave our attack looking very one dimensional....................................just a thought but maybe GM will have to bite the bullet and enter the loan market in his search for the players who can add that finishing touch?

Have to agree with you that it is an increasing concern with regards to how we're going to go about attacking teams next season.

Looking at the signings already made this summer, I think Megson is going to make us a difficult side to beat next term which is the foundation of any decent side, but with regards to how we perform in the final third, we've let players go and not replaced them.

We've now only got 2 strikers and when you take JJ out of the mid-field it leaves us with very little creativity as although we have a solid looking mid-field, other than JJ the rest of our mid-fielders are more workman like type players and looking at the poor service our strikers had last season, it is a concern that this has yet to be addressed just 4 weeks ahead of he new season.

For me, I'd like to see a new striker coming in, a winger and a ball playing central mid-fielder.

I think the closer we get to the season, if our targets haven't gone anywhere else, they'll become closer to our reach. I still think we'll get Mellor, his options are running out and no matter wot they say Preston need to get rid.

I can't see teams clamoring over Koumas at the mo, my only worry is, he's not training with anyone so will be behind. I think a winger will be the problem, Dyer seems content to sit on the bench and unless Leicester decide he's got to move on, I can't see him going anywhere. Defence is our strongest position IMO so I wouldn't worry too much about Batth.

Just a thought re: Koumas. David Sullivan was on SSN saying West Ham are still paying someone like Upson £50k a week til he either finds another club or somekind of notice period finishes.

With Koumas rumoured to be on £20-25k at Wigan, is he the type of lads to ring every penny out of a similar arrangement? His offers in Championship and L1 won't match half his current rumours.

He'll sign for someone week before FL season starts IMO. Hope it's us.

I think this is very important. The fact that GM knows what is needed, but unfortunately the fact that we are a league 1 club, paying league 1 wages (which I agree with) appears to be hindering us.

I just hope people acknowledge it for what it is. If we can't get the players we ideally want, lets not get on GM's back and blame him for players not wanting to drop to league 1.

Unlike Irvine, who had money to burn and went and rinsed £1.3m on a new defence when it was glaringly obvious we needed midfielders.

Guest utOwlz

Most teams that get promoted have 2 players in every position, at this moment in time we have no flipping left wingers! so for me we need to sign 2 left wingers because i dont class D.Jones as a left winger, no offence to the lad but hes pants in that position.

We need at least 1 striker and a creative central midfielder like a Koumas type, dont think we will get him but someone like him (dont ask me who)

So for me 4 new signings needed otherwise forget promotion. If we sign 1 left winger and he gets injured we will probably be playing Jones there who iv already said is garbage, or we would play JJ there which would mean having to rely on Sedgwick on the right and that scares the flipping life out of me!

I trust in Megson so whatever he decides we go with il back him.

UTO

Ideally we'll have two more strikers and two wingers. At the moment we don't have enough strength in depth in either of those positions. 2 strikers (Morrison and Madine) and JJ and Sedgwick (and Jones at a push) to cover the wide positions isn't good enough.

Then on top of that, i'd still be looking for another CM who offers more going forward, and Danny Batth if we can get him on loan.

In a perfect world, all of them would be permanent signings but in reality, a couple of loans and a couple of proper transfers would be fine.

I think we're gonna have to rely on Sedewick and Jones as back-up wingers, else there's no point having them (and clearly we haven't recieved any decent offers for them).

Therefore that leaves us needing 1 left footed winger, a creative midfielder who can hopefully get goals, and 2 more strikers (preferably one pacy, one good in the air).

Dyer, Koumas, O'grady/Mc Donald, and Mellor are clearly the preffered choices, but if we get them I haven't heard many backup choices rumoured apart from O'Grady which is the slightly worrying thing.

I do hope we have backup targets in mind should these guys not work out, else we are gonna be stuck. Would expect we are looking at other targets but why suddenly the lack of interest/rumours recently?

Guest utOwlz

I think we're gonna have to rely on Sedewick and Jones as back-up wingers, else there's no point having them (and clearly we haven't recieved any decent offers for them).

Therefore that leaves us needing 1 left footed winger, a creative midfielder who can hopefully get goals, and 2 more strikers (preferably one pacy, one good in the air).

Dyer, Koumas, O'grady/Mc Donald, and Mellor are clearly the preffered choices, but if we get them I haven't heard many backup choices rumoured apart from O'Grady which is the slightly worrying thing.

I do hope we have backup targets in mind should these guys not work out, else we are gonna be stuck. Would expect we are looking at other targets but why suddenly the lack of interest/rumours recently?

Why do you think Jones is our back up left winger? He was brought to the club as a left back and he himself has said numerous times he doesnt like playing left midfield. Also he is terrible on the left side of midfield, he hasnt impressed once playing left wing. So for me Jones is our back up left back so we still need 2 left wingers imo.

Why do you think Jones is our back up left winger? He was brought to the club as a left back and he himself has said numerous times he doesnt like playing left midfield. Also he is terrible on the left side of midfield, he hasnt impressed once playing left wing. So for me Jones is our back up left back so we still need 2 left wingers imo.

IMO if we get O'Grady we will only need 1 left winger,it looks like we are going to play 4-2-3-1, jj as 1 wide attacker and c.o.g as the other leaving madine,mellor?,and morrison fighting for the role up front. The other must is a creative mid in between jj and c.o.g.

While I'm sure Megson would want the players in yesterday so that they have time to gel, it's more important we get the right players. If we have to wait to sign the likes of Koumas, Mellor or any players coming off big contracts (was Fagan another mentioned?) that would be worth it in the long run.

O'Grady looks like a player who would give us options out wide or up front, so I'd expect them to try and sort that quickly, but there might be a wait for the rest. Like you say, if they don't sign then loans might come in.

I think the defence is looking good [injuries aside], but if we can add Batth then it would be a strong defence. With Semado sitting in front of the back 4 [if used this way] hopefully we should concede less. However, attack is always the best form of defence and the midfield worries me somewhat.

We desperately need a strong attacking midfield player, who can chip in with 10+ goals per season. We also need a creative winger, with pace, who can deliver. Up front, we need someone who is will ing to get stuck in, chase lost causes and of course, put the ball in the onion bag.

As for who can fill these roles, I am not certain. We seem to be struggling to get players in, for whatever reason, so maybe we should blood some of the younger palyers and see what they are capable of.

I think Sedgwick will become decent cover for the left wing position. Surely Bennett will / likes to go forward a lot from left back, so I think GM will like Sedgwick & think he'd be the ideal cover we need in tough away games like 'Uddersfield.

Although we do need a left winger (for the home games). Won't be happy if the 'Yorkshire Express' starts against Rochdale.

Its now almost three weeks since i posted this thread and whilst im still anxious it has to be said that virtually all of GM,s targets are still available.

Le Fondre , Mellor , Roberts , O,Grady and McDonald , COULD all still be feasibly tempted away from their present clubs , and i for one am happy that MM is refusing to be taken for a tw@t.

It looks like we may have to get by for a few weeks with what we have , but i,m sure come the end of the month that some of these clubs will have blinked first.

I cant say i,m over enthused with a few of these targets but if GM,s signings so far are anything to go by hes earned a little leeway when it comes to trust as his acquisitions so far have been a marked improvement on what we already had.

There are still plenty of options out there.......................to the ones already named you could add McIndoe , Barnes , Fagan , Howard...................................................................................................and im probably deluding myself , but the longer Koumas goes without getting fixed up the more i,m allowing myself to dream!!!!!!

All I know is that unless new players, 4 at least IMO arrive urgently, this season is going to be flipping dire, solid at the back but no creativity or attacking threat and hoping for a set piece to win the game. I cannot believe that any other league club would go into the season with so few strikers on the books. It is embarrassing and while I am sure that everyone behind the scenes is working hard to bring in players, results need to be seen in order for results on the pitch to become reality.