Fortress Hillsborough

Hi all, I have got my tin hat on ready for the minus bashing this will probably get :blush: I have just got in from the Longford Town v Millwall friendly where I had a 10 or so minute chat with Darren Purse (wore my Wednesday shirt and he came over) very nice bloke, and I don't give a rats arse what you Purse haters think :ph34r: any way one of the things he passed comment on was how every team came to Wednesday and the game plan was to put pressure on us for the first 15 to 20 mins knowing full well the fans would react the way we did. He wasn't laying blame with the fans but said it does put undue pressure on the team, so with that said this season Hillsborough needs to be a place the opposition don't want to come to, those of you that are there every home game need to get right behind the team, even if things are not going right... the reason I say this is because I have read last seasons posts re booing of fans and getting on their backs after 10, 15, 20 mins because we had not scored or they were playing poo etc etc, so lets get behind the team and become that 12 man that every team in the world call their fans. :rolleyes:

I agree with the sentiment of thr OP, but it works both ways.

If players put a shift in and try and get on the ball and make things happen, they won't get a better backing from any other supporters in the league, regardless of the scoreline. Look at the rousing applause and encouragement at half time in our home game against Colchester as an example of this.

If however players go missing and put in little effort they will get absolutely slated.

We're no fools, we know our players aren't Champions League quality and we can make allowances for this.

What we can't, however, make allowances for is a lack of passion, fight and responsibility. If our players show these qualities playing at Hillsborough will be a really enjoyable experience for them.

The good news is, gary megson knows exactly this point having experienced being both a fan and a player at Hillsborough, and he has hammered this home to our lads. Imo, it was when they finally took this point on board that our home form rocketed (4 wins from 5 was it?) and with some strong, leader type players coming in (Jones, Prutton, Semedo) I have a good feeling we won't be discussing 'the Hillsborough crowd' next season (well, only to say how awesome we are :biggrin:)

If Purse and co. weren't so poo poo on so many occasions then maybe we wouldn't have been so negative towards him and the team.

Team puts in effort and commitment and plays decent then the crowd will back them. But if the team lacks effort and commitment (even if it's only an handful of players) and play poo poo then the crowd will start getting negative.

Doesn't need Einstein to work that one out.

Funny how players who do have a reasonably succesful time of it here always tend to praise te fans.

It's funny how the fans were never on the back's of the players at the start of the season when we were doing well.

Infact, didn't the atmosphere only start to turn ugly after the players decided to embark on that absolutely embarrassing run of being humped EVERY SINGLE WEEK and shipping 3/4/5 goals week in week out that might well have got us relegated?

I don't care what anybody says (particularly Darren Purse), I thought most of last seasons frustrations were pretty understandable, given that at times it was quite obvious several of those players were just taking the absolute p*ss. But I guess it's a catch 22 situation. Players don't want to play anymore, fans get on their backs, players get even more frustrated and don't want to play anymore.

This seasons a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. Most of the dross has gone, first full season under Milan and Megson. If this group of players don't disgrace the club, drag the shirt through the f*cking gutter and spit in the face of every single paying fan from December onwards then I'm sure they'll be fine.

If Purse and co. weren't so poo poo on so many occasions then maybe we wouldn't have been so negative towards him and the team.

100% agree.

The players at Hillsborough (Purse included) are bloody lucky to have fans as loyal and committed as they are, with all the poo poo that they have been served up.

Purse should keep quiet and look in the mirror.

The fans can make Hillsborough a really intimidating place to come if we have 17k+ fans chanting before and during the game that should have an effect on players used to playing in fornt of 3-4k fans a week Megson will know this and will get them up for it so the crowd get behind us and on the oppositions back

Anyone remember the Colchester game? We gave it our all in the first half and the fans reacted unbelievably. Purse is using the fans as a scapegoat for the teams inept performances.

100% this.

The players under the previous manager were just looking for any excuse, we started many games too lethargic, the players either lacked bottle or heart or both. When players sign for Wednesday they know we have a big fanbase, if all they want to do is pick up a salary, then we have every right to let them know what we think of them. I can accept being beaten by a better team, I cannot accept anyone in a Wednesday shirt not putting a shift in.

I've met Purse a few times and he is a very likable bloke, but the first 6 months of his Wednesday career were littered with poor performances, he didn't start looking anything like until we were into January, he won't come out and say I hold my hands up, I've been gash, it's much easier to blame the fanbase.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

He said exactly the same in an interview and I have to agree, I've mentioned it to a few players and they've all said the same. When things are going well it's the best place in the world, but when things are going bad it's flipping horrible. I've noticed it from the stands, but then again it's been like it for years

Guest 03 owl

I understand that managers of the opposition wanted to play our fears, with the off the field stuff players maybe not doing it, aware of pending things, feeling pressure building even when you have not kicked a ball ( if you can get at these in the first 20 mins the crowd will change and it's all about men behind the ball and consolidate we will get a result here ) i don't begrudge that as it was the truth last season.

This Season however we have people in charge from the off who and no disrespect to anyone, they have a better idea of coaching, psychology and implementing training directed at individual players which is incorporated in the overall team plans, which the first team coach and megson have formulated and Tailored to get us straight out of the traps.

2 more strikers plus 2 more 1 left winger and a winger/forward both sides playable.

Anyone remember the Colchester game? We gave it our all in the first half and the fans reacted unbelievably. Purse is using the fans as a scapegoat for the teams inept performances.

As I say in my post he wasn't having a go at the fans, just saying that it can be intimidating just as much as a buzzing Hillsborough can be for the opposing team.

100% this.

The players under the previous manager were just looking for any excuse, we started many games too lethargic, the players either lacked bottle or heart or both. When players sign for Wednesday they know we have a big fanbase, if all they want to do is pick up a salary, then we have every right to let them know what we think of them. I can accept being beaten by a better team, I cannot accept anyone in a Wednesday shirt not putting a shift in.

I've met Purse a few times and he is a very likable bloke, but the first 6 months of his Wednesday career were littered with poor performances, he didn't start looking anything like until we were into January, he won't come out and say I hold my hands up, I've been gash, it's much easier to blame the fanbase.

Well tonight he did, and he knows that it didn't adhere him to a majority of that fanbase, and again as in the original post he didn't slate the fans, he was just stating how it effected the players both seasoned pro's and the younger members of the squad. And yes I agree there was many a time that we rolled over and didn't put a shift in and hopefully that will change for this season.

Hi all, I have got my tin hat on ready for the minus bashing this will probably get :blush: I have just got in from the Longford Town v Millwall friendly where I had a 10 or so minute chat with Darren Purse (wore my Wednesday shirt and he came over) very nice bloke, and I don't give a rats arse what you Purse haters think :ph34r: any way one of the things he passed comment on was how every team came to Wednesday and the game plan was to put pressure on us for the first 15 to 20 mins knowing full well the fans would react the way we did. He wasn't laying blame with the fans but said it does put undue pressure on the team, so with that said this season Hillsborough needs to be a place the opposition don't want to come to, those of you that are there every home game need to get right behind the team, even if things are not going right... the reason I say this is because I have read last seasons posts re booing of fans and getting on their backs after 10, 15, 20 mins because we had not scored or they were playing poo etc etc, so lets get behind the team and become that 12 man that every team in the world call their fans. :rolleyes:

Too right brother/sister

Guest 03 owl

Well tonight he did, and he knows that it didn't adhere him to a majority of that fanbase, and again as in the original post he didn't slate the fans, he was just stating how it effected the players both seasoned pro's and the younger members of the squad. And yes I agree there was many a time that we rolled over and didn't put a shift in and hopefully that will change for this season.

I Will Stick my neck out, never booed a Wednesday player ever, i have as a team at full time but it's only as they have lost and the players will be gutted anyway so cheering them would be weird IMO. Also i think Purse in the twilight zone of AL was made the fall guy and every 1 fell for it, there is a lot more than just 90 mins on sat or a tues night as your trying to bring to lite :biggrin: .

He said exactly the same in an interview and I have to agree, I've mentioned it to a few players and they've all said the same. When things are going well it's the best place in the world, but when things are going bad it's flipping horrible. I've noticed it from the stands, but then again it's been like it for years

Part the probelm last season was our inability to retain possession. When you see 5 yard passes not reaching their targets then you do tend to start to moan. Players cant have it both ways. if they play for a well supported club then you will be in a superb atmosphere when things are going well, but on the flip side you have to have the mental strength to push through when things arent going so well.

I like the fact that GM has stated that players can still do 2 things when the chips are down..... run and talk. we will not be beaten on effort this season, which is worth alot of points in its own right

Guest 03 owl

Part the probelm last season was our inability to retain possession. When you see 5 yard passes not reaching their targets then you do tend to start to moan. Players cant have it both ways. if they play for a well supported club then you will be in a superb atmosphere when things are going well, but on the flip side you have to have the mental strength to push through when things arent going so well.

I like the fact that GM has stated that players can still do 2 things when the chips are down..... run and talk. we will not be beaten on effort this season, which is worth alot of points in its own right

I like the fact he said that and he is setting his team up in that way, we had seen shade's of this towards the end of last season.