You're Having A Laugh Wednesday

shirtjk.jpg

shortsg.jpg

Now, here we have our new away kit, derided by many, so I thought I would have another look at it to see if it had grown on me. So I went to the online store and was greeted by these pictures. Now some may say, 'oh yes, thats our away kit', and be done, but if you have a closer look and compare our online marketing/shop with other clubs I think you will find ours to be, for want of a better phrase, total poo !!

In this current climate of spending cuts, little spare cash to spend and a kit that has, at best, been received with a lukewarm response, you would think the club would do its upmost to try and sell it, but instead we get these unbelieveable marketing shots.

1. You would at least expect a couple of current players to be modeling them, (no disrespect to the two lads from the ticket office), surely that wouldnt take too much of their valuable time.

2. Would it have really been too much to ask to move another 40 yards from the dumping ground that is the ground floor of the North Stand, (see discarded pallet in the background of the shirt pic!) and to a pitchside location?

3. In the shorts photo, it looks like hes been to bed in his kit, cant decide whether to tuck the shirt in or not and it shows neither of the logos.

So, a) whos idea was it, b) who took the pictures, and most importantly,c) who passed it to be published online?!

Shocked and dismayed,

RW.

There isn't a marketing department anymore or anyone one individual particularly responsible for owning the Sheffield Wednesday 'brand'.

Paul's plan was for each department to be responsible for their own marketing (to reduce costs). So, the online shop, kit launches etc belong to the new Head of Retail. I think the main problem here was that it was left too late and the players had gone away for the summer, hence the ticket office staff being used.

Not sure who took the photo's or thought that they looked OK but hopefully they have something better planned for the home kit!

Guest Johnbloodaxe

The away kit is awful, looks like a chavvy sloppy grey bloody leggings thing that some dobber of a fat lass wouldl wear...

Sorry to all chavvy dobber fat lasses... but it's true... worst away strip of ours I've ever seen...

Bloody awful....

Football Shirts are mostly bought by blokes for themselves or their kids so hopefully it would not take too much time up whilst studying for a marketing degree to work out that put the shirt on a good looking girl with a good figure = more sales put the shirt on a skinny kid ( No disrespect ) stood next to a pallett will probably = less sales.

How can this kind of stuff be this difficult.

Couldn't agree more. Clunge sells.

There isn't a marketing department anymore or anyone one individual particularly responsible for owning the Sheffield Wednesday 'brand'.

Paul's plan was for each department to be responsible for their own marketing (to reduce costs). So, the online shop, kit launches etc belong to the new Head of Retail. I think the main problem here was that it was left too late and the players had gone away for the summer, hence the ticket office staff being used.

Not sure who took the photo's or thought that they looked OK but hopefully they have something better planned for the home kit!

I have studied and worked with people in marketing in the past and have often been cynical about what they do and the effect that they have but this seemingly highlights what a shambles can be made of marketing if the people involved do not have the right experience.

I understand the club wanting to make savings in certain areas but to completely disband the marketing arm of the club may be something that they will regret in hindsight.

Does the head of retail know anything about marketing or his/her experience running a retail shop

Those photos are so Ludicrous.

Now this is how you market a new kit..... :rolleyes:

Someone should show that to SUFC's marketing people, it actually works with it all being completely in jest. United's advert was comically serious in a way that I could scarcely even believe it was real. I was 100% sure it was an Owlstalk joke when I first saw it.

I have studied and worked with people in marketing in the past and have often been cynical about what they do and the effect that they have but this seemingly highlights what a shambles can be made of marketing if the people involved do not have the right experience.

I understand the club wanting to make savings in certain areas but to completely disband the marketing arm of the club may be something that they will regret in hindsight.

I made the same comments to Paul when I was told the news.

They'll end up using an external agency which will [significantly] not save them any money in the long run OR take on new marketing staff.

Does the head of retail know anything about marketing or his/her experience running a retail shop

Those photos are so Ludicrous.

He's got plenty of experience of working in football retail and has worked for a number of other clubs - think he currently also spends some time with Wolves.

To my knowledge he doesn't have any specific marketing experience, qualifications or training. I guess at clubs like Wolves they will have in house designers and a marketing team to look after that sort of thing.

Guest AnotherOwl

If only there was a nearby football pitch or something, where the kit could have been modeled!

We need a strong marketing department to pull in new fans, and bring in as much money as possible from current ones. Some greater professionalism and expertise is needed it seems.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

It takes the edgy urban look to new levels... :dry:

Makes the club look amateurish and does not inspire confidence in the club to get even the simple things right- I'd get these redone as soon as possible - before you get sued by Puma for b@stardising heroin chic.

It takes the edgy urban look to new levels... :dry:

Makes the club look amateurish and does not inspire confidence in the club to get even the simple things right- I'd get these redone as soon as possible - before you get sued by Puma for b@stardising heroin chic.

No longer my concern :)

...right....poo kit, poo pics and don't they even own a flipping iron and ironing board..............a little effort and a little imagination costs nothing and they could have asked on here for someone to step in and help them out with taking the bloody photographs surely.

Let's just hope it's the result of tail end decisions from the last regime ...dear god even the last bunch did better than that with the Proudlock 'wee wee tail' shot in the grey kit before...at least that was funny..