Charlton

Guest thekelch

Guest thekelch

As I'm sure most Wednesdayites are, I'm getting a bit annoyed with Charlton hoovering up all of the available League One talent (although we have nicked their Captain and POTS which is nice), some of whom, like Green were our targets.

But having thought about it this shouldn't be all that suprising. For someone like Green who is under 25, Charlton are probably a bigger club. If you're of that age, in your football watching lifetime Charlton have been in the PL longer than us, and challenging for Europe and the top half during that time. He will have no memories at all of us getting to cup semi finals etc. Also the pull of London cannot be under-estimated, not just for footballers but for anyone (90% of people I went to uni with moved to London within a year despite being from all over the country).

Whilst its not nice to think of CAFC - with their irritating family values music and appalling atmosphere and trophyless history - being a bigger draw for players than us I'm afraid its probably the position we're in at the moment and we need to get things in perspective if we're going to pick up realistic targets for the new season. I trust MM and GM to get us back to where we belong (eg at least a division above Charlton) but as things stand they're going to be able to attract more players than us.

I think they have made some pretty decent signings. I dont think they are bigger than us but geographically they do have an advantage. Im not sure how quickly they will be able to get that squad to gel though. will be a good test for the manager.

I still think we are in a better position than we were this time last year so im happy.

Apart from Green I wasn't aware that we were in for any of the players they have signed. And with Green I thought the issue was that they didn't accept our bid so it wasn't like Green turned us down for them. Some players will always want to live in London and that if fair enough. However I doubt very much that Charlton as a club are a bigger draw than us. As big at a stretch (a very big stretch) but bigger... no way.

Guest BoomTownOwls

What a load of b0llocks!

When I was growing up Newcastle were never in the top division and Leeds were at the bottom of the second tier. I still knew of their history and fan base and that they were far bigger clubs than Watford, Luton and Wimbledon who were playing in Wembley finals.

Danny Green went to Charlton for two reasons:-

1. Wednesday didn't even have an offer accepted by Dagenham i.e. Charlton outbid us.

2. He has a score to settle with Charlton. He was with them as a kid, told he wasn't good enough and discarded. He wants to show he is good enough. In addition he lives there!

Furthermore, we weren't even after any of their other signings and as you say we have signed their Player of the Season, therefore I have no idea whatsoever what on earth you are going on about!

And what is this success that Charlton have achieved during the life time of a 25 year old? 7 seasons in The Premier League.

Wednesday have been in The Premier League for 13 of the last 25 seasons.

Even apart from that, any footballing person who thinks that Charlton Athletic are even remotely as big as Wednesday really are not worth considering.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

One thing is that Green got released from Charlton as a boy, and they are the team he supports. So if you get the chance to play for them you would snap it up. Not surprised he chose them really, he was alwasy going to.

Guest lukeCAFC

Who are these players you are chasing that are proven at a higher level? Just wondering, ive seen Dyer has pretty much ruled himself out of a move to you guys? Problem with championship players coming down a level is that its probably because their not good enough to play there. I think clubs like us and yourselves are best of buying the top league 1 players. Proven at this level and thats what we are after.

I can see this season being us and you battling it out at the top! with huddersfield there about aswell, although they look like they wont be as strong as last season. No pilkington and Rhodes will probably be off. And team to watch is definatly Brentford, got some good young players there.

Load of poo .

As far as I'm aware they've only signed one of our targets, which we only made a derisory offer and didn't come back with more as we didn't value him much more.

Meanwhile they've taken off a fringe player from us and we've signed their play of thr year from last year.

How on earth can you say players are rejecting us for a 'bigger club' like Charlton?

What you basing it on?

Green? A guy who didn't even get chance to talk terms with us and didn't have a chance to turn us down and sign for the 'bigger' club.

Your post is utter garbage.

Charlton are at the same level as us and I would say we have just as much if not more potential than they do. Danny Green went there as he was an ex trainee and wanted to return.

Everyone knows how big SWFC could be and now there is actually a chance of setting us off in the right direction, if players arent drawn to that then more fool them.

Who are these players you are chasing that are proven at a higher level? Just wondering, ive seen Dyer has pretty much ruled himself out of a move to you guys? Problem with championship players coming down a level is that its probably because their not good enough to play there. I think clubs like us and yourselves are best of buying the top league 1 players. Proven at this level and thats what we are after.

I can see this season being us and you battling it out at the top! with huddersfield there about aswell, although they look like they wont be as strong as last season. No pilkington and Rhodes will probably be off. And team to watch is definatly Brentford, got some good young players there.

Charlton have signed some good players on paper. Up and coming ones.

But I dont see much of a spine there to be honest.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Serious question, what defines a clubs 'bigness,?

Average crowd? Achievements? Current league position? Potential?

Which ever make us the biggest. :biggrin:

Personally, I judge it on crowds with all things being equal. i.e. what crowd would other clubs get if they had 12 years of complete rubbish like us?

What crowds would teams get if they were in the top few in the Premier League?

Now, much of this is completely hypothetical as we will probably never know what crowds Man Utd would get in League One or even what crowds we would get when top of The Premier League. However, you can draw comparisions from previous era's. For instance when we were 3rd in 91/92 we avergaed just under 30,000. This doesn't sound too impressive but when you take into account it was during a period when crowds were pretty low and that we got the 4th highest average in the country that yoear then it is more impressive.

My personal opinion (because I am very bored) of what the Premier League would be based purely on the size of the club is (and to ignite debate, in order):-

Man Utd

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Newcastle

Leeds

Villa

Everton

Man CIty

THE WEDNESDAY

Sunderland

Chelsea

West Ham

Notts Forest

Derby County

Norwich City

Sheffield United

Wolves

Ipswich Town

West Brom

The most controversial thing above is arguably my low ranking of Chelsea. However, I remember them regularly getting 11-12,000 whilst playing in the top division. I honestly believe that all of the clubs in that list would get crowds AT LEAST as high as those Chelsea get if as much money had been pumped in resulting in a decade of Champiuons League football and numerous trophies.

I think it is almost impossible to split from Leeds down to West Ham. The 7 below that are also difficult to split. However, i would challenge anybody who believes that Wednesday aren't COMFORTABLY in the biggest 20 clubs in England.

Serious question, what defines a clubs 'bigness,?

Average crowd? Achievements? Current league position? Potential?

Not really completely definable - it's a personal thing I'd imagine.

History, Fanbase both now and potential wise. Also while we are talking of potential - where could the side realistically achieve a standing?

How do other's see the club? What ambition does it have and are these ambitions realistic? For instance, if someone told you that Utd's ambition was to get European qualification within a decade, and Wednesday had the same aim - would you think both were possible? What about Charlton, who out of Wednesday, Utd and Charlton would you say were best placed to achieve this? Or anyone in our current division for that matter.

Guest JonTheOwl66

This baffles me. How we remain so arrogant I have no idea. We are NOT bigger than Charlton. They finished above us last season, they have a similar fan base, they have a similar stadium.

Arguably they have had a better past, better future and better present. Stop being so flipping arrogant and face the facts. We aren't as big as you lot all think we are.

Edited by JonTheOwl66