player signings, another take on it

Another thought as to why we seem to be sitting back,

are we seeing how potential contenders i.e Charlton fair with signings before we make ours,

that way we see how strong the squads are we are up against,

what if we had signed 6 players already and then realise that other teams have signed far better quality, we are knackered

this way we can make sure we sign players as good as or even better than teams around us

we have the cash to bring in some top players, but i'm sure Milan would rather splash the cash in the championship and just spend what he needs to now

just a thought

Edited by waddleisgod

...it's always best to keep your powder dry. And the last thing anyone should be doing at the club is considering or even worrying about other clubs. We are in a position now where we should be confident enough that we can get who we want. It's time for SWFC to be confident and a little arrogant about how we operate.......stuff the rest....let them worry about US!

I think that is even more dangerous. The idea is you build your squad based on how you play or how you want to play. You opponents should not come anywhere near the equation.

Yep - if we wanted the mentality of concentrating on our opponents rather than ourselves, we would've kept Alan Irvine !

I think behind the scenes they are struggling to bring in the targets they had identified some time ago. Milan said he is an impatient man, which kind of goes against the abject lack of meaningful activity so far seen. I can see us rushing into another jeffers type signing if things don't pick up in the next week or so - reactionary to get the fans buying season tickets again, rather someone who is going to add to the squad. News in the Star, if true about Baath is another blow. If Megson was looking to him to be one of his first choice CH's then we again may be faced with a reacitionary type buy, once it is clarified that he is staying with Wolves.

The thing is a lot of clubs havn't done much business yet. Charlton are probably finished now and yes they seem on paper to have bought well (still have lost Racon & probably Semado) The players who have been picked up already are pretty much the ones who were obvious choices by the start of the summer that they were looking for moves.

I imagine now the clubs with a bit of financial power could bully a few of the teams who need to off load i.e PNE, Pigs into doing deals for there better players on the buying clubs terms.

Manderic & Aldridge must have a plan on how they are going to improve this squad to seriously contend in the promotion race. If they dont have a stratergy I imagine they would have got into bidding wars and paid over the odds for players who have already signed for clubs.

We have added technically 5 players to the squad and we have only just hit July. Fingers crossed we get players in now who will inprove the squad as a whole & maybe get another couple of players out.

are we seeing how potential contenders i.e Charlton fair with signings before we make ours,

what if we had signed 6 players already and then realise that other teams have signed far better quality, we are knackered

this way we can make sure we sign players as good as or even better than teams around us

we have the cash to bring in some top players, but i'm sure

Milan would rather splash the cash in the championship and just spend what he needs to now

just a thought

That would be a very dangerous strategy

I can't see us sitting back and waiting to see who everyone else is signing, we'd just end up watching the players we want sign for other teams and then end up with wots left

we have the cash to bring in some top players, but i'm sure Milan would rather splash the cash in the championship and just spend what he needs to now

just a thought

We haven't been sitting back though. We've been trying to sign Semedo & Green.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I think if we are signing from higher league teams they hav eto make their signings first ove rthe next couple of days before they will rlease their players to us...

like I said elsewhere hoovering crap up from lower leaugues is not a startegy we should follow IMO....

How do we know people haven't already signed and our delaying it abit longer because there not back of holidays, or are really close to signing.

And I fully agree with the point you can't wait around in this buisness with singings.

TRUST MILAN, MEGSON AND ALDRIDGE!

Guest BoomTownOwls

I think the OP is right. Wednesday's shortlist currently reads:-

"Dear Gary

This is the plan.

If Charlton and Huddersfield sign amazing players:- Koumas, Vieira, Benjani, Harewood, Reo-Coker.

If Charlton and Huddersfield sign players that we rate as better than average but not amazing:- Dyer, Scotland, Oakley, Mellor, Baath.

If Charlton and Huddersfield's signings are pants we are laughing with our 15th in the League squad, only peasants needed:- S Quinn, Montgomery, Williamson, Slew.

I know this seems a bit crazy because following this policy all the players that you actually identified as wanting will have gone but trust me, I know what I am doing. I have been in football a long time and I am able to analyse squads and instantly see the exact polayers we need to be better than them. If we know Charlton will get 88 points, what is the point in us putting together a squad to get 90 points when 89 will do?

Have faith.

Loves and cuddles

Milan x x x x x

P.S. I am the walrus goo goo g'joob"