Bramall Lane Easter 1980

Guest Area 39

I remember that happening but it was against Nottingham Forest. Forest filled the centre of the kop but were eventually 'pushed' to one side by the late arriving Wednesday mob. At one point, the whole centre section was completely empty with police all around it. Maybe that happened against the blades too but I wasn't there to see it.

The Sunderland mob were chased off. I was in in the lep triangle and remember it vividly.

Lep triangle...I remember standing there for a few seasons!

Why don't we use it now? :mad:

Does anyone have the full version of the Match of the Day highlights from this game?

The video posted is only the highlights of the game - the full version includes a build up and a flag shown on St. Mary's church (what did it say?) and after match interviews with TC and Tony Kenworthy.

I did have it, but mistakingly wiped it from my DVD collection :(

Please?

Think it said Park & Arbourthorne Owls

You use to know if wednesday were on the opposing end when the 'wednesday wave' started

Sharing the kop to us meant having half the main territory (ie middle) If you didnt have half the middle you didnt share the kop They may have been on and causing bother

I can remember Man Utd 67/68/69 being next to to the middle

Leeds twice in 69,some of the nastiest trouble ever seen at Hillsborough

Birmingham in 72 had a good go

Everton 69/70 stood next to the middle

Man city 69 another nasty day.

But The piggy blunts NEVER came near us

At last someone thats accurate with a good memory. The name of the game was to take the opposing end/kop being the middle ground. Not once did the grunters ever even come close to that. Once or twice they went to the hump and tried to wield off the onslaught but that was about it. On the Shoreham it was different, we took that on at least 2 occasions (being the middle ground). The clubs that took our kop were Man Utd (sheer volume, Leeds (could have been 50/50 though) and thats about it although other clubs had a go as Capone has stated and failed.

Edited by Soul Power

I remember that happening but it was against Nottingham Forest. Forest filled the centre of the kop but were eventually 'pushed' to one side by the late arriving Wednesday mob. At one point, the whole centre section was completely empty with police all around it. Maybe that happened against the blades too but I wasn't there to see it.

The Sunderland mob were chased off. I was in in the lep triangle and remember it vividly.

Sorry mate but your memory is playing tricks! Sunderland stayed on the Kop that day, it was Middlesborough who ended up being run off at half time. Incidentally in those days I was also in the triangle.

Apart from the aforementioned Man Utd game the only other time i can recall Hillsborough getting "invaded" was by Villa in the mid seventies.

My memory is a little hazy but as far as i can recall it was a night match and our last home game of the season , and Villa needed to win to secure promotion............................Brian Little tore us to bits and they mullared us 4 - 0 , and their fans seemed to be everywhere , in fact in all my years ive never seen an away support totally dominate things like they did that night.

Villa had got there really early, so the Police stopped most Wednesday fans going on the Kop that night to avoid trouble. Most Wednesday fans ended up on the lane end and were none to happy about it. I was on the Kop (15 at the time) keeping very quiet, but 10 minutes before the end the Lane end emptied and when the Villa fans left the Kop Wednesday were waiting outside and well and truly battered them. For years afterwards a favourite Wednesday chant to opposition fans was "You're gonna get what Aston Villa got". I nearly got battered by Villa fans on the Kop a couple of years later at the League Cup final replay against Everton purely because of what happened to them that night.

Also Birmingham City came on the Kop in force in 1972 for a similar promotion match and the trouble that day was massive and went on all through the match.

GOing back to the game against the Blunts, I was on the SHoreham that day in the bottom corner which was all Wednesday. I seem to recall that 3,000 tickets for that area had been made available to Wednesday and all sold out. I had travelled up from Jersey (where I was working at the time) took my Mum (she went to the BDM as well)! Costly, but worth every penny for the TC wondergoal.

Guest jdowl1

At last someone thats accurate with a good memory. The name of the game was to take the opposing end/kop being the middle ground. Not once did the grunters ever even come close to that. Once or twice they went to the hump and tried to wield off the onslaught but that was about it. On the Shoreham it was different, we took that on at least 2 occasions (being the middle ground). The clubs that took our kop were Man Utd (sheer volume, Leeds (could have been 50/50 though) and thats about it although other clubs had a go as Capone has stated and failed.

Getting on the kop early.like man u and villa,is not the same as taking a kop.I was on the Kop both games,in the mob against man u in the corner and in the mob againat villa who were initially behind the net then moved up to the scoreboard to make an attempt to regain some ground.Only sheer numbers,as you say,were in there favour.

Nobody has ever taken the East Bank from the Wednesday.

I was on the kop that day,there was thousands of owls on it, at least a third , as i remember there was instructions the night before in the Star telling owls fans to stand to the left hand side of the goal.

I clearly remember thousands in the main stand when Curran scored, hand on heart i would say we out numbered them in there own ground that day

This posts is about right, we had at least a third if not more and don't let anyone else tell you different.

Also, about 1,000 went on the following season when we played them in the league cup with a much lower attendance and again we out numbered them in there poo poo hole of a ground.

Seem to remember Wrexham spending the entire game on the kop during their win 3-0 win sometime in the 80s, thy started in the middle but were sheperded to what is now the area tango used to frequent by old bill.

Only remember this as it was my ex spouses first ever game, and she spent 10 minutes at full time arguing with a copper on horse back at the back of the kop after he gave a Wednesdayite, who was amongst a group trying to wish them a afe journey home a little tap of his head with his truncheon.

I also have somewhere a picture from the star with the headline "Boro fans sound retreat" which shows Middlesborough supporters racing over the pitch towards the safety of their own fans on the Leppings at half time, after once against We decided to ask for our Favourite crush barriers back..

I remember that Wrexham game! I was only 8 or 9 at the time and used to sit in the West Stand. I can remember them scoring and some of their fans in that corner celebrating, and thinking "why have they put the away fans at that end this week?"!

Of course it's not true that Wednesday fans were in big numbers in the sty that day. The blades say that there were only a few there who got swiftly "dealt with", but in 1992 they had three quarters of the North Stand at Hillsborough (despite 80% of it being occupied by season ticket holders).

And they're always right aren't they?

Sorry mate but your memory is playing tricks! Sunderland stayed on the Kop that day, it was Middlesborough who ended up being run off at half time. Incidentally in those days I was also in the triangle.

I started attending regularly with my friends in 1973 when I was 10 years old. My dad always told me to stand in the corner of the leps. He told me there was too much trouble on the kop. After my 1st game on the leps, I was smitten with the atmosphere of the fans in the kop centre. I pleaded with him to let me go on the kop but he refused saying "he'd know" if I'd been on. Like a fool, I believed him.

I did start going on in the 1975/76 season. I convinced him there wouldn't be any trouble in the 3rd division. However, I saw trouble very close up against Grimsby and in particular, Millwall. As a 12 year old, I found it quite scary to be honest.

My funniest memory of away fans on the Kop was for the league cup game in 2000 or 2001 (the one when Ekoku scored twice).

A lone pig ran from the Kop out onto the edge of the pitch and was giving it the big "come on then" to the Wednesday fans. The look of sheer bewilderment on his face was a picture when somebody took up his invite, sprinted all the way down the steps from the back, and clocked him one

Guest We are Leeds

My funniest memory of away fans on the Kop was for the league cup game in 2000 or 2001 (the one when Ekoku scored twice).

A lone pig ran from the Kop out onto the edge of the pitch and was giving it the big "come on then" to the Wednesday fans. The look of sheer bewilderment on his face was a picture when somebody took up his invite, sprinted all the way down the steps from the back, and clocked him one

:laugh:

epic-face-palm-face-palm-demotivational-poster-1236742013.jpg

A lone pig ran from the Kop out onto the edge of the pitch and was giving it the big "come on then" to the Wednesday fans. The look of sheer bewilderment on his face was a

picture when somebody took up his invite, sprinted all the

way down the steps from the back, and clocked him one

I remember that game, I used hang around the Wednesday fans younger brother, he was called chick ( obviously his nickname :) if I remember rightly it was shown on the highlights show or the news one of them

Edited by Blueblood

Guest bigjimswfc

my dad tells about this match and how the only to see it was to goin the shoreham end cos it was the only tickets left. he remembers the atmospheare being electric but hostlie 2. he was stood near allthe piggy skin heads and wee pipe'eds and when curran scored he didnt dare cheer or even smile.but in the end the piggys where fighting amoung them selfs prove there always been a bunch of brainless wee pipe'eds.

I went on the Shoreham twice. A county cup match and the Alan Woodward Testimonial. I was only a kid - about 13 I think - so wasn't looking for bother- it's just that's what every other Wednesday fan seemed to be doing. I don't remember ever feeling worried and remember it being mostly Wednesday fans on there.

was on john street that day near halfway line . Seem to remember some scuffles on the kop but mostly remember how many wednesdayites seemed to be in the ground when curran scored . Also there where a faire numbar of pigs on the kop boxing day some were stood with us but they where very quiete for some reason

As a kid in the late 60's early seventies sat in the south stand with my dad it was part of the what our marketing team would now call 'match day experience :biggrin: ' to watch away fans be ' welcomed' on the kop

I can't comment about mufc or villa because I was not there But one I remember was a game against burnley where quite a lot of burnley fans were cornered on the south stand side of the kop. This ended up with loads of them being forced to run across the pitch to leppings lane end shouting abuse at us on the way which I found highly amusing.

There were some burnley fans near us in the south stand who jumped up when Leighton James scored a cracking goal who were 'advised' by my uncle Fred that they were spoiling our ' match day experience' and being the fact that he was a persuasive chap ( a steel worker with hands like buckets ) the burnley fans decided to stay quiet and let us enjoy our prawn sandwiches :biggrin:

Sadly we lost this game 1-0 as I remember it was a game between the top two in div2 at the time and was featured on match of the day. But icant find it on you tube can anybody help with this as I don't use you tube much.

A further memory of the game was that Peter grummet was injured in the 1st half and one of Wednesday's team acted as goalkeeper until half time and then Peter was cheered onto the pitch for the start of the 2nd half