Players Face Summer Of Sweat Vows Megson

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/owls_sheffield_wednesday_players_face_summer_of_sweat_vows_megson_1_3450488

gary megson will stick to a tried and trusted formula when he whips his Sheffield Wednesday side into shape for next season.

He will rely on old-fashioned hard graft spread over a period of five and a half weeks.

Players can expect a gruelling time after they report back for pre-season training on June 29.

Megson is not a big fan of hi-tech training aids and thinks that simple, physical effort provides the necessary bedrock of fitness.

“You do vary the work with different ideas as things move on but I’m not one for computers or heart-rate monitors and just football-specific training; it’s hard work that matters,” he said.

“It seems to work for (amateur) boxers. They only fight for three rounds but they go running for two and a half hours every morning.

“We’ve got to have the right base of fitness, so that when players are playing, if they don’t put in the required amount of effort it’s not because they can’t, it’s because they won’t - and that won’t happen more than once.”

Megson will not stand for anything less than 100 per cent effort - a point he has made several times since becoming manager.

He has already vowed that no team will be fitter than the Owls next season.

Megson has also pointed to the benefits that players can enjoy from ultra fitness. He and some of the others who played for Wednesday when Howard Wilkinson’s tough regime was in force went on to play until their mid-30s at least.

Runs in the Ewden Valley area, near Stocksbridge, were a feature of those sessions in the 80s.

A variation that Megson is about to employ is the occasional use of the weight-training facilities and sprint track at the English Institute of Sport in Attercliffe.

A pre-season training period of five and a half weeks has been favoured by Megson at his previous clubs.

Rob Jones and David Prutton will be undergoing their first pre-season with him and the club, and it likely that other new signings will be present by the time work gets under way.The schedule includes a week in Austria.

Good - a proper work ethic is the basis for most successful teams - as seen by the best team on the planet also being the hardest working.

I am fully in agreement with GM about the ludicrous amounts of sport science in the game these days - as if people can't get fit without a team of scientists backed by NASA technology.

No substitute for hard work

Good - a proper work ethic is the basis for most successful teams - as seen by the best team on the planet also being the hardest working.

I am fully in agreement with GM about the ludicrous amounts of sport science in the game these days - as if people can't get fit without a team of scientists backed by NASA technology.

Correct, but i do think sport science does have its place in certain areas.

My personal opinion as doing this type of work builds a team. Certainly when i have played the clubs who do the hardest fitness and training have the best bonds. Its almost as you've all been through it together, so your willing to fight harder on a match day for each other! Its why people like Warnock has done so well, as he gets that!

Guest JonTheOwl66

Reckon we could have nearly all nine signings before we start pre season.

Danny Green will be one of them. :excl:

Science does have a place agreed - but it's been way, way over emphasised and some of the stuff has no evidence whatsoever (and in the physio/medical area)

The problem i have with it is that so much of the game is decided on the technical apsects of football and not the physical - why the **** a league 1 or 2 club needs football data analysts when theior players often struggle to control the ball adequately is beyond me

Science does have a place agreed - but it's been way, way over emphasised and some of the stuff has no evidence whatsoever (and in the physio/medical area)

The problem i have with it is that so much of the game is decided on the technical apsects of football and not the physical - why the **** a league 1 or 2 club needs football data analysts when theior players often struggle to control the ball adequately is beyond me

Ha ha i totally agree, its so f'ing stupid when you put in those terms.

I think the science has helped in diet, and the like, but as you say it has been way over emphasised!

If leeds and norwich are interested,no chance

They were interested a bit back. I do think Norwich will be looking for a bit better then Green, they had a bid for Snodgrass turned down for example. Perhaps if Leeds are interested that worries me a bit. I really think this guy is good. I hope we sign him.

Out of interest, I wonder how many other local rags run that bloody "Fittest team in the league" story every year?

How many times have we heard it now? And when was the last time it was true? 1985?

Edited by NYCOWL

Guest Saturday Owl

Great news, sports science plays it's part but we need to build a team bond.

Look at Stevenage, how do you think they got promoted out of League Two? Not for being the best team thats for sure.

They were the fittest and hardest working.

This build a good team ethic and when you start stringing results together your hard to stop.

I expect the same for us next season, we'll work hard and get a top 6 finish if not a top 2.

Roll on next season!

Edited by Saturday Owl

Guest thekelch

Q: Has there ever been a manager at Wednesday who hasn't complained that his players weren't fit enough and promised them "the hardest preseason of their lives"?

A: No.

I'm sure Mego will get them fit but Irvine set all the same last season, Laws and Sturrock before them. Its up to the players to work hard whoever the manager is. One of the reassuring things about following a lot of the players on Twitter is seeing how often they go to the gym, hope this continues.

Ha ha i totally agree, its so f'ing stupid when you put in those terms.

I think the science has helped in diet, and the like, but as you say it has been way over emphasised!

greatest athlete the world as ever seen the great ..alf tupper ..lived on fish and chips so that blows that theory out the water ........

WE'D WHIP EM' INTO SHAPE EH GAFFER!?

THEN SUITS ON AND OFF TO THE DISCOTHEQUE 80'S STYLE