1966 Cup Final Team Photo

Guest York Owl

A bit puzzled by this pic. It's obviously just pre the cup final as Pugh and Ellis weren't in the reckoning before then. But the background looks like the North Stand with the last section of the old stand just to the left. I know that section stayed there for some while before it was demolished but I'm sure it was gone well before 1966?

A bit puzzled by this pic. It's obviously just pre the cup final as Pugh and Ellis weren't in the reckoning before then. But the background looks like the North Stand with the last section of the old stand just to the left. I know that section stayed there for some while before it was demolished but I'm sure it was gone well before 1966?

It had certainly been demolished by the time the world cup started, but what we know as the full NW corner hadn't been built by then.

Have a look at this video of West Germany against Switzerland in July 1966 you can see the stand has gone (click on the thumbnails & you can bypass the advert)

Reading further I think the NW corner was extended & opened around February 1967

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=70981

It had certainly been demolished by the time the world cup started, but what we know as the full NW corner hadn't been built by then.

Have a look at this video of West Germany against Switzerland in July 1966 you can see the stand has gone (click on the thumbnails & you can bypass the advert)

Reading further I think the NW corner was extended & opened around February 1967

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=70981

The film, which confirms what I thought, only adds to my puzzlement!

I thought that the last bit of the old North Stand went well before 1966 but as the old Leppings Lane shed went as part of the World Cup redevelopment it seems reasonable to assume that both were demolished at the same time. What puzzles me is that the picture, which I am assuming was taken after the Chelsea semi final on 23 April shows the last bit of the old stand but the film, taken on 12 July, doesn't. Surely they didn't leave it that late in the day to do the work?

A solution may, of course, be that the picture was taken earlier but it is noticeable that the front row is lined up in player number order - 7 to 11 - which was the norm with team pictures then. Graham Pugh didn't make his debut until 9 April (in the number 7 shirt) and Johnny Quinn didn't become the regular number 11 until that same game. Thus, I would say it is pretty certain that the picture was taken after the Chelsea game.

You are correct, of course, in that the NW corner wasn't fully redeveloped until later.

I would just be interested to know when work on the Leppings Lane end started. I have still in my minds eye (and I've got a wonderful memory for old Wednesday games!) a picture of John Hickton scoring a glorious header at that end en route to his hat trick against Arsenal at Christmas 1965 and the old shed being extant. All totally irrelevant, of course, but gives a wonderful opportunity to reminisce!

The film, which confirms what I thought, only adds to my puzzlement!

I thought that the last bit of the old North Stand went well before 1966 but as the old Leppings Lane shed went as part of the World Cup redevelopment it seems reasonable to assume that both were demolished at the same time. What puzzles me is that the picture, which I am assuming was taken after the Chelsea semi final on 23 April shows the last bit of the old stand but the film, taken on 12 July, doesn't. Surely they didn't leave it that late in the day to do the work?

A solution may, of course, be that the picture was taken earlier but it is noticeable that the front row is lined up in player number order - 7 to 11 - which was the norm with team pictures then. Graham Pugh didn't make his debut until 9 April (in the number 7 shirt) and Johnny Quinn didn't become the regular number 11 until that same game. Thus, I would say it is pretty certain that the picture was taken after the Chelsea game.

You are correct, of course, in that the NW corner wasn't fully redeveloped until later.

I would just be interested to know when work on the Leppings Lane end started. I have still in my minds eye (and I've got a wonderful memory for old Wednesday games!) a picture of John Hickton scoring a glorious header at that end en route to his hat trick against Arsenal at Christmas 1965 and the old shed being extant. All totally irrelevant, of course, but gives a wonderful opportunity to reminisce!

I've had a look in Jason Dickinson,s excellent book "One Hundred Years at Hillsborough" and have found a photograph of the new west stand virtually complete, but in the far corner of it I can still see the old corner stand.

I wonder (can't recall too well as I was only 9 at the time) if the main stand was built during the 1965-66 season (as your recollection) and that the old corner stand was only demolished after the end of the season.

The last home game was on 9th May 1966 giving them around 9 weeks to demolish the stand and create the small terrace we can see in the film. This would tie in with the apparent date of the photograph being after the semi against Chelsea

As an aside, I know they changed the south stand terracing for seats at the beginning of the 1965-66 season, as they were opened for the first time against Liverpool on the 6th November 1965