Liam Sercombe

Everyone's saying "he's not your 15 goal a season midfielder" .... but how many central midfielders scored 15 or more in this league last season?

I'm guessing you could count them on one hand

I think a lot of people are assuming that we'll be playing 4-4-2, with 2 flying wingers and an attacking midfielder. Aside from that being tactical suicide, like you say, there aren't many of those midfielders around.

I don't get this label of 'ball winning midfielders' shouldn't all central midfielders be able to win the ball? A major part of winning the ball back is anticipation intercepting rather than diving and sliding all over the pitch.

Having a high work rate and putting pressure on the opposition works at this level.

The idea of a four man midfield with a ball winner, creative/goal scorer centrally and two wingers is severly outdated.

Man utd will probably line up with Carrick and Giggs in the centre of the park on Saturday, where's the 'ball winner' there? (No comparison intended).

I think Megson favours a central midfield three plus two wide attackers To make that system work you need the wide players to have pace, Sedgwick and Teale don't cut it in this system In a way you don't need a ball winner as such, though most successful sides do have someone who will sit in front of the back four and break things up. JOC is tireless in his pursuit of the opposition, constantly harrying them, but rarely actually winning the ball. Do we really need to bring in two further players who can do that?

Guest pac-man

What is the problem. 2 good passing midfielders we now need strikers and wingers who can score and just having CM's that can play these attacking players in!

I think tbh I'd rather have two ball winning, box to box centre mids, paired with a couple of pacey wingers at this level. So for me him and Leitrim would fit the bill nicely with joc and palmer as back-up.

Question is now do we go for a proper left winger.

I've been informed that we've apparently put a £350,000 bid in for Exeter City player Liam Sercombe which is being heavily considered by the club

They're going to inform the player today about the offer and give him time to see what he wants to do. As much as they want to keep him, they accept they will struggle to keep hold of their players when clubs like both Sheffield teams, Charlton and Preston come sniffing round (as well as championship clubs). They won't stand in his way if he wants to talk to us

I'd heard from various people how good Sercombe and Harley were, and paid particular attention to them at Hillsborough. To be honest, on that particular occasion I thought that they were both pretty poor.

Having said that, you don't get a good reputation without earning it, and I think it wouldn't be a massive gamble if we forked out a maximum of 400k on either of them.

We cant keep bringing players for the sake of it, they really have to address areas where we are short At 20 years old and barely one season for Exeter City under his belt, is he really going to be the playmaker that spearheads our promotion push?

Anybody remember a teenage Michael Owen murdering us at Hillsborough? If you're good enough, you're old enough.

He's 21, not 20, and has been used heavily for three seasons by a team that beat us twice this year and finished just outside the play-offs.

WTF kind of player do you want us to be signing? Some washed up 30+ year old you remember being good five years ago?

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Anybody remember a teenage Michael Owen murdering us at Hillsborough? If you're good enough, you're old enough.

That hatrick - you had to applaud when the third went in.

Sercombe is hungry, composed and is a positive player who makes space for himself and others - always available and looking for the ball.

Other than the hat trick from Kanchelskis, the best performance I've ever seen at Hillsborough from an opposition player.

I make no secret of the fact that I think Paul Tisdale is one of the best managers in our division, and I'm very impressed with the way that he's developed young players at Exeter.

I think it would probably be in Sercombe's interests to say at Exeter for another season, but he is definitely the sort of player we should be looking for. Sercombe is decent player in his own right who would probably fit into Megson's tactical style quite well. Would be a decent signing for £350,000.

Guest ECFC-SIEGEARMY

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-ne...ercombe-174161

I am an Exeter fan and i can just say that Liam Sercombe is a brilliant player and if he had a full season without injury he would score a hell of alot of goals in your team. This season he had some injuries and couldn't keep his form because of it, towards the end of the season when he kept injury free he was on truly incredible form and looked like a high end championship player. Personally i would think we could get more than 350,000 for him especially as Huddersfield and Burnley are now both interested to.

I think Sercombe would be a good signing for you, it's just whether Tisdale is going to agree an offer. Sercombe sounded very happy at Exeter and is looking foward to league 2 football with us so i'm not sure about it on his end of the situation.

This is an interview with Sercombe not long ago: http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Sercombe-keen-responsibility/story-16300424-detail/story.html

Guest wilyfox

I've been informed that we've apparently put a �350,000 bid in for Exeter City player Liam Sercombe which is being heavily considered by the club

They're going to inform the player today about the offer and give him time to see what he wants to do. As much as they want to keep him, they accept they will struggle to keep hold of their players when clubs like both Sheffield teams, Charlton and Preston come sniffing round (as well as championship clubs). They won't stand in his way if he wants to talk to us

sounds like us; that's our magic number...