Misery for Megson as he frees skipper

Guest Sheff Owl

And as for not having too many players of the same type stacking up......didn't stop him bringing in a couple of centre backs in when we already had six at the club

Would you rather he left things as they were for us to continue shipping goals left, right and centre?

Guest Darkus Owlus

Would you rather he left things as they were for us to continue shipping goals left, right and centre?

We've just renewed a midfielders contract who was the soul cause of a gapping hole in midfielder leading us to plenty of conceeds.

It's guarentee this will happen again, not enough is going to be changed imo, playoffs at best for us.

Hinds was basically released 6 weeks ago then ... which ties in with what i was told be an SWFC steward.

Aparantly Hinds and Isiah Osbourne had a fight in the tunnel at Carlisle and had to be pulled apart. Osbourne was sent packing staraight away, Hinds was told he'd never play again.

Good job Ron Atkinson didn't have that kind of attitude when he had scuffles with John Sheridan and Paolo di Canio.

Guest Bald Owl

I like Megson but other than JJ our midfield is poo . I never rated Miller but **** me if keeping O'Connor is a sign of things to come It's pretty flipping grim because he's dire. I expected better, not gonna be getting out of this division with players like him!

Guest Big Guns

well im certainly not miserable about realising the skipper or hinds infact im very very very flippinghappy about it ,but im very very very miserable about joc been offered a deal

Guest contango

gary megson has revealed that telling captain Tommy Miller of his release has been his most unpleasant task as Owls manager.

The midfield player is rated by the Wednesday boss as a terrific character.

But Miller and Richard Hinds are being freed, as the club look to bring in new blood this summer.

New deals are to be offered to the other three out-of-contract players, Jermaine Johnson, Lewis Buxton and James O’Connor.

Megson cannot just offload players who are under contract. He explained: “I’m wanting to bring people in, and we can’t have too big a squad of players.

“They’re difficult decisions, certainly in Tommy’s case, but I’ve got players who are under contract that we can’t do anything with unless they choose to move and get the opportunity.

“I do need to change things. Unfortunately, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

“Tommy is a terrific lad. I’ve told him I’ll give him any help or reference that I can - the same with Richard.” Megson also revealed that Hinds was told of his fate six weeks ago.

Megson also said that the new contract offers will reflect the club’s status: “None of them will be able to retire on the offers that are going to be made, because we’re a League One club. We have to cut our cloth accordingly.

“The players will be made offers but with a rider that we are looking for other players. If we bring them in in their position while they are thinking about it we’ll obviously have to withdraw that offer.

“We can’t have too many of the same type stacking up at the club.

“I have to do my job. At times it’s not enjoyable. Talking to Tommy Miller certainly wasn’t enjoyable - it was the worst thing I’ve had to do since I’ve been here. But I have to do my job on what I believe is best for Wednesday.”

So i find the comment's in bold very interesting does this mean that Megson is choosing not to cancel a contract or two which MM said he could do if he wanted or i wonder if he has tried but the player/s concerned have said no?

But also by the sounds of it we need to get rid of a few before someone comes in...

I can just see it now some of these players are gonna just sit and be happy to collect their wages unless someone comes in for them or Megson can sort out termination of contract/s.

Guest contango

If we are having to pay the players who are in contract even if Megson doesnt use them in his first team plans it is better to keep them on board as far as possible rather than pay them up and let another club take them on and the player simply signing a new contract with the new club and keeping our money too, at least this way the club taking on players out of favour will be picking up the cost of the player at least partially, simple economics really isnt it, no point saying to Potter et al here is your wages for the remainder of your contract now f off, we may as well try to extract some value however small as long as it does not effect team morale for next year.

Sure we would all like to see them humiliated and payed off but it doesnt make any sense, there will be takers for some of the players so better to wait it out with them, at the end of the day who wants to see some of the players we have get a pay day before signing a new contract with a new club. This club is now better run!!

i would HOPE megson will be employing a different style and tactic next season, and to do that he needs to bring in a different type of player in that position. Im unconvinced Coke or Potter figure in these plans yet, im hoping Palmer gets some game time next season though, and JOC will be a reasonable, cheap squad player to help in the transition of the team.

Miller did well next to JOC toward the end of the season, but if you are going to be paying top money in this division, you have to have a player capable of running games, and sadly thats not Miller.

Im also assuming that Megsons pretty confident that he has a player, or two, lined up that will be better than Miller. Otherwise he wouldnt be letting him go.

Have I missed something but have any of the offer actually been signed?

the way I read the above, is that all 3 will be getting new offers but they are league 1 deals.

It could well be that JOC, JJ and Buxton all clear off and look for better deals elsewhere.

I think it is shrewd business.

Megson knows he can use all 3 he has renewals in for but by the sounds of it, he is not going to pay them more than they are worth (which may well have been the case before).

The statement on the OS also says they will be passed on to the agents., so i really think there is a good chance the deals will be worse than before. Dowbn to the player to see if they want to fight for the cause probably with the reward of Championship rise if they go up.

And as for not having too many players of the same type stacking up......didn't stop him bringing in a couple of centre backs in when we already had six at the club

Good job he did when he had the chance, we could be facing a season in Lg2 if not!

Interesting article that can be looked at in many ways. Overall Megson needs to know quickly what squad he has before he can build it up and fill in the gaps. It seems to me that the uncertainties are the out of contract players. He needs to know quickly who's on board. We don't want a case of waiting and waiting while players use the offer to get a better deal elsewhere knowing they have this one to fall back on. Basically he's saying that if they try this, they might find that he's signed someone else instead. For me he has to work on the notion that everyone who is in contract will be here. He can then fill in the holes and as contracted players are moved out, he can then replace them like for like.

Good move I think.

Guest GlennWhelan

New deals are to be offered to the other three out-of-contract players, Jermaine Johnson, Lewis Buxton and James O’Connor.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd guess its a bit different when they are the lynchpin of your team.

Atkinson was prepared to let Sheridan go. He put it to the rest of the squad and took their advice. As it happens, they wanted him to stay and Ron was man enough to go along with them rather than put his own ego first like many would have.

Guest Sniper1

Good job Ron Atkinson didn't have that kind of attitude when he had scuffles with John Sheridan and Paolo di Canio.

When did Big Ron have a scuffle with Di Canio?

If anything, this is a perfect message to the rest of the squad that if you work your balls off you get your rewards.

I think pretty much all fans are in agreement that JOC was probably the one player who never gave less than 100% all season and its common knowledge he's a terrific trainer. On top of that he's very experienced and a good role model for professionism - something I assume Megson rates very highly indeed.

Acknowledged - his actual quality, or rather, physical attributes, aren't the best in the position he plays (particularly in League 1), but he's definately worth a place in the squad. Hardly the worst news in the world especially given that no-one here knows the terms or length yet.

I'll stick my neck out and say that offering a new contract is a good decision - I refuse to critisise the reward of a new contract for a player who at least showed guts amongst a squad of players around him who simply couldn't be bothered for the majority of the season.