Misery for Megson as he frees skipper

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

gary megson has revealed that telling captain Tommy Miller of his release has been his most unpleasant task as Owls manager.

The midfield player is rated by the Wednesday boss as a terrific character.

But Miller and Richard Hinds are being freed, as the club look to bring in new blood this summer.

New deals are to be offered to the other three out-of-contract players, Jermaine Johnson, Lewis Buxton and James O’Connor.

Megson cannot just offload players who are under contract. He explained: “I’m wanting to bring people in, and we can’t have too big a squad of players.

“They’re difficult decisions, certainly in Tommy’s case, but I’ve got players who are under contract that we can’t do anything with unless they choose to move and get the opportunity.

“I do need to change things. Unfortunately, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

“Tommy is a terrific lad. I’ve told him I’ll give him any help or reference that I can - the same with Richard.” Megson also revealed that Hinds was told of his fate six weeks ago.

Megson also said that the new contract offers will reflect the club’s status: “None of them will be able to retire on the offers that are going to be made, because we’re a League One club. We have to cut our cloth accordingly.

“The players will be made offers but with a rider that we are looking for other players. If we bring them in in their position while they are thinking about it we’ll obviously have to withdraw that offer.

“We can’t have too many of the same type stacking up at the club.

“I have to do my job. At times it’s not enjoyable. Talking to Tommy Miller certainly wasn’t enjoyable - it was the worst thing I’ve had to do since I’ve been here. But I have to do my job on what I believe is best for Wednesday.”

So i find the comment's in bold very interesting does this mean that Megson is choosing not to cancel a contract or two which MM said he could do if he wanted or i wonder if he has tried but the player/s concerned have said no?

But also by the sounds of it we need to get rid of a few before someone comes in...

I can just see it now some of these players are gonna just sit and be happy to collect their wages unless someone comes in for them or Megson can sort out termination of contract/s.

And as for not having too many players of the same type stacking up......didn't stop him bringing in a couple of centre backs in when we already had six at the club

..... that were either injured or poo poo (or both) ! lol

ps/ good,thinly veiled attack at mego .. unusual for you :ohmy:

If he wants to trim the squad and to bring more and better quality players in then the O'Connor contract offer is even more foolish.

Both JOC and Miller should have gone, enabling at least two new CM's in.

Then if Potter and/or Coke get offers elesehwere then we can strengthen further.

I honestly cannot see anyone wanting Potter, so he'll stay.

Coke maybe the one to go.

That leaves us with

O'Connor, Potter and Palmer, plus one more, if he wants his small squad and two players to each position.

I honestly see JOC as a main fixture in the team next season.

Disappointing.

Edited by BRADDAZ

Bit of a nothing article to be honest.

The idea that we were going to pay off a load of players seems a tad unlikely.

A lot of our recent signings will be on good money for league one, so I'm not convinced as to how many takers we are going to get.

Edited by SiJ

He's basically saying "we have players for sale" in the hope clubs give him a call about the unwanted ones. There may be cancelled contracts down the line (if possible), but it will eat into the budget to do that.

Edited by bigrbuk

There may be cancelled contracts down the line (if possible), but it will eat into the budget to do that.

Exactly.

Players like Michael Morrison, Reynolds etc will be on good money and have another two years at least to go on their current deals.

Our best hope, probably, is that we manage to get them out on loan, and have a club pay a significant part of their wages.

At every football club you get this situation, whereby you inherit players you may not want Shaping your squad is a gradual process and needs to be carried out quietly and efficiently If the manager really believes there will be no takers for some of the players he considers surplus to requirements, the simple thing he could have done was not offer contracts to those at the end of their deals That would have allowed him to bring in 5 players to address the areas where we were weak It's not rocket science

And as for not having too many players of the same type stacking up......didn't stop him bringing in a couple of centre backs in when we already had six at the club

Batth and Jones were two of the best signings we made throughout the whole season. Quantity is one thing, quality is another.

Your constant digs at Megson are boring - move on.

They did Ok nothing more, but you can't complain at having too many of a certain type of player, only to go out and sign two more And I haven't had a dig at Megson for a while, mainly due to the fact that he's cut out the crap and got on with his job As a consequence thinks lstarted to look a lot healthier

I think it is well worth bearing in mind that Megson has only signed 3 in the transfer window last season. Jones, Baath, and O'Brien.

2 of which were much needed and turned out to be a bit of a revelation.

I hope people remember this and don't start slating Megson as he us ultimately stuck with Irvines wasters at the minute.

Hinds was basically released 6 weeks ago then ... which ties in with what i was told be an SWFC steward.

Aparantly Hinds and Isiah Osbourne had a fight in the tunnel at Carlisle and had to be pulled apart. Osbourne was sent packing staraight away, Hinds was told he'd never play again.

He's saying he would rather have Miller than Potter but as Potter is in contract he has to let the better player go. That's how I read it anyway.

Thats how I read it as well.

Massive shame but well done to the manager who signed Potter for 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!