Another career comes to an end at S6

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

Not as big a name as Dion Dublin, but never the less Rob Edwards is a player i have seen on a few occasions and has always struck me as a very good player.

Hope his final game ends in defeat, but also hope the Old lady leaves him with memories that as Dublin says,will last till his final day.

http://www.exetercity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/edwards_to_hang_up_boots_674050/index.shtml

Not as big a name as Dion Dublin, but never the less Rob Edwards is a player i have seen on a few occasions and has always struck me as a very good player.

Hope his final game ends in defeat, but also hope the Old lady leaves him with memories that as Dublin says,will last till his final day.

http://www.exetercity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/edwards_to_hang_up_boots_674050/index.shtml

A chance to show our class again. Hope so !!

Good post.

I remember that day Dublin retired fondly. Good win for the Owls and Dublin got an unbelievable reception. The man deserved it and I am so glad everyone in the ground gave him the reception he deserved.

Fantastic gesture.

To all fans reading, please give Rob Edwards your show of support. He may not be an Owl, but he has given a lot of time to football.

Just want to echo my sentitments about Dublin.

I love it when football aligns the fans, players and memories and shows class like that.

Hammer, nail etc.

Class like this always makes the hairs stand on end. A bit like when the piggies came to ours and the minute silence was upheld by them. Never forget class like that. And also like Cov away and the whole ground sang 'Hi Ho' for the 2 lads that lost their lives coming back form Cov earlier that year.

Priceless.

There's been quite a bit of talk about Dublin's ovation on here recently.

Have to say it is one of my very favourite memories at Hillsborough.

As Arthur, rightly says, it is great when fans can act as one to show respect to great people in football.

Let's hope he gets pulled in 85 min to a good reception from all fans.

Then hopefully we bang in the winner in the 89th...!

:biggrin:

Hammer, nail etc.

Class like this always makes the hairs stand on end. A bit like when the piggies came to ours and the minute silence was upheld by them. Never forget class like that. And also like Cov away and the whole ground sang 'Hi Ho' for the 2 lads that lost their lives coming back form Cov earlier that year.

Priceless.

Talking about Coventry, I had the honour of being at Highfield Road for Steve Ogrizovic' last ever professional game and the whole stadium gave him an ovation.

Especially thrilling considering he began his career before I was born, a player who had played through two distinct eras of football.

Talking about Coventry, I had the honour of being at Highfield Road for Steve Ogrizovic' last ever professional game and the whole stadium gave him an ovation.

Especially thrilling considering he began his career before I was born, a player who had played through two distinct eras of football.

i saw his debut at hillsborough for chesterfield !

That Dublin reception is one of my favourite hillsborough memories. The reception when he went off was fantastic. The reception when he came back on again on his own to clap their fans, only to have the entire stadium stand for him took him by surprise I think. He was a great player who deserved his applause.

Us winning and staying up probably had a lit to do with it as well but all the same, a great show of class from Owls fans.

Whats strange is that a lot of players coming up to retirement are of a similar age to me and my brother, in football terms we would be considered 'veterans' :biggrin:

Just wait til the 'veterans' are younger than you. Talk about sobering...... :sad:

But I agree about the Dublin ovation. A truly wonderful memory and spontaneous football moment.

Guest intercity0wl

i saw his debut at hillsborough for chesterfield !

If im not mistaken he scored for Coventry at Hillsborough with a long clearance, Hodge came out out to collect it, and the bounce sent it sailing over his head, and into the net infront of a stunned Kop.

I only remember this as it was the first (and last ) game i took the ex missus to, when the match report came on the radio on the Mexborough supporters club coach back to Mexborough, she turned round to me and said, "thats sounds good, what game was that at", like i said first and last game for her.

Guest Saturday Owl

just one thing about the dublin reception, would it have been the same had we been losing at the time ? lol

Of Course it would, the man deserved it regardless of the score.

Guest Saturday Owl

I don't think so - we would have been relegated and running for the doors as fast as our legs would take us!

I don't think everyone would have done it had the result gone against us, but I would still have clapped him.

Anyway it doesn't matter about the score today so let's give the lad a good send off.

Guest intercity0wl

I don't think everyone would have done it had the result gone against us, but I would still have clapped him.

Anyway it doesn't matter about the score today so let's give the lad a good send off.

[/quote

Same entiments here on both counts.

If im not mistaken he scored for Coventry at Hillsborough with a long clearance, Hodge came out out to collect it, and the bounce sent it sailing over his head, and into the net infront of a stunned Kop.

Another unique memory from Hillsborough.