Squad for next season

Guest bigblue

Guest bigblue

I know, I know, there are already loads of threads like this, and loads more to come over the summer. I just thought I'd have a bash at turning attention back to our on-field matters rather than to those damn dirty pigs' unfortunate issues (mwah ha ha ha ha ha).

If I found myself in Megson's position over the summer I'd shape the squad as follows...

GK - Weaver / ROD (Jameson out on loan)

LB - New X1 / Reynolds (transfer list Spur)

RB - Semi / Buxton

LCB - R.Jones (sign) / R.Johnson (Beevers out on loan, if not sold)

RCB - Batth (loan if pos) / Morrison (release Hinds)

RW - New X1 / JJ (release Teale & Sedgewick )

LW - New X1 / D.Jones

CM - New X1 / Coke (release Miller & send Palmer out on loan)

CM - New X1 / Potter (release JOC)

CF - Mellor (sign) / Madine (get rid of Clint n Heffs)

CF - New X2 (quick n skillful)

Or is that too much change?

What would you do?

I wouldnt keep potter, I would offer him for free or for part exchanges.

Oh and I wouldnt sell Beevers, I think he could come good under Megson.

But the rest I agree with.

I'd pretty much agree with that. Although theres no way i'd keep Potter over Miller. If they can sort his contract out i'd keep hold of Miller for another year. Potter though, goodbye.

I don't think Reynolds is any good at left back, nor do i think Dan Jones will be here next year.

I'd also hang on to Beevers

Guest Sheff Owl

Time for a fresh start, get rid of both JOC and Potter been here long enough now, something new needed.

This is what i think may happen...

Squad of 23.

Goalkeepers

1 - Nicky Weaver

2 - Richard O'Donnell

3 - Arron Jameson

Defenders

4 - Lewis Buxton

5 - Jon Otsemebor

6 - *NEW LB*

7 - *NEW CB*

8 - Mark Beevers

9 - Reda Johnson

10 - Michael Morrison

Midfielders

11 - Gary Teale

12 - *NEW RW*

13 - Jermaine Johnson

14 - *NEW LW*

15 - *NEW CM*

16 - Tommy Miller

17 - Liam Palmer

18 - James O' Connor

19 - Giles Coke

Strikers

20 - Gary Madine

21 - Neil Mellor

22 - *NEW ST*

23 - Clinton Morrison

OUTS

Mark Reynolds

Tommy Spurr

Richard Hinds

Darren Potter

Daniel Jones

Chris Sedgwick

Paul Heffernan

Edited by BRADDAZ

Guest ShawyTheOwl

I'll probably get shot for this but oh well..

Why get rid of reynolds? The lad has been here 2 minutes and came here with an excellent reputation.

I just think that although he has had a few dodgy performances we shouldnt be wanting to axe him when he hasnt even had a full season with us.

Give the lad a chance ffs

Guest bigblue

I'd pretty much agree with that. Although theres no way i'd keep Potter over Miller. If they can sort his contract out i'd keep hold of Miller for another year. Potter though, bye.

It's not just a straight choice though. Miller is out of contract, and on the basis that he doesn't have the legs anymore and because him leaving means there's a space for new blood, I'd wave a fond farewell.

Potter is not out of contract, and I'd only keep him as 4th choice cover after bringing at least 2 in. I do think he's a steady if not exciting squad player. If we can move him on and bring another in, fine, I just thought I'd gone far enough on the number of changes.

In terms of Beevers, my preference would be to loan him out for a season; but if the right offer came in I wouldn't be too fussed if I'm honest.

I'll probably get shot for this but oh well..

Why get rid of reynolds? The lad has been here 2 minutes and came here with an excellent reputation.

I just think that although he has had a few dodgy performances we shouldnt be wanting to axe him when he hasnt even had a full season with us.

Give the lad a chance ffs

Agreed, he has not had a decent run in team, lots of people raved about him before and when he came so there must be something about him.

Let him have pre season to prove himself.

Guest bigblue

This is what i think may happen...

Squad of 23.

Goalkeepers

1 - Nicky Weaver

2 - Richard O'Donnell

3 - Arron Jameson

Defenders

4 - Lewis Buxton

5 - Jon Otsemebor

6 - *NEW LB*

7 - *NEW CB*

8 - Mark Beevers

9 - Reda Johnson

10 - Michael Morrison

Midfielders

11 - Gary Teale

12 - *NEW RW*

13 - Jermaine Johnson

14 - *NEW LW*

15 - *NEW CM*

16 - Tommy Miller

17 - Liam Palmer

18 - James O' Connor

19 - Giles Coke

Strikers

20 - Gary Madine

21 - Neil Mellor

22 - *NEW ST*

23 - Clinton Morrison

I fvckin hope not!

That squad is woefully short of cover at fullback, especially considering Semi's fitness record.

I'll also be absolutely gutted if we pass up the opportunity to wave goodbye to our out of contract, aging, and painfully poor midfielders (i.e. JOC, Teale, Miller). OK, the poor bit probably shouldn't apply to Miller, but the rest does. It's a great opportunity to bring three new faces in without incresing squad size is the point I'm making anyway.

I know, I know, there are already loads of threads like this, and loads more to come over the summer. I just thought I'd have a bash at turning attention back to our on-field matters rather than to those damn dirty pigs' unfortunate issues (mwah ha ha ha ha ha).

If I found myself in Megson's position over the summer I'd shape the squad as follows...

GK - Weaver / ROD (Jameson out on loan)

LB - New X1 / Reynolds (transfer list Spur)

RB - Semi / Buxton

LCB - R.Jones (sign) / R.Johnson (Beevers out on loan, if not sold)

RCB - Batth (loan if pos) / Morrison (release Hinds)

RW - New X1 / JJ (release Teale & Sedgewick )

LW - New X1 / D.Jones

CM - New X1 / Coke (release Miller & send Palmer out on loan)

CM - New X1 / Potter (release JOC)

CF - Mellor (sign) / Madine (get rid of Clint n Heffs)

CF - New X2 (quick n skillful)

Or is that too much change?

What would you do?

What the flip!!!!!!???????? . Potter would be the first or second out the flipping door in the summer, been one of the most ineffective midfielders I've ever seen.

I fvckin hope not!

That squad is woefully short of cover at fullback, especially considering Semi's fitness record.

I'll also be absolutely gutted if we pass up the opportunity to wave goodbye to our out of contract, aging, and painfully poor midfielders (i.e. JOC, Teale, Miller). OK, the poor bit probably shouldn't apply to Miller, but the rest does. It's a great opportunity to bring three new faces in without incresing squad size is the point I'm making anyway.

Just point out Teale is not out of contract.

Megson has said he wants a squad of 23.

He's also said that he's handed Mandaric/Aldridge a list of 6 players he wants. Now whether that list includes loan players or there is scope to bring in loan players we obviously don't know.

The logical list of who he'll probably keep and who will go is the one i've posted above IMO. Basing it on which players he used, praised, said will keep so far.

Personally, the keep list and the new additions i've posted isn't far off what i would do.

A few little changes i would make though...

OUT

James O'Connor

Mark Beevers

Clinton Morrison

IN

*NEW CB*

*NEW CM*

*NEW ST*

So i would sign 9 new players in total.

2 x *NEW CB*

1 x *NEW LB*

1 x *NEW RW*

1 x *NEW LW*

2 x *NEW CM*

2 x *NEW ST*

I also don't agree about your point with lack of cover in the full back positions...

We would have....

LEFT BACKS

*NEW LB*

Lewis Buxton

RIGHT BACKS

Jon Otsemebor

Lewis Buxton

Michael Morrison

Plus, we can always venture into the loan market mid season if needed, which could be the case for any postion if required.

Too much change is dangerous, the late run as proved we are not far off (although I recognise we have had an easy run in). If you change too many players, it takes time for the team to bond.

Opening day team for me is...

Weaver

Otsemobor

R Johnson

Baath (on loan)

Sheehan (sign)

Johnson

O'Brien (sign, a good pre season will see the best of him)

Mahon (sign)

Buzsaky (loan)

Mellor (sign)

Madine

Subs O'Donnell, Buxton, Coke, D Jones, Teale, C Morrison, Heffernan

6 new signings, but only 3 new names. I think Megson will be looking at bringing in a similiar amount but including the loan signings.

Move Tommy Spurr to LM for me, as people point out his defending is suspect but he's capable of some of the best delivery's from anyone in our team! Plus he likes to get forward a lot and isn't afraid to run at the opposition, I don't think we should quite give up on him yet without trying this option........he could go on to be out leading assist maker next season.

Simply...He is crap!!

Guest bigblue

Simply...He is crap!!

Nail on head. Not good enough. Needs to go I'm afraid - despite his best efforts sadly.