A review of the first 25 minutes vs Hartlepool

Ok, so I wasn't quite sure where this could've gone, but I decided to take full advantage of Wednesday Player's "view whole game" option and did a little scouting report/analysis of our beloved Owls. Based on the opening 25 minutes against Hartlepool, it should hopefully highlight where I think we've improved under Megson, where we're still lacking - and probably for most of us the "bleedingly obvious".

Still, it was fun. So here goes nothing. Bold writing indicate changes since Megson took charge.

Starting formation: 4-4-2. Flat back 4 [buxton, Jones, Batth, Otsemobor]. Flat midfield emphasising width [Johnson, Miller, O'Connor, Teale]. Staggered front 2 - target man [Madine] and channel runner [Mellor].

Tactics: Rigid shape with clear player roles, direct play - no messing around in final third.

Positives: Transition between with/without ball and vice versa - providing there is a first man there to delay

Negatives: No second man in defence [except maybe when in and around our 18 yard box] - fortunately Hartlepool didn't have any ball-runners or we could've been fooked.

Noone except maybe Tommy Miller and the front two showed an anticipation and awareness to attack the second ball [for example if we or they cleared from defence].

Defence: With the ball - central defenders find target man early, fullbacks play winger if in space or feed into channels.

Without the ball - central defenders man mark, must win in the air, happy for them to delay when strikers have back to goal.

Midfield: With the ball - both central midfielders encouraged to play box to box, play as left centre and right centre in identical roles. Both offer simple options for player in possession, but lack "killer pass" ability. Wingers encouraged to run from deep and cross from between 18 yard and byline.

Without the ball - wingers encouraged to stay wide when waiting to receive, but also instructed to track back. Central midfielders both need to get behind the ball.

Forwards: With the ball - stretch backline, need to be willing to receive at feet [esp. on throw-ins], tend to make similar runs to each other, often leaving noone central should they receive and look to cut back.

Without the ball - one squeeze, one drop.

Recommendations re: recruitment.

*Creative central midfield player + screening midfielder [unless Miller/other can do this role].

*Winger with a decent final ball - doesn't have to be a dribbler.

*Genuine target man.

*Second overlapping fullback.

*Rob Jones on permanent deal.

Tactical strengths: rigid shape means difficult to break down - providing the work is put in.

counter-attacking potential is there because of the good transition, but anyone but Teale on the ball at halfway would've helped.

Tactical weaknesses: a ball-playing defence and midfield can triangle through our "delaying" player, leaving us out of shape when off the ball.

very one-dimensional in attack.

I know there's only one "distinct" change since Megson took over, but I believe it's the most important. If you have a team that knows their roles with and without the ball, who can keep their shape, and who work hard - it's job half-done.

As I said at the start, it's probably nothing that you who've seen the matches week in week out don't know already, but I figured it might've made an interesting midweek read compared to another O'Connor thread. Didn't have the time to go into player analysis, can do for the next game perhaps. Hopefully this adds some justification to my signing recommendations too.

Cheers,

Aussie.

P.S. Yes I've got my coaching badges :biggrin:

Guest locky

I agree and been sayin this all year players role/jobs if they all do it and are solid like you have said job half done

Guest JonTheOwl66

Meh I disagree on several points. But nice to see someone intellectual on here for a change! Or at least someone knowledgeable about football instead of Big Guns.

Meh I disagree on several points. But nice to see someone intellectual on here for a change! Or at least someone knowledgeable about football instead of Big Guns.

If you're currently as bored as me I look forward to a more detailed reply :blush:

Guest JonTheOwl66

If you're currently as bored as me I look forward to a more detailed reply :blush:

I'll get back to you soon. Tonight.. :biggrin:

Guest JonTheOwl66

Starting formation: 4-4-2. Flat back 4 [buxton, Jones, Batth, Otsemobor]. Flat midfield emphasising width [Johnson, Miller, O'Connor, Teale]. Staggered front 2 - target man [Madine] and channel runner [Mellor].

Personally.. I felt like it was a flat back four without the ball, and staggered with. For example, Otsemobor was encouraged to get forwards to support Teale on several occasions, but as soon as the ball was lost; as you say it was immediately a flat back four, the two centre backs attacking every single long ball and the full-backs sweeping up.

Midfield was a slightly different story, we all know JOC is the hustling bustling midfielder who harries opposition players into mistakes, and for this he IS the best in the division. Nobody compares, but unfortunately, we lack that spark next to him, Miller was also encouraged to sit back; allowing the fullback/s to get forward at will. Although of course, this was only one at a time.

The strikers, basically any long ball, one of them attacked it (Normally Madine) and the second made a run in behind (generally Mellor). So far so good.

Tactics: Rigid shape with clear player roles, direct play - no messing around in final third.

This I 100% agree with, the tactic was:

1. Long ball up to Mellor/Madine, bring down and out wide - cross in and attack.

2. Build from back, one of either Miller/JOC drop, receive ball and play it into the gaps between opposition winger and fullback for our wingers to directly run at opposition and attempt to make an opportunity.

Positives: Transition between with/without ball and vice versa - providing there is a first man there to delay

This certainly was a positive, we defended excellently, a lot better than people actually made out. Snuff out any threat with a flat back 8, (midfield + defence) and block any chances. As soon as ball was received, immediately played out wide for the winger to run 1v1 with the opposition.

Negatives: No second man in defence [except maybe when in and around our 18 yard box] - fortunately Hartlepool didn't have any ball-runners or we could've been fooked.

This is only bit I particularly strongly disagree with, the wingers were tracking the fullbacks overlaps relatively well (ish), the two central midfielders were excellent defensively. This usually meant there were 2v1 situations for Wednesday.

Noone except maybe Tommy Miller and the front two showed an anticipation and awareness to attack the second ball [for example if we or they cleared from defence].

Agree with this.

Defence: With the ball - central defenders find target man early, fullbacks play winger if in space or feed into channels.

Just read this, as I said above.

Without the ball - central defenders man mark, must win in the air, happy for them to delay when strikers have back to goal.

The back-line was compact, and the central defenders attacked every single ball (as said above) no messing around, start attacking immediately as soon as ball was won.

Midfield: With the ball - both central midfielders encouraged to play box to box, play as left centre and right centre in identical roles. Both offer simple options for player in possession, but lack "killer pass" ability. Wingers encouraged to run from deep and cross from between 18 yard and byline.

Explained this above, both showed for ball and played it into that gap between opposition wingers and fullbacks, caused all sorts of mischief.

Without the ball - wingers encouraged to stay wide when waiting to receive, but also instructed to track back. Central midfielders both need to get behind the ball.

Yep.

Forwards: With the ball - stretch backline, need to be willing to receive at feet [esp. on throw-ins], tend to make similar runs to each other, often leaving noone central should they receive and look to cut back.

Meh, Mellor generally made the runs in behind and Madine showed for options, was slightly negative the fact that Madine got ball and no support.

Yep.

*Creative central midfield player + screening midfielder [unless Miller/other can do this role].

- Someone alongside JOC-esque player would be an excellent recruitment.

In my opinion, JJ has improved immensely, so somebody with pace to stretch teams and again a decent final ball.

*Genuine target man.

Not needed if Mellor signs with Madine.

Buxton is a solid solid Championship/League 1 defender and on his day, offers a good attacking outlet, but since Otsemobor had to support Teale, Buxton had to stay back.

This. If we sign Batth on loan for season, me will be a very happy man!

Tactical strengths: rigid shape means difficult to break down - providing the work is put in.

YES.

counter-attacking potential is there because of the good transition, but anyone but Teale on the ball at halfway would've helped.

^ as above, somebody to replace Teale on wing.

Tactical weaknesses: a ball-playing defence and midfield can triangle through our "delaying" player, leaving us out of shape when off the ball.

Yes, this was generally JOC, but if we pass this pressure onto the two strikers (although extremely tiring) would allow midfielder to sit alongside other midfielder.

Yep, it worked though. Will soon be found out.

Edited by JonTheOwl66

Sedgwick is the best crosser at the club, yet is vastly underrated on here because he doesn't have the skill or speed to take on people like JJ can.

No idea what Teale does to get in the team ahead of him to be honest, unless Megson likes to have at least one winger on the pitch who can't use his weak foot, run, dribble, pass, cross, take free kicks or seemingly do anything of any value to the team. I'm not mindlessly slating Teale either by the way, earlier in the season (probably around November) I stated on here that he was the only player I'd keep from our current squad if we were in the Premiership. That seems a long time ago now... I've rarely seen any positive contribution from him in the last few months.

jon: thanks for taking the time to reply. i don't think madine is suited as a target man. megson is currently using him like he's league one's andy carroll. hence why i suggested signing one...

re: the second man i watched the rest of the match, and i'm sticking by my point. whenever they had the ball in their half there was only one man pressing the ball. a passing team would've had a field day. i'm not saying the "delay and get men behind the ball" isn't effective, beacuse obviously it's worked up until now. all i'm saying is it would've taken a simple one-two and we would've been attacked against whilst still in transition.

dan: teale plays like he's running through treacle. and i'm not quite sure when the half-chipped, half-floated freekick became so in vogue - please. a bit of pace across the face of goal between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot. couple of centre halves and the centre forwards attacking near, keeper and far. job done. simples. if the angle isn't wide enough, square it for a winger to do the same.

he reminds me of the playground bully that took all the freekicks because he got the ball first and everyone was too scared to ask him for a turn...

We also have a tempo now

ROD quickly threw the ball out wide or played into one of the back 4.

forgot to mention that.

fits in nicely with the counter attacking potential. otsemobor in particular looks very comfortable going forwards. having him on the opposite flank to jj works well as i doubt he'd be able to catch up to get around and overlap mr johnson!

Guest JonTheOwl66

jon: thanks for taking the time to reply. i don't think madine is suited as a target man. megson is currently using him like he's league one's andy carroll. hence why i suggested signing one...

re: the second man i watched the rest of the match, and i'm sticking by my point. whenever they had the ball in their half there was only one man pressing the ball. a passing team would've had a field day. i'm not saying the "delay and get men behind the ball" isn't effective, beacuse obviously it's worked up until now. all i'm saying is it would've taken a simple one-two and we would've been attacked against whilst still in transition.

dan: teale plays like he's running through treacle. and i'm not quite sure when the half-chipped, half-floated freekick became so in vogue - please. a bit of pace across the face of goal between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot. couple of centre halves and the centre forwards attacking near, keeper and far. job done. simples. if the angle isn't wide enough, square it for a winger to do the same.

he reminds me of the playground bully that took all the freekicks because he got the ball first and everyone was too scared to ask him for a turn...

No problem mate. One of the best posts I've read on here, fascinating seeing it in such detail.

On your point, technically Madine is very good, excellent touch, rarely loses it (granted saturday was an exception) and can finish well. But (not having a go just pointing out) I assume you don't go to many games so you're going by that one Hartlepool game (got that from the 'aussieowl' bit). While Madine is not a target man at the moment, he can be fashioned into one over the summer in my opinion.

He has all the qualities, tall, good in the air, strong, good touch etc.. But he has an air of naivety about him where he does ridiculous little niggly things, like dramatically falling over when he gets a tiny push in the back. While in the Premier League it'd be given, were in League 1 and he needs to stop it.

We have several players that could become exceptional talents, but Megson needs to shape them accordingly.

Oh and Teale is poo , started the season off reasonably well, now has nothing.

Ok, so I wasn't quite sure where this could've gone, but I decided to take full advantage of Wednesday Player's "view whole game" option and did a little scouting report/analysis of our beloved Owls. Based on the opening 25 minutes against Hartlepool, it should hopefully highlight where I think we've improved under Megson, where we're still lacking - and probably for most of us the "bleedingly obvious".

Still, it was fun. So here goes nothing. Bold writing indicate changes since Megson took charge.

*Genuine target man.

I know there's only one "distinct" change since Megson took over, but I believe it's the most important. If you have a team that knows their roles with and without the ball, who can keep their shape, and who work hard - it's job half-done.

As I said at the start, it's probably nothing that you who've seen the matches week in week out don't know already, but I figured it might've made an interesting midweek read compared to another O'Connor thread. Didn't have the time to go into player analysis, can do for the next game perhaps. Hopefully this adds some justification to my signing recommendations too.

Cheers,

Aussie.

P.S. Yes I've got my coaching badges :biggrin:

Excellent read. I hope you are given your own section AussieOwl talks tactics would be brilliant, and something I would read wth great interest.

Look forward to seing more, keep up the good work.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest bigblue

I must admit I've found the one-man closing down frustrating. If we only showed a bit of anticipation and closed down the second man too (because 9 out of 10 times it's obvious where the ball is going next!) we'd create ourselves chances by forcing the opposition to make mistakes. They're L1 players, so mistakes are likely given the right pressure.

The main problem I think we have there is that 5 of our front 6 are the wrong side of 30. You need a bit of youthful energy and stamina to play a proper high-tempo pressing game.

Maybe next season....

I must admit I've found the one-man closing down frustrating. If we only showed a bit of anticipation and closed down the second man too (because 9 out of 10 times it's obvious where the ball is going next!) we'd create ourselves chances by forcing the opposition to make mistakes. They're L1 players, so mistakes are likely given the right pressure.

The main problem I think we have there is that 5 of our front 6 are the wrong side of 30. You need a bit of youthful energy and stamina to play a proper high-tempo pressing game.

Maybe next season....

I think it's a case of Megson taking it a step by step.

The difference between us on Saturday and the last time I saw us (at Saints) was night and day (without the ball)

thanks all.

jon: am living in oz, the "review" was based on the 90 minutes that i get to watch on wednesday player.

i'll see if i have time for something like this for the remaining games - provided they are all available online. see if the tactical bit i listed above is consistent or if it was just for the match. maybe player analysis? who knows...

cheers,

aussie.

Guest bigblue

I think it's a case of Megson taking it a step by step.

The difference between us on Saturday and the last time I saw us (at Saints) was night and day (without the ball)

I'd agree with that.

We need a totally new midfield in the summer to play a more pressing game I think though.

Guest JonTheOwl66

thanks all.

jon: am living in oz, the "review" was based on the 90 minutes that i get to watch on wednesday player.

i'll see if i have time for something like this for the remaining games - provided they are all available online. see if the tactical bit i listed above is consistent or if it was just for the match. maybe player analysis? who knows...

cheers,

aussie.

Ahh.. If so that was a million times better than it has been.

Looking forward to your threads in the future.