Next Seasons Squad

The only players I can see us keeping, along with the positions I think we will be looking to fill, are the following:

GK : N Weaver

GK : R O'Donnell

GK : A Jameson

RB: J Otsemobor

RB: L Buxton

LB:

LB:

CB: R Johnson

CB: M Beevers

CB:

CB:

RW: J Johnson

LW:

RW/LW:

CM: T Miller

CM: G Coke

CM: Palmer

CM:

CM:

S: G Madine

S:

S:

S:

Out of the current loan players we have I'd have Jones, Batth (unrealistic), and Mellor.

Not far off the clear out lol will have, I think we'll sign JOB too, not that I think he'll strengthen the squad, I just think lol will get him cheap and he'll be a bit of a bench warmer with the occasional appearance.

Key:-

Caps= Release/try to sell

*the rest retain/sign*

Weaver, RO'D, Jameson

Otsemobor, Buxton, R Jones, R Johnson, M Morrison, D Jones, HINDS, SPURR, BEEVERS, REYNOLDS, BATTH ( unlikely to be available)

J Johnson, Coke, O'Brien, JOC, MILLER, POTTER, SEDGWICK, TEALE

Madine, HEFFERNAN, C MORRISON, Mellor ( undecided )

Looking at that we will need:- at least 1 defender ( Left-Bk pref)

3 Midfielders- 2 wingers

1 CM to boss proceedings

2/3 forwards

Aswell as R Jones, O'Brien being made permanent.

Making it around 8 new arrivals. Which could be mainly financed by the departing players!

Guest matt_esskay

GK

Keep: Weaver, O’Donnell, Jameson

Sell/Buy: None, we seem to have three solid goalkeepers here, though Megson might want to loan out one of the youngsters for more experience

DEFENDERS

Keep: Ots, Buxton (new contract), Beevers, R Johnson, M Morrison

Sell: Whether we’ll get offers or not remains to be seen but looks like Daniel Jones, Spurr, Reynolds are surplus to recquirements if they can’t get in the team ahead of a right footer, Megson will surely want to keep one to have a natural in this position, but not sure who.

Buy: As every manager has said for the previous several seasons I’m sure Megson’s first priority will be to bring in an experienced, commanding CB, (especially as the rest of those defenders are pretty in other words a “Darren Purse figure”. Current loanee Jones might fit the bill but we seem to have a lot of left footed CBs at the moment. Someone like Andrew Davies (Stoke), Leon Cort (Burnley), Sean St Ledger (Preston), Stephen Craigan (Motherwell), Anthony Gardener (Hull) – would probably all be feasible but at the top of our price range, though I’m sure this very important position will be Megson’s number one priority. He’s a bit younger but I also Krystian Pearce at Notts County.

MIDFIELDERS

Keep: JJ (new contract), Teale, Sedgwick, Miller, Coke

Sell: Potter, Palmer (season loan), O’Connor (released)

Buy: I think we would be best to deploy a natural DM alongside either one of the more attacking CMs Miller & Coke. JoC has tried to do this in recent weeks but fundamentally lacks the positional sense to do it well. Perhaps with a full preseason under his belt O’Brien could prove to be a bargain at doing this job? Another option could be former Liverpool midfielder Damien Plessis. He’s tall and strong, models his game on Gilberto Silva (just the sort of player we need) and has been told to find a new club by Panathinaikos. I know its controversial but I would also consider offering Robbie Savage a one year deal, passionate, vocal a leader and out marked Abdal Taarbat the other night. Also David Prutton (Swindon), Simon Walton (Plymouth) are cheap options.

I think the other midfield position Megson will look for is a genuine left footed winger, as this is something we lack and I think he likes good wingers (eg signing Lee and Taylor for Bolton). Lee Cook (QPR) will obviously be mentioned again, but also maybe Matty Robson (Carlisle), Jim Paterson (Plymouth) or Alan O’Brien (Swindon).

FORWARDS

Keep: Madine

Sell: C Morrison (though I doubt anyone will take him so he’ll probably have to stay), Heffernan.

Buy: I would like to see Neil Mellor sign but I don’t think its in any way a foregone conclusion. Preston are coming down and Phil Brown might well fancy hanging on to someone who just scored 17 goals at this level, also other Championship teams might be sniffing round. It could be hard and we might have to look to other more affordable targets.

I would think Megson will go for two types of player. Firstly, he likes a target man and clearly really rates Madine, but it’s a bit unfair to put all of that pressure on a young lad. So maybe an experienced figure like Steve Howard (Leicester) or Rory Fallon (Plymouth) or Rowan Vine (QPR) could be brought in to help him along for a season.

To play alongside Madine if we don’t get Mellor I think we really need to look for a bit of genuine pace, which we are currently lacking. I think Chesterfield’s top scorer, Craig Davies would be a very low risk signing as he’s available on a free and is young and hungry. Zoko, Madine’s former partner at Carlisle might be an option but so too could be Will Hoskins (Bristol Rovers), Simeon Jackson (Norwich, if they go up), Ishmel Demontagnac (Blackpool), Jermaine Easter (Palace) or Adam Le Fondre (Rotherham).