The goalkeeper chestnut

Don't know if there's already a thread on this subject but i've been having a debate with a mate mainly about Weaver, he doesn't rate him at all. Mainly because of the poor run of form he had before he got injured, having said that wasn't every player on a bad run of form post christmas?

O'Donnell has been excellent for us over the past few weeks and has settled a few nerves i had about having to play our 3rd choice between the sticks, he's not made many mistakes and shown pressure doesn't bother him one bit which is a brilliant sign for such a young lad - however, since the attitude and effort of the players seems to have changed recently, doesn't it make you wonder how Weaver would be performing? He's made some top drawer saves this season and put many a good shift in even when heads were low.

I'm not saying when he's fit he should walk streight back into the side because that would be daft with how ROD is performing, but if he shows he up for it in training i can see him making a swift return. Megson obviously thinks a lot of him giving him a 2 year contract. Either way it leaves a tough decision for GM.

Whats your thoughts?

BTW, how good is it to know we have such a young up and coming gem of a player in ROD? He still has a good 15 years infront of him and can only get better.

Guest pac-man

Weaver contract stated that after a number of appearances he would be offered a new two year deal. That is why he has played a lot of games in an injury.

Never really thought ROD would be this good. Thought he would have only just made it as a Conference keeper but then again that's my fault for judging him before seeing him play more than a game. It's strange because I was worried at the start of the season about Weaver getting injured but then Jameson came in and calmed my nerves. When Jameson & Weaver got injured I was sh*tting myself because I thought ROD would **** it up. It's nice to know we have 3 Keepers capable of playing at this Level.

Never really thought ROD would be this good. Thought he would have only just made it as a Conference keeper but then again that's my fault for judging him before seeing him play more than a game. It's strange because I was worried at the start of the season about Weaver getting injured but then Jameson came in and calmed my nerves. When Jameson & Weaver got injured I was sh*tting myself because I thought ROD would **** it up. It's nice to know we have 3 Keepers capable of playing at this Level.

Agree, should have praised Jameson aswell really, I was astonished by him away at MK. Good solid shift.

Guest totemowl

O'Donnell's looked competent and a good prospect. However his distribution - in the wind against Tranmere - was scary and not up to the quality we expect from Weaver.

Guest 03 owl

Weaver's Experience is invaluable as a keeper, It can only benefit the young lads we have in that position, he has played at the highest level and saying all that i am delighted he is staying to give his input and experience on to the young keepers and players alike ( Goalkeeping Coach).

:) Will Hold the record for Clean sheets at Man City for a Decade at least lol.

UTO.

Weaver's Experience is invaluable as a keeper, It can only benefit the young lads we have in that position, he has played at the highest level and saying all that i am delighted he is staying to give his input and experience on to the young keepers and players alike ( Goalkeeping Coach).

:) Will Hold the record for Clean sheets at Man City for a Decade at least lol.

UTO.

Think Joe Hart is about 2 clean sheets away from the record?

Guest 03 owl

Hart needs 3 more clean sheets.

Weaver set the current record during City’s 1998/99 campaign when he remained unbeaten in 25 of the 55 games he played that season.

r o'd REALLY needs to work on his kicking as it left a lot to be desired against hartlepool.

that said, he has done fantastically for such a young lad (especially considering the age that 'keepers expect to peak).

one for the future, that's for sure.

BTW, how good is it to know we have such a young up and coming gem of a player in ROD? He still has a good 15 years infront of him and can only get better.

I hate that cliche - and it's wrong

Many players don't get better.....they get worse - we should know

Let's hope ROD does kick on and continue to improve - but it's by no means a certainty

r o'd REALLY needs to work on his kicking as it left a lot to be desired against hartlepool.

that said, he has done fantastically for such a young lad (especially considering the age that 'keepers expect to peak).

His kicking is unusually poor for a keeper, but it's somthing that can be worked on and at the age he's at i'm not too concerned about it.

On the other hand his throwing was impeccable against Pools, always looking for a quick attacking outlet.

I hate that cliche - and it's wrong

Many players don't get better.....they get worse - we should know

Let's hope ROD does kick on and continue to improve - but it's by no means a certainty

So your saying he's at his best now? At the tender age of 20ish? Isn't that only the beggining for a goalkeeper?

Guest S.W.F.C

Remember i said weaver is average, he will allways be a average keeper!

Not saying thats bad in league 1. But Gets beaten to mutch from distance.

So your saying he's at his best now? At the tender age of 20ish? Isn't that only the beggining for a goalkeeper?

I'm saying that young players do not always "only get better" - many fail to improve and fulfill their potential

If you rewind 3 years many on this site wouldn't have sold Beevers for £5m (remember our £20m defence?) - many thinking he was an England captain in waiting - now he can't get in a league 1 team and has been displaced by a kid from another academy

Players don't always get better

Richie Humphrey's peaked in his first few games for us and we turned down £3m for him - which would be double figures these days - he just went backwards after a handful of games at the start of his career with us

I'm saying that young players do not always "only get better" - many fail to improve and fulfill their potential

If you rewind 3 years many on this site wouldn't have sold Beevers for £5m (remember our £20m defence?) - many thinking he was an England captain in waiting - now he can't get in a league 1 team and has been displaced by a kid from another academy

Richie Humphrey's peaked in his first few games for us and we turned down £3m for him - which would be double figures these days - he just went backwards after a handful of games at the start of his career with us

Point taken.

When Beevers started off he was quality, he was confident, composed on the ball and a rock at the back. He took a turn for the worse when he was placed in a back 4 that made a hell of a lot of mistakes which took his confidence away completely. If he had continued in a strong back four he would have probably been sold by now but because of poor management and coaching. If we keep him in the summer I reckon Megson will get him back to his best.

ROD can only improve.

What aspect of his kicking does he struggle with?Not seen him yet this season.