Another good ROD performance....

Guest dean308

Guest dean308

Don't get chance to post much, sorry if this has been mentioned before....

Was really disappointed to hear Megson post match openly warning us that Nicholls will most likely be given a chance now we have the opportunity to chop and change things after reaching 53 points.

Richard O'Donnell has been needing to gain experience for two seasons now, and despite the occasional odd poor kick, his overall early distribution with throws (yesterday this was particularly apparent) and the majority of his kicking has improved.

Also, his general goalkeeping ability and communication skills seem to have proven he is a more than capable understudy to someone like Weaver for the next couple of seasons.

Yes Wigan have allowed us to borrow Nicholls who is highly thought of there......and Megson has mentioned post Hartlepool that they would try to give him experience as per a gentleman's agreement.

But surely we should be more concerned with our own players. Now we are comfortable, with Weaver back in early training and Cuff as an option otherwise, I would rather send Nicholls back to give ROD more experience. It will do ROD's confidence no good losing the gloves to anyone other than Weaver.

Also, just wish Megson could see sense over the last 4 games and give Palmer a little more game time (who had a couple of good games and then got completely dropped after one poor 45 mins at Hillsborough) and wouldn't mind Daniel Jones on left mid instead of Teale (our weakest link yesterday).

UTO

If GM got the player on the pretext of an agreement then he has to honour it - we will need to use the loan market in the future and even though other clubs are ahead of us in the pecking order to send their players to - it will be further detrimental if we get a reputation for ignoring the terms of the loan - even if a gentlemans agreement

Guest dean308

Fair enough, just hope that is explained clearly to the dropped player. The less loan players we use in the future the better, more bothered about what's going on within our own set of contracted squad players.

Fair enough, just hope that is explained clearly to the dropped player. The less loan players we use in the future the better, more bothered about what's going on within our own set of contracted squad players.

Doesn't really matter though

Megsons lost the dressing room don't you know :ph34r:

:biggrin:

How about letting Megson decide how he wants to handle these remaining fixtures? It's not as though there is anything riding on them..

Listening to Megson's interview, I got the impression that Nichols might get one game, not the last four. I'm sure RoD would understand being on the bench at say Bristol Rovers.

I would rather Nicholls play at Walsall as Bristol is going to be a good day out with it being last away game and ROD should start last 2 games at Hillsborough

I would rather Nicholls play at Walsall as Bristol is going to be a good day out with it being last away game and ROD should start last 2 games at Hillsborough

Isn't it a tad unfair to other clubs fighting for their lives us playing rookies. Not saying that Nichols is a poor keeper. I knows its look after number one these days and its a fantastic position for us to be able to do this but part of me thinks we shouldn't do this. If both teams have no influence on the ups and downs then its ok. Maybe i'm just trying to be fair to all!

Isn't it a tad unfair to other clubs fighting for their lives us playing rookies. Not saying that Nichols is a poor keeper. I knows its look after number one these days and its a fantastic position for us to be able to do this but part of me thinks we shouldn't do this. If both teams have no influence on the ups and downs then its ok. Maybe i'm just trying to be fair to all!

O'Donnell was a rookie when we played him he had only played at Grimsby for a month or so and except Exeter the 3 other teams we play are all fighting for their lives so if we play him Walsall would be my pick as ROD deserves to play in last 2 home games and in last away game

O'Donnell was a rookie when we played him he had only played at Grimsby for a month or so and except Exeter the 3 other teams we play are all fighting for their lives so if we play him Walsall would be my pick as ROD deserves to play in last 2 home games and in last away game

Hasn't really put a foot wrong has he (the odd wayward ball) deserves his place in the side for me regardless of whatever agreement we have with Wigan.

Sounds like GM had agreed to give Nichols a game 'if he could'. Its unfair for ROD to lose his place when he's bided his time to get his chance to possibly have it taken by a loan player. Remember also we are only allowed 5 loanees in the matchday squad, who else would be sacrificed?

If we have promised to give him a game, we should give him a game. Football is an 'old boys network' and we don't want to develop a reputation for messing clubs about and breaking promises.

O'Donnell has shown us all that he's more than capable, the pressure is totally off- there is no harm in giving Nicholls a game or two with 4 fixtures left to complete.

So long as Nicholls does alright, i'd give him the next two games (Walsall away and Swindon at home) and then give O'Donnell the last two (Bristol Rovers away and Exeter at home.)

Hasn't really put a foot wrong has he (the odd wayward ball) deserves his place in the side for me regardless of whatever agreement we have with Wigan.

Sounds like GM had agreed to give Nichols a game 'if he could'. Its unfair for ROD to lose his place when he's bided his time to get his chance to possibly have it taken by a loan player. Remember also we are only allowed 5 loanees in the matchday squad, who else would be sacrificed?

True ROD has done well for us but that shows that just because he is a rookie doesnt mean he isnt good enough if we have a gentleman's agreement to give Nicholls a game and go against it we could struggle to get players in next year on 'emergency loans' and dont we just have the 5 loanees since Ozzy was sent back Batth, Jones, Nicholls,JOB and Mellor

Nobody as we only have 5 at the club

Feel a bit sorry for Nicholls actually

I think he was unfortunate in that everybody expected O'Donnell to make a mistake or two which would have given Nicholls a chance- as it has turned out, RoD has been very impressive and (kicking aside) has matched Weaver's performance levels for the most part, meaning Nicholls has been confined to the bench.

A game or two before the end of the season and this will still have been a good experience for the guy- working with new coaches/players/management staff and being in the matchday squad on a consistant basis. Being in the matchday squad at Hillsborough is a definite step up from playing in the reserves up at Wigan.

Guest Wildman1867

Don't get chance to post much, sorry if this has been mentioned before....

Was really disappointed to hear Megson post match openly warning us that Nicholls will most likely be given a chance now we have the opportunity to chop and change things after reaching 53 points.

Richard O'Donnell has been needing to gain experience for two seasons now, and despite the occasional odd poor kick, his overall early distribution with throws (yesterday this was particularly apparent) and the majority of his kicking has improved.

Also, his general goalkeeping ability and communication skills seem to have proven he is a more than capable understudy to someone like Weaver for the next couple of seasons.

Yes Wigan have allowed us to borrow Nicholls who is highly thought of there......and Megson has mentioned post Hartlepool that they would try to give him experience as per a gentleman's agreement.

But surely we should be more concerned with our own players. Now we are comfortable, with Weaver back in early training and Cuff as an option otherwise, I would rather send Nicholls back to give ROD more experience. It will do ROD's confidence no good losing the gloves to anyone other than Weaver.

Also, just wish Megson could see sense over the last 4 games and give Palmer a little more game time (who had a couple of good games and then got completely dropped after one poor 45 mins at Hillsborough) and wouldn't mind Daniel Jones on left mid instead of Teale (our weakest link yesterday).

UTO

I have been on this forum many times stating that he has the potential to be a very good keeper and hace been constatly slagged off with people saying hes crap, he has no potential, he would cost us points, we would go down if he played etc

Well i hope all those people who slagged him off choke on their own words as he has now shown the potential that a few of us knew he had.

Over the last seven games he has played he has become more consistent, i was very impressed with the way he rolled the ball out to the players and his all round general awareness along with the way he constantly shouts at the players.

you can see what it means to the lad when we win and he keeps a clen sheet.

I know that he has a contract along with jameson until the end of next season and personally if i was megson i would be looking to extend this.

Now he has had a taste of playing every week i wouldn't be suprised to see other teams come in for him in the summer as his displays will have got him noticed and if he wants to stay and we want too keep him we need to get his contact sorted asap.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

If there is a gentleman's agreement inplace, then we should honour it.

4 keeper's in one season, is this a record for Wednesday?

I think we used five in the 2003/04 season, Eric Nixon, Kevin Pressman, David Lucas, Rob Poulter and Ola Tidman

O'Donnell has had a spell with Oldham as well