talking in the pub yesterday (On Topic)

We're were talking in the pub yesterday about the the last ten years at WBA. The fact that we are the club with smallest catchment area out of the big 4 midlands clubs, we have the smallest ground (26,000) though have planning permission to expand. Our chairman is financially the poorest in the league with a net worth of £40 million (Valeri Belokon co-owner of Blackpool is worth £1.5 Billion).

We talked about Birmingham and how we have choice of 4 clubs. I was born in and have lived most of my life in South Birmingham so technically I should be a Blue nose. But, my old man's family lived over in Smethwick and took me to The Hawthorns when I was a kid. This is where we started talking other places such as Newcastle and Sunderland which has one team eaah and because have Massive catchment areas and Sheffield where you're either an Owl or a Blade.

These last ten years have been anything but boring it's either been Promotion or Relegation battles for us. Perhaps it is because we haven't got super massive asperations we've been

content to yo-yo until now we may be in a position to kick on to mid table Prem security.

Here my point and its a hypothetical question. Forget for a minute League 1 and say Wednesday were an upper Championship team destined for Automatic, but, you didn't have Milan Mandaric. You had someone who like our chairman ran the club well, but, didn't have a massive fortune. Stadium same as it is now. Fanbase though would relate to your position Could you as fans accept a number of yo-yo years in order to obtain prem security?

I don't think their such a thing as prem security unless you're Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool which I believe are being kept artificially at the top of the UK game by TV.

Perhaps not, but, you could go on a multi year run. I kind of meant would fact that your a big club with a massive catchment work against you in this scenario.

We're were talking in the pub yesterday about the the last ten years at WBA. The fact that we are the club with smallest catchment area out of the big 4 midlands clubs, we have the smallest ground (26,000) though have planning permission to expand. Our chairman is financially the poorest in the league with a net worth of £40 million (Valeri Belokon co-owner of Blackpool is worth £1.5 Billion).

We talked about Birmingham and how we have choice of 4 clubs. I was born in and have lived most of my life in South Birmingham so technically I should be a Blue nose. But, my old man's family lived over in Smethwick and took me to The Hawthorns when I was a kid. This is where we started talking other places such as Newcastle and Sunderland which has one team eaah and because have Massive catchment areas and Sheffield where you're either an Owl or a Blade.

These last ten years have been anything but boring it's either been Promotion or Relegation battles for us. Perhaps it is because we haven't got super massive asperations we've been

content to yo-yo until now we may be in a position to kick on to mid table Prem security.

Here my point and its a hypothetical question. Forget for a minute League 1 and say Wednesday were an upper Championship team destined for Automatic, but, you didn't have Milan Mandaric. You had someone who like our chairman ran the club well, but, didn't have a massive fortune. Stadium same as it is now. Fanbase though would relate to your position Could you as fans accept a number of yo-yo years in order to obtain prem security?

If we were promoted to the PL we would survive and prosper purely due to the size of our ground and potential to expand it.

our capacities still 37K -40K depending upon segregation.

We also have plans drawn up recently for the failed WC bit to take it up to 45k without to much problems.

Average PL teams fuch as fulham, bolton wigan, everton, even spurs would be in for a shock coming to a fully packed S6.

imho by rights we should be top 12 PL with an outside european chance.

Basically from your good selves in 11th our stadium is bigger than all the lower half current PL clubs with the exception of sunderland, whom have never been tradionally big.

We come in 30 year cycles give or take a few years anyway.......

1920-30's, 1960's - second only by a point in the 1st to that so called magical spurrs double team which people still go on about.

1990's Europe, League cup. FA Cup, Another League final.

2010-20's shouold be historicall about our recovery period now

lol

So no

Historically we rise fall, and rise again. We don't really do Yo,Yo.........

Dark$ide, how on earth can you compare Spurs and Everton with Fulham, Wigan, Bolton. Both clubs are bigger than Sheffield Wednesday as well and Goodison is bigger whilst WHL is slightly smaller (lets forget the fact Spurs are moving grounds at some point).

Baggiehy, If WBA were/are this club that broke even whilst being a Yo-Yo club then your chairman/club must be worth more than £40m. The only way that WBA could push on to Europe is if you have a very lucky season whilst other sides don't. This counts for half of the Premier League. This season Bolton are doing well, last year Fulham did well.

You can't be consistent good without spending money. So going back to your question, has your board of directors or owner outlined their intention?

I think the increased fan base due short term success (10k) would find it harder to except short term failure (yo yo) yes. But the core base which in my opinion is about 22-24k would be on the whole happy the hardcore base 15-17k would clearly have no issue with it.

Just for clarity

15-17k hardcore

Add another 8 - 10k to get the core base (22/24k)

Add a further 10k for our total base ie premiership success (30-34k)

If we were promoted to the PL we would survive and prosper purely due to the size of our ground and potential to expand it.

our capacities still 37K -40K depending upon segregation.

We also have plans drawn up recently for the failed WC bit to take it up to 45k without to much problems.

Average PL teams fuch as fulham, bolton wigan, everton, even spurs would be in for a shock coming to a fully packed S6.

imho by rights we should be top 12 PL with an outside european chance.

Basically from your good selves in 11th our stadium is bigger than all the lower half current PL clubs with the exception of sunderland, whom have never been tradionally big.

We come in 30 year cycles give or take a few years anyway.......

1920-30's, 1960's - second only by a point in the 1st to that so called magical spurrs double team which people still go on about.

1990's Europe, League cup. FA Cup, Another League final.

2010-20's shouold be historicall about our recovery period now

lol

So no

Historically we rise fall, and rise again. We don't really do Yo,Yo.........

History suggests otherwise :biggrin:

Post-war turmoil

The 1950s saw Wednesday unable to consistently hold on to a position in the top flight. After being promoted back up in 1950, they were relegated three times, although each time they bounced back up by winning the Second Division the following season. The decade ended on a high note with the team finally finishing in the top half of the First Division for the first time since the Second World War

1950–1951 Division 1

1951–1952 Division 2

1952–1955 Division 1

1955–1956 Division 2

1956–1958 Division 1

1958–1959 Division 2

1959–1970 Division 1

Two words..... Playoff, Hartlepool.

You don't need to play the Manchesters and Arsenals of this world to have the best day of your life at a football game, the occasional promotion from any division = success= money to the club, like G-Reg said, I'd bite you hand off to the elbow.

Dark$ide, how on earth can you compare Spurs and Everton with Fulham, Wigan, Bolton. Both clubs are bigger than Sheffield Wednesday as well and Goodison is bigger whilst WHL is slightly smaller (lets forget the fact Spurs are moving grounds at some point).

Baggiehy, If WBA were/are this club that broke even whilst being a Yo-Yo club then your chairman/club must be worth more than £40m. The only way that WBA could push on to Europe is if you have a very lucky season whilst other sides don't. This counts for half of the Premier League. This season Bolton are doing well, last year Fulham did well.

You can't be consistent good without spending money. So going back to your question, has your board of directors or owner outlined their intention?

Hey Putney, the club Is in a holding company which is worth a hell of a lot more than 40 million. Its ring fenced to protect from financial mismangement thats happened in the past. Peace controls its but its a seperate legal entity from Peace. The £40m comes from the £2 million per year we pay him and his merchant banking buisness. You ask about his Intentions? In years past he would have stayed with RDM and in all likelyhood got relegated with him, taken the Parachute and not renewed his contract (all our Managerial contracts under peace are 12-15 month Rolling contracts). This year he got Roy. giving us a chance of staying up. I honestly believe Peace needs us to stablise in the prem for a couple of years so he can sell

Not really. Its just been that we have so crap for the last 15 years people have forgotten about us.

i've been to both everton and spurs and seen us win.

Historically neither everton or spurs are any bigger than SWFC. They have just been more successfulness in the PL time over the past 10 years, whilst we have been imploding.

The so called magical 61/62 spurs double winning side only just beat wednesday that season to the league title, which people often forget about.

Goodison is only just over 40K and hillsborough is just a shade under at 39,812 official capacity. Both almost identical sized grounds.

White heart lane actually has a capacity of 36,000 4K less than SWFC, and actually feels FAR smaller as an arena, IMHO.

If we had been half managed and run half completely over the past decade to twenty years, we would be operating along similar lines of spurs and eveton.

Mid table PL, with both the odd flirt with relegation and the odd flirt with Europe, imho is about where SWFC should be.

Not really. Its just been that we have so crap for the last 15 years people have forgotten about us.

i've been to both everton and spurs and seen us win.

Historically neither everton or spurs are any bigger than SWFC. They have just been more successfulness in the PL time over the past 10 years, whilst we have been imploding.

The so called magical 61/62 spurs double winning side only just beat wednesday that season to the league title, which people often forget about.

Goodison is only just over 40K and hillsborough is just a shade under at 39,812 official capacity. Both almost identical sized grounds.

White heart lane actually has a capacity of 36,000 4K less than SWFC, and actually feels FAR smaller as an arena, IMHO.

If we had been half managed and run half completely over the past decade to twenty years, we would be operating along similar lines of spurs and eveton.

Mid table PL, with both the odd flirt with relegation and the odd flirt with Europe, imho is about where SWFC should be.

Spurs trophies....17 (1 since the inception of PL)

Everton trophies...15 (1 since the inception of PL)

Sheff Wed............8

Everton have also been in the top flight more than any other club whilst Spurs have spent 1 season outside of it since 1950.

As much as fans of every club tries to argue their case for being a global force, it isn't happening...

And 'if', well you haven't so you aren't.

Spurs trophies....17 (1 since the inception of PL)

Everton trophies...15 (1 since the inception of PL)

Sheff Wed............8

Everton have also been in the top flight more than any other club whilst Spurs have spent 1 season outside of it since 1950.

As much as fans of every club tries to argue their case for being a global force, it isn't happening...

And 'if', well you haven't so you aren't.

Seriously - i'd give up

If anybody seriously believes that neither Spurs nor Everton are bigger clubs than Wednesday then you're not gonna convince them otherwise

Seriously - i'd give up

If anybody seriously believes that neither Spurs nor Everton are bigger clubs than Wednesday then you're not gonna convince them otherwise

haha.

I had this argument with a friend of mine who is a Wednesday fan.

He was adamant that we were as big as both Spurs and Everton.

I tried to point out that he was talking out of his backside, but then gave up when he announced that Newcastle were a bigger club than both.