Milan and Megson plot summer signings for Sheffield Wednesday

http://www.thestar.c...esday_1_3280519

CHAIRMAN Milan Mandaric has confirmed he will speak to manager Gary Megson today to discuss Sheffield Wednesday's summer recruitment drive.

Megson, whose record reads won four, lost nine and drawn three since succeeding Alan Irvine at the helm, is poised to have a sit-down chat with Mandaric and chief executive Paul Aldridge as he aims to transform the Owls' fortunes.

It is thought the trio will chat about potential transfer targets and also have a conversation about how many of the club's out-of -ontract players are to be retained.

After being left out of the 2-0 defeat at Brighton and Hove Albion for contractual reasons, captain Tommy Miller's uncertain situation is likely to crop up.

Along with James O'Connor, Jermaine Johnson, Lewis Buxton and Richard Hinds, the midfielder's deal expires come the end of the campaign.

Mandaric told The Star: "I think we are safe now from going down so we are starting to look to the future.

"It has been difficult to look too far ahead because we have not known whether we are going to stay up or not. We are now starting to prepare for next season. We have to do it in the right way and we can't leave any room for error."

He added: "I am going to meet with Gary and we will see what's what for next year. We will discuss how many players he might need to take us to the next level."

On season ticket sales, the multi-millionaire businessman added: "We have sold around 9,000. I am very pleased to have that many signed up for next year. It is encouraging for the club and for myself. Now we have to do our jobs and give them something to cheer about."

Guest SteveyOwl

is it just me who thinks we are not yet safe from going down? A win on Saturday and I will be more comfortable with plotting transfer targets etc but right now I think were still in the thick of a relegation fight with teams below still picking up points.

I expect some "bigger" names. Milan will want bums on seats, and what better than getting some names that might draw a crowd.

This season has been pants. But this summer promises excitement. For for the first time in a dozen years we will be able to get players that are not free agents, or free transfers.

I expect some "bigger" names. Milan will want bums on seats, and what better than getting some names that might draw a crowd.

This season has been pants. But this summer promises excitement. For for the first time in a dozen years we will be able to get players that are not free agents, or free transfers.

If ever there was a reminder that 'big names' are not what is needed in league one, then you only have to look at the season we've just had.

Our team was full of them.

We need quality players with desire who are on the way up. Not has been 'names' who are looking for a nice retirement fund.

If ever there was a reminder that 'big names' are not what is needed in league one, then you only have to look at the season we've just had.

We need quality players with desire who are on the way up. Not has been 'names' who are looking for a nice retirement fund.

This!!!

Bang on beholder. But the big difference between this Summer and last is we have a manager who knows what hes doing. we have a chairman who knows what hes doing. I honestly dont think many of the players we now have would have been signed by the current manager. Oh and weve got a pot to wee wee in this Summer. Happy day. dont you just love Milans ambition for the club. Wonder if McSue and Micky boy we will be having a similar chat :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited by Plonk

Guest Distraught!

Brighton have just shown us how to do it.

I can't really say any of their players are well known and none as far as I know were particularly expensive.

Just money spent very wisely then moulded into a coherent unit.

Guest AnotherOwl

is it just me who thinks we are not yet safe from going down? A win on Saturday and I will be more comfortable with plotting transfer targets etc but right now I think were still in the thick of a relegation fight with teams below still picking up points.

Totally agree. I am still worried. Thinking we are safe could be a big mistake. Especially is the players continue to play like they have for 90% of this fecking season.

Totally agree. I am still worried. Thinking we are safe could be a big mistake. Especially is the players continue to play like they have for 90% of this fecking season.

The gap might only be 7 points, with 5 games left, but 5 teams would have to overhaul us for us to be in the relegation spots. Bearing in mind a few of them still play each other, it's a pretty big ask for them all to do it.

The gap might only be 7 points, with 5 games left, but 5 teams would have to overhaul us for us to be in the relegation spots. Bearing in mind a few of them still play each other, it's a pretty big ask for them all to do it.

We play them all though so that doesnt help !

We only need 1 win then its done.