Team of Legends

Guest bigblue

Guest bigblue

Not the best XI tactically or even the best overall necessarily, but a team of your favourite players across the years. Starter for ten...

Manager - Big Ron

- - - - - - - Pressman - - - - - - -

Zico - Bullen - Pearson - Irish

Wads - Shez - Whelan - Di Canio

- - - - - Hirsty - Gerald - - - - - -

If you're old enough I guess Big Jack would be manager and Micky Lyons would play, but I'm not, so they don't make it into my side.

Nilson & Walker miss out for me despite being better in their positions that Sterland & Bullen. Mainly based on commitment. Zico & Bully were proper Wedneaday legends in my book!

Who would be in your side? ...

Edited by bigblue

Not the best XI tactically or even the best overall necessarily, but a team of your favourite players across the years. Starter for ten...

Manager - Big Ron

If you're old enough I guess Big Jack would be manager and Micky Lyons would play, but I'm not, so they don't make it into my side.

Nilson & Walker miss out for me despite being better in their positions that Sterland & Bullen. Mainly based on commitment. Zico & Bully were proper Wedneaday legends in my book!

Eh?!

Guest bigblue

IS it Ever ? or the starter for 10 last years ?

Ever

I'm just not old enough to include anyone further back than Zico.

The starter for ten bit is a commonly used phrase taken from quiz shows.

Guest bigblue

Eh?!

Read the whole lot rather than just the bit you've bolded. Zico and Bully get in "mainly based on commitment" - i.e. making the point that they were never as good as Nilson or Walker, but were legends in my eyes because of the commitment to the cause that they showed.

Guest bigblue

Sorry but that is taking the wee wee.

Really.

I am insulted by that line up.

You've missed the point then. My fault I think though, sorry...

That is a team of MY favourite players over the years. I did make the point that it wasn't necessarily the best; but the thread title probably threw you to be fair. I should've put Team of Favourites in hindsight.

What would a team of YOUR favourites look like (purely subjective)

On a side note I'd be interested which players have "insulted" you??? Were Hitsty, Shez and Wads actually pants and I'm just remembering it wrong?

Guest Davidowls

Pressman

Nilsson

Swan

Walker

D.Megson

Waddle

Sheridan

Eustace

Finney

Dooley

Hirst

Subs

Springett

Zico

Carbone

Di Canio

Warhurst

Manager: Jack Charlton

Pressman

Nilsson

Swan

Walker

D.Megson

Waddle

Sheridan

Eustace

Finney

Dooley

Hirst

Subs

Springett

Zico

Carbone

Di Canio

Warhurst

Manager: Jack Charlton

ron springett is arguably greatest legend this club as ever had and you make him sub to big kev ......

Guest Davidowls

ron springett is arguably greatest legend this club as ever had and you make him sub to big kev ......

Hes getting on a bit :-) personal preference thats all

Guest JonTheOwl66

- - - - - - - Grant - - - - - - -

Simek - R Wood - Barth? - Spurr

Tudgay - Watson - Miller - Gray

- - - - - Mellor - Varney

Its a shame, i have only been going 2 and a half seasons, the fact this is what i consider the best lineup is shocking

Barf.

Guest Buxtonian

Having seen all the Wednesday keepers since the WW2, I can only say that Ron Springett (don't forget we signed his younger brother, Peter, afterwards) is probably second only to the great Lev Yashin, and then only just! It always used to bring an argument with my Dad, who had seen the 1930's side. Whilst I always shouted for Springett he always used to say 'He's almost as good as Jack Brown.

Manager - Big Ron

can't agree i'd drop bullen and pearson and pick micky lyons (he will roll his sleeves up and do the work of two at the back)...thus allowing you an extra forward up at the business end...and i'd go for willie henderson, as we might find ourselves needing someone to beat half their side on his own (some of them twice) in a space the size of a lounge carpet...

...and when half of his pursuers had bumped into one another, and others were on the arses on the ground, he would be ready to put the pin point cross in...oh! where's chapman???

Edited by dnhc

My first game was back in 1996, so i'll pick from that date onwards and also pick players i clearly remember. This is in no way the team of legends i would pick from all era's.

I'd hardly call this team legends either, probably the best players (in each position) from my time watching Wednesday live.

GK - Kevin Pressman

RB - Frankie Simek

CB - Des Walker

CB - Emerson Thome

LB - Andy Hinchcliffe

DM - Steve Watson

RM - Niclas Alexandersson

LM - Chris Brunt

AM - Benito Carbone

ST - Paolo Di Canio

ST - David Hirst

I've probably missed some out, but these are players i can remember.

Guest 03 owl

There We are.

Nilsson- Walker - Pearson - Irish

Waddle- Shez - Palmer - Di Canio

- - - - - Hirsty - Atkinson - - - -