Sid's attackers up in court today

Sheffield Star

Trial over fracas that left Owls fan in coma

TWO men were involved in football violence which left one Sheffield Wednesday fan fighting for life and in a coma for weeks, a court heard.

Dean Carroll, aged 28, and John Welsh, 22, are accused of being among Hartlepool United fans who clashed with rival Owls supporters in August last year.

Owls fan Kevin Taylor, from Swinton, Rotherham, was knocked unconscious and spent weeks in a coma and fellow supporter Stanley Ryman suffered a broken nose.

Carroll, of Banff Grove, Hartlepool, and Welsh, a serving soldier from Stanmore Grove, Hartlepool, are accused of taking part in a joint attack on Mr Ryman, which left him needing hospital treatment.

They are said to have joined Paul Bennett, 24, of St Oswald’s Street, Hartlepool in attacking Mr Ryman.

Bennett, who has pleaded guilty, was also responsible for punching Mr Taylor to the ground during the incident and will be sentenced at a later date with three other men who admitted affray.

Teeside Crown Court heard violence fared when Wednesday beat Hartlepool United 5-0 at the start of the season.

The attack happened outside the town’s train station when two sets of fans were involved in a stand-off.

Owls fans Kevin Taylor and Stanley Ryman are said to have been left in “no-man’s land” between the two groups of men, who were goading each other.

Jolyon Perks, prosecuting, said: “The Crown say this is a joint assault upon Mr Ryman and nothing less.

“The incident is over in seconds, with Kevin Taylor and Stanley Ryman being left bleeding on the road.”

CCTV of the incident was played to the jury and showed Bennett, Carroll, Welsh and other men quickly leave the scene and going into a bar where some of them had previously been drinking.

More CCTV footage allegedly showed Carroll bragging about his involvement in the violence.

It is alleged the trouble started when a group of Sheffield Wednesday fans were told by Hartlepool supporters to leave a bar where they had been celebrating their team’s victory.

The court was told the incident angered other Wednesday supporters waiting at the train station.

Carroll was arrested the following morning and accepted hitting Mr Ryman but claimed it was accidental when he tried to intervene between him and Bennett.

Welsh was arrested more than a week later at his barracks.

He accepted being present during the disorder but denied being involved in a fight.

The trial continues.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

It was actually Tuesday bud, the Star as always were miles behind.

The CCTV footage I saw was VERY DAMNING.

Guest TRC_OWL

well I live near Hartlepool if I ever see those twats about I'll give them a little nudge................with the car.

you'd just be sinking to their level really though

Sheffield Star

Trial over fracas that left Owls fan in coma

TWO men were involved in football violence which left one Sheffield Wednesday fan fighting for life and in a coma for weeks, a court heard.

Dean Carroll, aged 28, and John Welsh, 22, are accused of being among Hartlepool United fans who clashed with rival Owls supporters in August last year.

Owls fan Kevin Taylor, from Swinton, Rotherham, was knocked unconscious and spent weeks in a coma and fellow supporter Stanley Ryman suffered a broken nose.

Carroll, of Banff Grove, Hartlepool, and Welsh, a serving soldier from Stanmore Grove, Hartlepool, are accused of taking part in a joint attack on Mr Ryman, which left him needing hospital treatment.

They are said to have joined Paul Bennett, 24, of St Oswald’s Street, Hartlepool in attacking Mr Ryman.

Bennett, who has pleaded guilty, was also responsible for punching Mr Taylor to the ground during the incident and will be sentenced at a later date with three other men who admitted affray.

Teeside Crown Court heard violence fared when Wednesday beat Hartlepool United 5-0 at the start of the season.

The attack happened outside the town’s train station when two sets of fans were involved in a stand-off.

Owls fans Kevin Taylor and Stanley Ryman are said to have been left in “no-man’s land” between the two groups of men, who were goading each other.

Jolyon Perks, prosecuting, said: “The Crown say this is a joint assault upon Mr Ryman and nothing less.

“The incident is over in seconds, with Kevin Taylor and Stanley Ryman being left bleeding on the road.”

CCTV of the incident was played to the jury and showed Bennett, Carroll, Welsh and other men quickly leave the scene and going into a bar where some of them had previously been drinking.

More CCTV footage allegedly showed Carroll bragging about his involvement in the violence.

It is alleged the trouble started when a group of Sheffield Wednesday fans were told by Hartlepool supporters to leave a bar where they had been celebrating their team’s victory.

The court was told the incident angered other Wednesday supporters waiting at the train station.

Carroll was arrested the following morning and accepted hitting Mr Ryman but claimed it was accidental when he tried to intervene between him and Bennett.

Welsh was arrested more than a week later at his barracks.

He accepted being present during the disorder but denied being involved in a fight.

The trial continues.

Hopefully when convicted he'll have to serve his sentence in an Army nick which as I understand it is a lot harder than civilian nick

Hopefully when convicted he'll have to serve his sentence in an Army nick which as I understand it is a lot harder than civilian nick

Unfortunatley he'll only serve the time in Colchester if his sentence is less than 2 years. Anything longer is served in a normal civilian nick and then on completetion of the sentence you are discharged form the military. The only thing harder about Military nick is all the PT but you come out the fittest you've ever been.

I do hope the scumbag gets booted out though no place for a pr!ck like that in our job. No excuses for needless mindless violence end of!

Guest gringo69

A public 'Birching' followed by a decent stint in the stocks should suffice.

Anybody up for an amphitheatre in Hillsborough Park?

Guest Manwithastick

We should invite them to Hillsborough on a match day so we can show them some hospitality of our own.

W@nkers like that will get whats coming to them.

that's the same stupid bloody attitude that landed Sid in a coma in the first place. grow up.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

that's the same stupid bloody attitude that landed Sid in a coma in the first place. grow up.

Aye, agreed.

Just hope next weeks game goes without incident, not one of those involved attend games.

Guest North Shields Owl

I missed todays North East news, pity it would have been on.

Completely disgusted that an armed forces person is involved considering the amount of support they are receiving for being the bravest of the brave and one tail lets himself down and the people PROTECTING our very country and poeple.

Would just like to send my support to Sids family who must be enduring hell the second time around and as for Sid, I don't know you although I go to lots of away games, keep on the road of recovery.

Best wishes to all and hope our country's law passes on the rightful custodial sentance.

Respect.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Thankfully the person who attacked Sid had already pleaded guilty which has spared Sids family the trouble of attending court

Thankfully the person who attacked Sid had already pleaded guilty which has spared Sids family the trouble of attending court

Agreed but will unfortunately mean he gets a lighter sentence

Guest BirdonaMaguire

But saved me giving evidence and the same for others and rules out the risk of him getting off