Birmingham City v Sheffield Wednesday

I must say, I'm disappointed with all the criticism of Mellor. Clearly he isn't having the best of times at the moment, but he was getting the ball into feet in some decent positions and bringing others into play, doing all the running down both channels chasing every loose ball.

He wasted two or three good chances today, there's no denying that, but as with any striker, you get better in front of goal with confidence and you don't create that confidence you need by sitting on the bench.

Mellor's well ahead of Morrison in the pecking order for me, but similarly Heffernan and Madine are equally ahead of Mellor right now.

I must say, I'm disappointed with all the criticism of Mellor. Clearly he isn't having the best of times at the moment, but he was getting the ball into feet in some decent positions and bringing others into play, doing all the running down both channels chasing every loose ball.

He wasted two or three good chances today, there's no denying that, but as with any striker, you get better in front of goal with confidence and you don't create that confidence you need by sitting on the bench.

Mellor's well ahead of Morrison in the pecking order for me, but similarly Heffernan and Madine are equally ahead of Mellor right now.

I agree. Criticising becomes a habit.

Good second half. Thought Johnson, Mellor & Teale did OK.

Some positives to take away considering the run we have been on.

Next match:

Weaver

Spurr (Only because Jones is better on the left wing)

Beevers

R. Johnson

Hinds

Jones

Osbourne

Palmer

Teale (Wasn't great today, but I'd still rather have him than Sedgewick)

Madine

Heffernan

poo today:

Reynolds

Mellor

Morrison

O'Connor.

Apart from experience, I'm not sure on what I saw what Clinton brings to the equation - ideally we need someone with pace to play off Madine or Heffernan. If not, I'd go with Madine and Heffernan.

Midfield that we saw second half was encouraging. Teale had an off day, and ideally would prefer more pace down the right.

Defence - improved a lot after Hinds came on. Left back needs sorting and THE RADIATOR needs some coaching on positional play.

Overall, I saw some encouragement today - and although Brum were coasting, we did look like we have the makings of a team.

Clinton plays with the ball with 100% more calm than anyone else, its a confident approach and one I like. The more calm on the ball the more good decisions will be made.

I've not seen Madine play but maybe if he has some legs as well it would work.

THE RADIATOR looked decent hes but a bit raw, a bit the way Djourou used to get criticized the same way, he makes up for poor positional play with power and strength. He has to learn thats not possible at higher levels. But its something he can work on as we grown and progress under Megson, the pointless fouling he will have to do better with for sure. Hinds looked decent. He would be nice to have a JJ or a Miller for the right wing if Teale isn't working. Work in progress for Megson, but the future is not lost yet.

I'd now expect Meggo to use this experience to say to the players "Look, you've not been disgraced today. Now you've had a taste of it, if you want to play against these sort of teams every week, it's there for you, you can do it, all it takes is the same level of committment and endeavour in each and every game you play. If we'd put that effort in in all our games this season, we'd have pissed the league by now. Believe in yourselves and get out there and just do it".

Very encouraging signs today despite the result. Well pleased today. Much better.

I missed the bit where Brum played half their 1st team and still never got out of 2nd gear :dry:

thought the 2nd half showed we might get out of this mess

Hinds Palmer and Osbourne tried to take the game to them and deserve the shirt. Clinton just waves his arms a lot and Mellor is going through a bad patch. Their third goal was a joke. If we'd kept it down to two think we might have got one.

At least when Megson made changes it changed how we played which can't be a bad thing

Birmingham City 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Possession: 59-41

Shots on target: 11-3

Shots off target: 4-7

Corners: 10-4

Fouls: 6-16

Most fouls: Johnson (2) Osbourne (3)

Yellow cards: 1-4

Red cards: 0-0

Weaver, Spurr, M. Morrison (Beevers 46), R. Johnson, Reynolds (Hinds 28), Teale, O'Connor (Palmer 46), Osbourne, Jones, Morrison, Mellor.

Subs not used: Jameson, Heffernan, Potter, Sedgwick.

Unlucky Wednesday.

Well done Birmingham City.