Charlie Tomlinson 1946-51

Guest doddicus

Guest doddicus

Can anybody help

My wifes nan died last year and was an avid Owl, her brother Charlie Tomlinson played for the Owls between 1946-41 and still holds the record for the fastest goal scored by a Wednesday player...if anybody could help I'm after a photograph of Charlie for my wife

Thankyou

Guest Buxtonian

Sorry I cannot help with a photo, but sympathies to your wife. Charlie Tomlinson was in one of the earliest Wednesday sides I ever turned out to watch. Hope she gets her photo.

I'm sure the club must have something in their records, but why not try http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk.They have forums on both the Sheffield Clubs and much other helpful material.

Edited by Buxtonian

scanyz.jpg

Taken from 'The Wednesday Boys' by Jason Dickinson & John Brodie.

This is a fantastic book that chronicles every player to have ever pulled on the blue and white stripes - there's a fair few paragraphs on Charlie as well as career information etc..., and i'd recommend you buy it, if only for the better quality photo!

By the way, about a year ago I compiled a list of all the players to have played for the Owls, in chronological order, and Charlie was the th player to appear in a competitive game for Wednesday.

387 Redfern Froggatt

388 Reg Stewart

389 Hugh Swift

390 Charlie Tomlinson

391 Alex Wands

392 Tommy Ward

393 Tom Gale

Hope this helps.

Kivo, have you ever come across a player called Ian Roath? He's my wifes sort of uncle and he claims to have played for wednesday. Says it was first team but I've never seen his name on your lists or owt. He was telling me about playing at hillsborough but I'm thinking he only mad the reserves. He had a massive brain haemmorage a while ago so isn't fully aware of everything. Be nice to verify his story or not as the case may be.

Kivo, have you ever come across a player called Ian Roath? He's my wifes sort of uncle and he claims to have played for wednesday. Says it was first team but I've never seen his name on your lists or owt. He was telling me about playing at hillsborough but I'm thinking he only mad the reserves. He had a massive brain haemmorage a while ago so isn't fully aware of everything. Be nice to verify his story or not as the case may be.

Sorry, never seen his name.

I've recently been checking up on reserve team goalscorers and not seen his name there either, though if he was a defender he might not have got on the scoresheet too often?

Sorry, never seen his name.

I've recently been checking up on reserve team goalscorers and not seen his name there either, though if he was a defender he might not have got on the scoresheet too often?

From what I remember he was a defender so maybe that would explain it. Next time I see him I'll try and chat to him about it.

When I was a lad in the nineteen fifties, Charlie Tomlinson played for Langwith Miners Welfare in the Central Alliance. He used to fly up the wing like muck off a shovel, and was a great favourite. The gates at that time were between two and three thousand, which wasn't bad for none league football.

Guest doddicus

Thanks to kivo owl and dumboldass...the photo is great and I will definately be buying the book

Why on earth did I put dumboldass...I apologise for my incorrect spelling dumboldowl

Guest doddicus

ProjectOwl anychance of getting intouch...would really love to see some of the photos...the wife was saying earlier she was really surprised her nan hadn't got any of Charlie playing...she had some of him as a kid