Sign in to follow this  
nutty34

Irvine Sacked Today

no outsiders can moan at milan for this decision (if thats what he was worried about) not even howard or the lma

10th in the table, cant even beat a 9 man relegation team

I've been thinking about this all morning... I just don't think we are as great as we all think. I'm not sure we would be able to attract anyone that decent.

We aren't you are right. BUT there is huge potential to this club. As Sturrock once said somebody could make themselves a legend down here.

Guest scott_andrew_william

Balderdash, I have no idea what happened, we were so poor from set pieces, coaching badges my arese.

Arse.

Big Sam, Glenn Hoddle (!!!) and Martin O'Neill

Jesus Christ... Irvine in.

• Disagree 2

Why?

Go on - educate me - why would he be a good replacement??

I think he would be too much of a gamble.

I'm not advocating Hughton as replacement - but i can see it wouldn't be such an illogical choice.

He was a top player for many years at a big club - as well as being a regular 1st choice international - so he passes the ubiquitous "who are yer" test.

He is that beloved "highly rated in the game" - been a 1st team coach and assistant manager in the premier for many years - working with a wide variety of managers and players - and when he took on the managers job he did a very impressive job and handled some infamously difficult players and galvanised a squad that was variously described as talented and poo poo into a formidable team

He added players to the squad sensibly, was recognising of the decent young players and set a system that suited his players - and without putting the fear of hell into his players by bigging up Peterborough to be Brazil - and he got very good results and a very impressive promotion

After being promoted he had his team doing very well in context and continued to play a game that was attractive and effective - his sacking was probably the most ciondemned sacking of a manager i can remember

So as i said - there are plenty of reasons why he would be considered and it would be far from illogical

• Agree 5

I do like Sam but he didn't half talk some gonads during the chelsea commentary on Monday

true, but i see him as a manager that needs a fresh 5 yr challenge at a club with massive potential, great support and an ambitious Chairman

i don't see him as a commentator

Why?

Go on - educate me - why would he be a good replacement??

He's not Irvine.......

Great news if true, and especially if the rumour mill turns out to be true and Trevor Francis is returning to take charge.

:laugh:

:angry:

Admit it. You just made that up didn't you?

Yep.

Trevor is being held hostage in war torn Angola at the moment which is delaying him completing formalities, but as soon as the ransom is paid (they want a Danny Wilson toby jog and dinner with Ken Cooke) then we should be able to seal the deal.

• Disagree 1

Big Sam, Glenn Hoddle (!!!) and Martin O'Neill

Jesus Christ... Irvine in.

:biggrin:

Come on SWFC, how long does it take to write a short statement informing fans.

While i do think Irvine should go im already getting worried about who we will replace him with. The last thing i want is an appointment from within ie SM or HW or even worse an ex player. I would love us to show some proper ambition and go for a big name.

I'm not advocating Hughton as replacement - but i can see it wouldn't be such an illogical choice.

He was a top player for many years at a big club - as well as being a regular 1st choice international - so he passes the ubiquitous "who are yer" test.

He is that beloved "highly rated in the game" - been a 1st team coach and assistant manager in the premier for many years - working with a wide variety of managers and players - and when he took on the managers job he did a very impressive job and handled some infamously difficult players and galvanised a squad that was variously described as talented and poo poo into a formidable team

He added players to the squad sensibly, was recognising of the decent young players and set a system that suited his players - and without putting the fear of hell into his players by bigging up Peterborough to be Brazil - and he got very good results and a very impressive promotion

After being promoted he had his team doing very well in context and continued to play a game that was attractive and effective - his sacking was probably the most ciondemned sacking of a manager i can remember

So as i said - there are plenty of reasons why he would be considered and it would be far from illogical

I actually am pretty ignorant to his background so that's interesting to hear. I don't think he would be a BAD appointment - his success at Newcastle is without question.

I tell you what concerns me - EVERYONE expected Newcastle to fail. Even relative success would have been success there considering how many people expected them to fail. I know that makes his case even stronger but it strikes me as a Roy Keane at Sunderland type of reign. Do you know what I mean?

What concerns me is that Newcastle will have been Hughton's Sunderland and we would be his Ipswich...

Edited by Brownlad

Great news if true, and especially if the rumour mill turns out to be true and Trevor Francis is returning to take charge.

Another stint as player manager? :biggrin:

And the Leicester fans said Mandaric has some kind of link with the Mirror where they tend to be pretty good at getting the scoop at what's happening at his clubs.

Fingers crossed.

Sadly just not up to it - management is not just an academic exercise which reigns supreme and masks failings in other critical aspects of the overall package.

Coaching badges are intended to be complimentary to the other skills required.

Shame and I am sure Irvine forming one part of an inspirational double act would have been succesful but these things never work out retrospectively.

I've said it before but Glenn Hoddle would be a great appointment as will get us playing flowing football and attacking teams. Another plus no compo to any other club.

And he hates the disabled - so there'd be no chance of us signing another Jeffers...

• Agree 3

The owls are not what they seem.

Come on SWFC, how long does it take to write a short statement informing fans.

Surely it's just a case of copying and pasting from Sunday's hoax email......?

• Agree 1

Good summarisation for me. As Brownlad, I am pretty ignorant to his history but I do think that he obviously has a great footballing knowledge and worked with some good coaches and staff during his time at Tottenham and Newcastle.

Also a lot of players at Newcastle seemed to respect him and wanted him to stay there and most voiced their concern at him leaving.

I would definately like to think that he is the best choice out of all the sensible suggestions, but I am not sure we could even manage to get him.