Our Midfield

Bit of a rant after a wasted day.

We all know we need a few midfielders, but today was unbelievable.

We have absolutely no midfield at times, in fairness, it started alright for 15 minutes or so, then we ran out of ideas once they figured out our trusty " pass to the full back " idea.

Harsh as it may sound, for me, Miller, Sedgewick and JOC are just about finished, how can you be a footballer if you can barely move?

Sedgewick's misses were amazing, almost impressive that he managed one of them, and every week the pair in the centre just get rolled over.

The icing on the cake today, was that they were rolled over at times by the likes of Jimmy Smith, this is half the reason we have to play hoofball, to bypass the none existant midfield, and in the first half, thanks to Gary Madine, we just about managed to make it work.

No midfielder comes to ask the defender for the ball, no midfielder goes past the target man to get the flick on, which Madine was always going to win, because they are physically not capable of doing so, this left Morrison to get the flick on and just hold the ball up as normal, but without a runner, whats the point?

Coke returning cant come soon enough but his fitness is always going to be a concern, and it maybe even time to throw Liam Palmer in now, he cant do worse, and he is surely far more mobile than the 3 traffic cones we had in there today.

I know a lot may disagree, feel free to do so, but its going to take some deep pockets for MM to sort out our midfield, it needs some strong, athletic young players in there, urgently, happy for Teale to act as the "old head" but the rest needs a total change, otherwise teams are going to keep running through us, and our defence is going to keep coming under pressure, and conceding goals.

Not a great day out today, again. Needs sorting and fast.

Guest Sheff Owl

Would love to see Palmer given a chance - he can't do any worse.

Like we had been told many times by Preston fans Irvine won't use youth.

The midfield is shocking but Irvine is so flipping stubborn and sticks to his guns by playing players no matter what and not giving others a chance that under him we are flipping going nowhere.

Come on MM please just tell him to flip off.

Guest Saturday Owl

Agreed I think Coke and Palmer/Miller are our best central midfield pairing.

We need to strengthen this window so badly and not bother wasting money on the likes of Lee Hughes.

My midfield for Yeovil would be;

RM- JJ

CM- Coke

CM- Miller

LM- Teale

If were leading by 2 goals with half an hour left shove Liam Palmer on and see what he can do.

Bit of a rant after a wasted day.

We all know we need a few midfielders, but today was unbelievable.

We have absolutely no midfield at times, in fairness, it started alright for 15 minutes or so, then we ran out of ideas once they figured out our trusty " pass to the full back " idea.

Harsh as it may sound, for me, Miller, Sedgewick and JOC are just about finished, how can you be a footballer if you can barely move?

Sedgewick's misses were amazing, almost impressive that he managed one of them, and every week the pair in the centre just get rolled over.

The icing on the cake today, was that they were rolled over at times by the likes of Jimmy Smith, this is half the reason we have to play hoofball, to bypass the none existant midfield, and in the first half, thanks to Gary Madine, we just about managed to make it work.

No midfielder comes to ask the defender for the ball, no midfielder goes past the target man to get the flick on, which Madine was always going to win, because they are physically not capable of doing so, this left Morrison to get the flick on and just hold the ball up as normal, but without a runner, whats the point?

Coke returning cant come soon enough but his fitness is always going to be a concern, and it maybe even time to throw Liam Palmer in now, he cant do worse, and he is surely far more mobile than the 3 traffic cones we had in there today.

I know a lot may disagree, feel free to do so, but its going to take some deep pockets for MM to sort out our midfield, it needs some strong, athletic young players in there, urgently, happy for Teale to act as the "old head" but the rest needs a total change, otherwise teams are going to keep running through us, and our defence is going to keep coming under pressure, and conceding goals.

Not a great day out today, again. Needs sorting and fast.

I agree with every bit of that mate.

Spot on.

Agreed I think Coke and Palmer/Miller are our best central midfield pairing.

We need to strengthen this window so badly and not bother wasting money on the likes of Lee Hughes.

My midfield for Yeovil would be;

RM- JJ

CM- Coke

CM- Miller

LM- Teale

If were leading by 2 goals with half an hour left shove Liam Palmer on and see what he can do.

Agree with most of that apart from maybe a new central midfielder to replace Miller. Having said that I doubt their will be one in for Tuesday.

Guest totemowl

Good OP.

For me the problem with Miller is that he is an attacking midfielder, not the holding midfielder that we seem to need more often than not.

O'Connor can win the ball and so on, but not run the midfield.

Potter can run the midfield, at least on a good day, but he's not got enough presence.

Coke is a good alternative to Miller, an attacking midfielder who can be effective box to box. So it will be good to have him back, then we might start to see some improvement between defence and midfield.

But I'm not going to hold my breadth. imo we need a midfielder who has real presence and can not only influence but change a game. Steve Watson was a good example of what we need.

If there has ever been a worse pairing in central midfield than OConnor and Sedgwick, then i'm bloody glad i wasn't there to see it.

They were horrendous.

Miller at least stands in central midfield when he's playing in central midfield. Unlike O'Connor who runs after the ball like a dog and then looks up and realises we've been done on the counter again and he's 60 yards out of position.

Steve Watson was a good example of what we need.

Agreed,

Dont think we've really had a decent midfield really since we had Whelan/Watson.

Both the type of player we need now, wouldnt that be nice.

Edited by leea8331

Didnt know we had a midfield?

Didnt you see those 3 lost children in the middle of the field after half time?

Well im happy to report they did get reunited with their guardian after the final whistle,

A nice silver haired scottish bloke with a load of badges sewn to his jacket, lovely stuff.

Yep, our central midfield problems are evident for all to see.

It is key area for any team, and because of it we are suffering.

Our ball retention through our central midfield is awful, they are not helping our defenders, nor supporting our strikers, and sure as hell, they are creating very little.

Only thing they seem capable of is playing ball out wide and getting drew out of position.

We need at least two (possibly three) quality central midfielders as soon as possible.

Of current lot I would keep only Coke and Palmer. Thankfully the rest is out of contract in the Summer.

Remarkably similar to how we played under Wilkinson....except it was effective then.

Yep, football moved a bit last 30 years, and now that tactic became easiest to defend against

Edited by malek

It is simply staggering that Irvine still continues with the excuse we have for a midfield. It is so clear that the reason we get turned over so often is that we dont have a bloody midfield. There is now only just over a week of the transfer window left and still no midfielder (according to AI tonight, there are no more signings imminent either)

I would put Palmer in without any hesitation on Tuesday. He is better than anything else we have

Irvine must go

Edited by wakefieldowl

Some good points in this thread, basically sums up everything we lack. Remember when most of us though Jimmy Smith was a terrible loan signing....then we drop below his level. Oh dear.

...and, why not try Palmer? got to be better than JOC.

We need Coke back plus 2 midfield signings badly.