Why another striker?

It seems like all the players we have been linked with (and Irvine has confirmed interest in) are strikers - and what's more, strikers who are either massively controvertial or entirely uninspiring.

Now it seems obvious that for whatever reason Irvine doesn't like Heffernan (even though he has looked lively and performed well every time he has had the opportunity) - but surely Morrison, Mellor, Madine and JJ if necessary are MORE than adequate for our current needs? We should only be picking up another striker if the opportunity is too good to turn down.

From reading Irvine's interview yesterday its clear he blames the players for underperforming rather than examining his own tactics and with club captain Purse leaving out of the blue it seems possible something else is going on behind the scenes...

I think all that abuse aimed at Irvine about playing attacking football has hit him hard. It seems as though he has reacted to this by buying as many strikers as possible as he may believe this will resolve the situation when in fact it is only angering Irvine-haters even more.

Guest Distraught!

Because we have 23 games left of which we are looking at wanting at least 16 or 17 wins. That is a very high percentage but just about possible. It would become more possible if we had a striker that is a nigh on one a game man.

You are talking the same kind of ratio that Kenwyne Jones achieved at Hillsborough in 2005 and Defoe achieved when he was on loan at Bournemouth. Madine is not that prolific and neither is any of the other strikers with have. Mellor has scored a couple of hattricks but we are now in a position where better than that is needed. An impact striker is needed to ignite the promotion push then their job is basically done.

I think that is why Irvine is looking at Lee Hughes. He might be 34 and costing 200k, but promotion is worth a lot more than 200k. And of course there is no guarantee that he could do the job anyway. But any other striker would be the same kind of gamble.

Edited by Distraught!

It is pretty clear the Irvine doesn't fancy Heffernan, there have been many opportunities for him to get a run in the team either through lack of form in the other strikers or injuries, and he hasn't had that chance.

I expect to see Heffernan shipped out on loan before the end of the window and someone else brought in. Thats not what i want to see, Heff should be playing a much bigger role in the team for me.

Guest armchairfan

We need at least another striker as we have 4 at the moment but one is on loan (Mellor) with no Guarantees he'll be here next year regardless of what division we are in. Heffernan may be off either on loan or permanent so that leaves madine and morrison who are on contracts and Johnson at a push could be moved up front but very hit and miss when he plays.

Guest BoomTownOwls

It seems like all the players we have been linked with (and Irvine has confirmed interest in) are strikers - and what's more, strikers who are either massively controvertial or entirely uninspiring.

Now it seems obvious that for whatever reason Irvine doesn't like Heffernan (even though he has looked lively and performed well every time he has had the opportunity) - but surely Morrison, Mellor, Madine and JJ if necessary are MORE than adequate for our current needs? We should only be picking up another striker if the opportunity is too good to turn down.

From reading Irvine's interview yesterday its clear he blames the players for underperforming rather than examining his own tactics and with club captain Purse leaving out of the blue it seems possible something else is going on behind the scenes...

We need another striker in my opinion as the blend of strikers is not right. None of the four have genuine pace. I have to confess to not understanding any move for Lee Hughes as he wouldn't solve that problem. Having said that I will treat press speculation with a pinch of salt until we have actually signed somebody.

Furthermore, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Heffernan moves on either permanently in January or on loan in February. For whatever reason it seems that Irvine just doesn't want to play him.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Surely Irvine should be judged at the end of the transfer window on the signings he actually makes.

Not halfway through the transfer window when everybody is guessing who he may or not sign. For all we know Irvine might be signing 2 centre midfielders.

People seem to be rigidly sticking to Wednesday signing 6 players when MM clearly said a minimum of 6. Furthermore, players leaving increases the chances of more players coming in as Irvine has made it clear that he felt our squad was too small previously.

Because Heff will be going to either Brizzy Rovers or Carlisle this month.

I'm just worried about why we've been linked with zero centre mids in the media.

I think this is an area where we will push the boat out a little,but are waiting on clubs at a higher level to complete there january transfer window activity before they can release players.

Just reading also that a league 1 club has made an offer for porstmouths Richard Hughes,Milan perhaps?

Irvine will clearly be chasing after midfielders. OF COURSE he is ffs!

Just because we've managed to pick up a bunch of good defenders with relative ease, does not mean getting the right midfielder(s) is going to be as straightforward. There's 10 days left to make signings, and loans beyond that are always an option

And while I'd much rather we signed a couple of quality midfielders than another striker, there's no reason we can't have both - and I'll happily take another striker if he's going to bang in goals. Mellor our top scorer only has SIX league goals, it's not like there's no room for improvement...

i reckon with madine coming in, irvine wants pace alongside him, something that morrison, mellor and the heff (to an extent) lack. Still suppose he could put JJ up there?

he might prefer someone with pace who when he's used that pace to beat his man, he delivers a telling ball to one of his team mates in a good scoring position...

Because Heff will be going to either Brizzy Rovers or Carlisle this month.

I'm just worried about why we've been linked with zero centre mids in the media.

We've been signing players in areas where we lack numbers - Madine = 4th strikers. We now have 4 centre backs.

We don't lack numbers in central midfield. Ideally we'd find suckers to take a couple off our hands and then sign a couple.

Not surprised he's still looking at strikers - none of ours have real pace.

Wasn't AI looking at Hughes & Westcarr before we signed Madine?

Edited by camffiti