Sign in to follow this  
oliver666

The 4 new players

Say what you want about Irvine but for me hes done pretty well in the transfer market.

Look at all the players he managed to attract in the summer without spending a penny. I wonder if other managers would have been able to do it.

Now he has a bit of money to spend, Im hoping hes gonna unearth some gems.

Unfortunately I was . Was you? First half performance AS A TEAM was probably the worse I have see all season. I suppose you was one of those brain dead lobbers who were booing our own players. Read my post pal, don't make junvenile comments and expect to get away with it. I don't exactly understand your comment. Why should someone go to a match and look the other way. Question for you. Does this happen alot when you go to matches, personally where I sit in the North for the past 40 years I haven't seen anyone do this. Am I missing something?

Must have been a different game to the one I watched from the South. The first half was not a great performance, and it certainly took the team a time to gell, but bear in mind the number of changes made in the defence from what has been the 'regular' side this season. This type of change will obviously take time to settle in. Add to that the player on whom the side was supposed to rely as the solid centre back, Purse, making two glaring errors in the first 6-7 mins that led to us going 2-0 down, and playing into a very strong breeze ( the flags on the north were almost horizontal). Any other time I would have expected us to do our usual and collapse completely. We didn't. We continued to attack against a side whose main attack weapon was the quick break, and one which they had used very dramatically and effectively for 30 mins. As the match progressed, the two new players started performing as a unit to great effect. They will make a huge impact,especially when we add in the likes of a fit-again Buxton and Otsemebor, we shall see a great tightening of defence, and a far more attack - minded approach. Don't forget that, long overdue imo, praise is being given rightly to Buxton for his imrovement this season. This ia a player who many posters on here would have crucfied him last season.

Whilst regretting the first half display, I for one saw much to give me hope. And, incidently, I used to sit on the North before the cantilever was thought of, so I've seen my share of crap.

2 of the new signings played on Saturday. 2 more signed after the match. Looking at some of the posts on other topics but have made comment regarding these new players, there appears to be a little hysteria creeping in.

I for one haven't really followed any of these new signings and know very little so what baffles me is, if they are a 'breath of fresh air' to the club, what evidence is there to prove they are better than we already have. I didn't see much evidence that the two new comers Johnson and Morrison faired any better than what I have seen this season. We now have a 20 year old striker who appears is signing on a lengthy contract. Is he a proven striker from Carlisle?. Don't know enough about him. Reynolds, the lad from Motherwell. Same again.

I cannot understand what route the club are taking in respect to the new signings. What is paramount is the fact we need to get out of this poo poo hole of a league and to be honest, I can't see what the new signings are bringing to this quest for promotion. Shouldn't we be looking at 'proven' players who have experience in similar situations as we find ourselves in now. I hope the club are not just bringing players in for the sake of it. We have seen this all too much over the past 3/4 seasons.

flippingclown!

You OP had nothing to do with the overall team performance, and everything to do with doubting whether the new signings were better than what we had, or should be what we are signing.

If you had been at Bristol, and watched the game against Charlton you would have seen that Johnson and Morrison are way better CB's than Purse and Beevers. Which is why the guy asked you if you were turned away from the match.

I also see you have played your "40 year TrueFan Card". Bold move Sir, Bold Move. Bravo.

How can you tell by watching two matches that they are better than we already have. Like I said earlier, Buxton has coveniently been forgotton but had more praises than anyone before his injury. On the evidence against CHARLTON which I did watch, neither Morrison or Johnson played any better than some of the performances Buxton has made. So where is your argument. By the way I never mentioned Purse or Beevers. I asked you a question earlier in this thread about Morrison dropping down a level, still waiting for your response. Why mentioning watching Wednesday for 40 years is a bold move. Do you mean actually watching them or mentioning the fact . A bit vague. By the way not really nit picking but Purse was at fault with giving the penalty away, but who should have been covering in that position in the first place instead of being yards up the pitch. Yes I was watching the match.

flippingclown!

Here enters Einstein to the debate. Surprising what a good nights sleep can do for those brain cells.

How can you tell by watching two matches that they are better than we already have. Like I said earlier, Buxton has coveniently been forgotton but had more praises than anyone before his injury. On the evidence against CHARLTON which I did watch, neither Morrison or Johnson played any better than some of the performances Buxton has made. So where is your argument. By the way I never mentioned Purse or Beevers.

Assume we're going for the old one centre back system then? If you're disregarding Purse and Beevers, that is. I like Buxton, but he didn't exactly tear up the Championship last season either. Even if you assume Buxton is better than both, which based on the comparison between performances of Morrison and Buxton in the Championship isn't true, you'd still need a second central defender.

I asked you a question earlier in this thread about Morrison dropping down a level, still waiting for your response.

On the one hand, you want us tto look at players from the division above. On the other hand, when a player is signed from the division above, you make assumptions about his skills despite almost never having seen him play. Make your mind up kid.

Why would he drop down a division? Well, the same reason a theoretical player that you could make up in your head (we'll call him Chris Brunt, BECAUSE THAT'S HIS NAME) would drop down 2 divisions. Opportunity.

Here enters Einstein to the debate. Surprising what a good nights sleep can do for those brain cells.

Never claimed to be Einstein, although I do get the jist of his special theory of relativity!

Glad I annoyed you enough to look at my profile though.

P.S Didn't notice any debate taking place? Just the ramblings of a baffoon. 'Quest for promotion'...'What is paramount' bla bla bla...

I am more than happy with the signings, though we do now seem to have an imbalance of left sided defenders. This will only be a problem though if it effects our ability to bring in the real impact players MM alluded to. We still need a dominating midfield player and a striker with pace who can offer something different. Certainly we needed to strengthen the defence, though I must admit I didn't expect such a major overhaul. These next two players though, will be key, as I believe they will be the ones who will determine whether or not we go up this season or not.

Unfortunately I was . Was you? First half performance AS A TEAM was probably the worse I have see all season. I suppose you was one of those brain dead lobbers who were booing our own players. Read my post pal, don't make junvenile comments and expect to get away with it. I don't exactly understand your comment. Why should someone go to a match and look the other way. Question for you. Does this happen alot when you go to matches, personally where I sit in the North for the past 40 years I haven't seen anyone do this. Am I missing something?

tis called humour mate ... try it one day!!!??? personally (also after 40+ years of watching the owls) there have been many times when i've wanted to look the other way/hide behind a pillow etc !!! :blink: anyhow,i was repsonding to your comment about THE RADIATOR not looking any better than anything we'd already got (most people would disagree with you based on his 2 performances so far) !!!

2 of the new signings played on Saturday. 2 more signed after the match. Looking at some of the posts on other topics but have made comment regarding these new players, there appears to be a little hysteria creeping in.

I for one haven't really followed any of these new signings and know very little so what baffles me is, if they are a 'breath of fresh air' to the club, what evidence is there to prove they are better than we already have. I didn't see much evidence that the two new comers Johnson and Morrison faired any better than what I have seen this season. We now have a 20 year old striker who appears is signing on a lengthy contract. Is he a proven striker from Carlisle?. Don't know enough about him. Reynolds, the lad from Motherwell. Same again.

I cannot understand what route the club are taking in respect to the new signings. What is paramount is the fact we need to get out of this poo poo hole of a league and to be honest, I can't see what the new signings are bringing to this quest for promotion. Shouldn't we be looking at 'proven' players who have experience in similar situations as we find ourselves in now. I hope the club are not just bringing players in for the sake of it. We have seen this all too much over the past 3/4 seasons.

You're entitled to your view. In reality though it's obvious that these guys are better than what we have and the philosophy behind the signings makes perfect sense.

In the summer we signed older, experienced players to try to get us out of this league. Morrison, Teale, Sedgwick etc will have no value at the end of their contracts.

MM isn't a mug. We have plenty of experience in the current squad. Anyone with any common sense knows that signing young up and coming players towards the end of their current contracts and/or from clubs who are struggling financially, for less than their potential value is smart business. Especially if in a couple of years we can sell them on for a big profit and reinvest.

Johnson was captain at Plymouth, has great potential and is clearly better than Purse or Beevers now.

Morrison was a player that Leicester would have preferred to keep but he wanted a move. He looks an assured player and again is better than Purse or Beevers. (Yes Buxton has played well and may still return at right back.)

Reynolds was subject to a £750,000 bid by Rangers and is well regarded. He will certainly be a better defender than Tommy Spurr.

Madine is a player who is different to what we have. Lets see how he settles in.

All in all it's smart business and is the first time in a long time we've been able to play the market to our advantage.