The 4 new players

Guest oliver666

Guest oliver666

Cheer up mate FFS! So far I'd say we've had a massive defensive upgrade, and signed highly promising back up for our perfectly capable strikeforce of Clinton, Mellor & Heff. Not bad by mid-Jan, with more to come

RJ - reputation is he has the raw ingredients to be awesome but is still prone to the odd blunder - so far that looks entirely accurate

Morrison - good solid reputation, very experienced for his age & already been part of a League 1 promotion - so far filling in well at RB but Purse's days are numbered

Reynolds - teams like Newcastle and PSV were tracking him last season, Rangers previously put in £750k bid, very highly regarded by successive Motherwell managers Mark McGee, Craig Brown and Piggy McCall, 160+ appearances and still only 23... we'll see but on paper the best defender we've signed in years

Madine - young, unproven and I know nothing about him. Raw potential and only time will tell - but he offers us something completely different up front and if things work out he could be a monster for us

Now please sign a rock hard bully of a central midfielder and a reliable, quick left winger...

Thank f**k a sensible poster not like the 3 word reply Einsteins. I agree with virtually all of your reply but can I just say this. I'm not down hearted with the signings. My comments were that the majority of these players are not tried and tested in to any great degree.

Take into consideration the Reynolds transfer. If the lad was worth 750k not so long ago, why hasn't he been sold to the likes of Rangers. I understand he might be out of contract at the end of the season but I find it strange why he has been sold to us for a fraction of that amount. We might be just lucky. If and it is a big if, If Buxton and Otsembor hadn't been injured/ suspended wouId the attention be drawn to sign players for the defence. Doubt it. Thought from all the 'voices' on here that our main priority was for a midfield general. Signed 4 players but none are midfielders.

The problem with this site is that posters are forever being misqouted. Look at all the the above posts and if the posters actually read what I put then their responses should be a little different. Going back to your post, where did I say bring in 'old timers' . I said 'experienced'. You also state 'if they re proven' Exactly my point. You have carefully selected the obvious choices of players who havent been performing like Purse & Sedgewick. However I disagree with the two others you have mentioned.

Has anyone forgot Buxton. He has played out ofhis skin at times at both right back and centre back. I suggst to all who have made it quite clear to disagree with my observations, when either of the two who started on Saturday play as consistantly as Buxton before he was injured then yes, we may have found better player(s). It just goes to show how fickle fans are on this forum. How many times was it mentioned that he had been our best player overall with the games he had played in. Unsung f**king hero.

Put your handbag away. I read exactly what you were saying. Perhaps you could enlighten me to these experienced, proven players who aren't old timers and then tell me if their club would be willing to let them go, and then if they were willing how much they would cost?

Experienced proven players in their mid to late 20's would command big fees in my opinion. I would much rather spend 500k on a young and upcoming player with raw potential than the same on 27 to 30 year old with little sell on value. Jeffers?

Surely you must agree that our best signings in the last decade have been Brunt, Whelan, Simek (until his injury), Bougherra, Grant. All young unproven players.

Guest oliver666

Because a changed of manager couldnt guarantee first team football at leicester,they are now at a stage where they are looking at premiership players. Plus MM must of pulled a few strings to get him here. The majority of leicester fans were sorry to see him go.

Must have mis read LGH post. Thought he said he was their first choice defender. Good point in what you are saying about Leicesters strategy of looking a players in a league above. Apart from Morrison, we are signing players at the same level as us if not a bit lower. We ought to be taking a leaf out of Leicesters book then. Didn't I read somewhere that MM policy was to look at Championship players. Then again I might get accused of saying the players we have just brought in are poo because they don't come from the championship or above.

2 of the new signings played on Saturday. 2 more signed after the match. Looking at some of the posts on other topics but have made comment regarding these new players, there appears to be a little hysteria creeping in.

I for one haven't really followed any of these new signings and know very little so what baffles me is, if they are a 'breath of fresh air' to the club, what evidence is there to prove they are better than we already have. I didn't see much evidence that the two new comers Johnson and Morrison faired any better than what I have seen this season. We now have a 20 year old striker who appears is signing on a lengthy contract. Is he a proven striker from Carlisle?. Don't know enough about him. Reynolds, the lad from Motherwell. Same again.

I cannot understand what route the club are taking in respect to the new signings. What is paramount is the fact we need to get out of this poo poo hole of a league and to be honest, I can't see what the new signings are bringing to this quest for promotion. Shouldn't we be looking at 'proven' players who have experience in similar situations as we find ourselves in now. I hope the club are not just bringing players in for the sake of it. We have seen this all too much over the past 3/4 seasons.

Who poo poo on you today? FFS give them a chance! Have to diagree about pretty much everything you said!

Guest Sniper1

2 of the new signings played on Saturday. 2 more signed after the match. Looking at some of the posts on other topics but have made comment regarding these new players, there appears to be a little hysteria creeping in.

Out of the 4 new signings we have seen 2 of them play twice, both of them were very good. Whats wrong with feeling good about it.

I for one haven't really followed any of these new signings and know very little so what baffles me is, if they are a 'breath of fresh air' to the club, what evidence is there to prove they are better than we already have. I didn't see much evidence that the two new comers Johnson and Morrison faired any better than what I have seen this season. We now have a 20 year old striker who appears is signing on a lengthy contract. Is he a proven striker from Carlisle?. Don't know enough about him. Reynolds, the lad from Motherwell. Same again.

Not followed the signings, know very little but you are here having a good moan, seems to be the theme on here.

I cannot understand what route the club are taking in respect to the new signings. What is paramount is the fact we need to get out of this poo poo hole of a league and to be honest, I can't see what the new signings are bringing to this quest for promotion. Shouldn't we be looking at 'proven' players who have experience in similar situations as we find ourselves in now. I hope the club are not just bringing players in for the sake of it. We have seen this all too much over the past 3/4 seasons.

The route in which the club is taking is getting in young players some of them proven in the League above. Im sure some of them will become very important for the long term future of our club, either playing for us through the leagues or selling on for a profit.

You have every reason to be sceptical. :blink:

If only we could back to how we were 3 /4 weeks ago. :angry:

Edited by Sniper1

Guest Saturday Owl

Irvine may be criticized for how he utilises the players but let's face it, he's bloody good in the transfer market.

If Alan gets the boot at the end of the season I would like him to be the head of transfers or something.

Guest oliver666

Put your handbag away. I read exactly what you were saying. Perhaps you could enlighten me to these experienced, proven players who aren't old timers and then tell me if their club would be willing to let them go, and then if they were willing how much they would cost?

Experienced proven players in their mid to late 20's would command big fees in my opinion. I would much rather spend 500k on a young and upcoming player with raw potential than the same on 27 to 30 year old with little sell on value. Jeffers?

Surely you must agree that our best signings in the last decade have been Brunt, Whelan, Simek (until his injury), Bougherra, Grant. All young unproven players.

Hey, I for one don't make an habit of starting personal crusades.Just merely raising an opinion. I agree that the ones you mentioned were very good signings but at least 3 of those endured a fair amount of stick from so call fans during their tenure at S6. I don't know how far you want to go back to use examples but I think you know what I'm going to say in defence to the oldies. Waddle, Francis, Woods, Lyons, the list goes on. All that is telling us, both ways work for different situations. Yes we do have to move on but if people just read what I put in instead of this attack attack attack mentality to the posters who don't often post then whats the point in this forum.

Its not a case of getting the handbags out its about raising a sensible debate. F**k me. Now I've done it. Wrote something sensible. That will have confused one or two of them.

For years and years now, we've signed players who weren't playing for their previous clubs, and/or players who had little opportunity to add resale value.

We've made four signings in the space of two weeks which tick all the boxes fans have been asking for for years. Mandaric is a football man, who understands how the game works. I'm pretty sure he could spend the same amount of money (perhaps a little less) on players who are 28-32 years old, who could get us promoted this season. But where does that leave us in the summer? In 18 months time? It's leaves us with players, who are past their peak, with no value whatsoever, potentially leaving at the end of their contracts.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the odd player who fits into that category. Every team needs experience. And I would suggest, our next midfielder needs to be an experienced, older head.

But, we've signed four players who are nowhere near their "peak age." All the players we've signed, are undoubtedly "better" than the current options. All the recent signings have been regulars in their previous clubs. All those players were chased by others clubs (how many times has it happened previously where we beat other clubs to a signature? Rarely, because we're usually the only bloody team willing to take the useless fookers!), And, all those players have a potential resale value (particularly Reynolds and Morrison).

The signings have been EXACTLY whats required. And full credit to Mandaric for allowing us to bring this quality, and type of players to the club.

For years and years now, we've signed players who weren't playing for their previous clubs, and/or players who had little opportunity to add resale value.

We've made four signings in the space of two weeks which tick all the boxes fans have been asking for for years. Mandaric is a football man, who understands how the game works. I'm pretty sure he could spend the same amount of money (perhaps a little less) on players who are 28-32 years old, who could get us promoted this season. But where does that leave us in the summer? In 18 months time? It's leaves us with players, who are past their peak, with no value whatsoever, potentially leaving at the end of their contracts.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the odd player who fits into that category. Every team needs experience. And I would suggest, our next midfielder needs to be an experienced, older head.

But, we've signed four players who are nowhere near their "peak age." All the players we've signed, are undoubtedly "better" than the current options. All the recent signings have been regulars in their previous clubs. All those players were chased by others clubs (how many times has it happened previously where we beat other clubs to a signature? Rarely, because we're usually the only bloody team willing to take the useless fookers!), And, all those players have a potential resale value (particularly Reynolds and Morrison).

The signings have been EXACTLY whats required. And full credit to Mandaric for allowing us to bring this quality, and type of players to the club.

Great points, I totally agree with all that and i for one really cant wait to see who the next ones into the club will be.

My sentiments exactly. :happy:

Very good analysis there Fras.

Guest Sniper1

Nice one.

Just make the list of young players in their 20's that we might be able to bring in, and those that are good enough for club like ours.

I guess there aren't many.

In my opinion Madine is a well calculated gamble.

I'm 100% behind our decision to spend good money on him based on what i've seen of him so far.

Cheer up mate FFS! So far I'd say we've had a massive defensive upgrade, and signed highly promising back up for our perfectly capable strikeforce of Clinton, Mellor & Heff. Not bad by mid-Jan, with more to come

RJ - reputation is he has the raw ingredients to be awesome but is still prone to the odd blunder - so far that looks entirely accurate

Morrison - good solid reputation, very experienced for his age & already been part of a League 1 promotion - so far filling in well at RB but Purse's days are numbered

Reynolds - teams like Newcastle and PSV were tracking him last season, Rangers previously put in £750k bid, very highly regarded by successive Motherwell managers Mark McGee, Craig Brown and Piggy McCall, 160+ appearances and still only 23... we'll see but on paper the best defender we've signed in years

Madine - young, unproven and I know nothing about him. Raw potential and only time will tell - but he offers us something completely different up front and if things work out he could be a monster for us

Now please sign a rock hard bully of a central midfielder and a reliable, quick left winger...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

This.

I for one haven't really followed any of these new signings and know very little so what baffles me is, if they are a 'breath of fresh air' to the club, what evidence is there to prove they are better than we already have. I didn't see much evidence that the two new comers Johnson and Morrison faired any better than what I have seen this season.

question for you...... were you actually facing the pitch on saturday???

I am more than happy with the new signings. Both Morrison and Reynolds have already been successful at a higher level than we are currently at (and yes, the SPL is better than League 1). Johnson has been impressive in both his appearances so far - certainly more assured than Beevers has been for a long time. I do have reservations about Madine, but he has the physical characteristics to be an excellent player, so he is as Malek says, a calculated risk. Whether Irvine can get the best out of them is another matter; the team we have now is full of just the sort of experienced players that the original poster was looking for and should already be more than capable of getting us out of this division.

Guest oliver666

question for you...... were you actually facing the pitch on saturday???

Unfortunately I was . Was you? First half performance AS A TEAM was probably the worse I have see all season. I suppose you was one of those brain dead lobbers who were booing our own players. Read my post pal, don't make junvenile comments and expect to get away with it. I don't exactly understand your comment. Why should someone go to a match and look the other way. Question for you. Does this happen alot when you go to matches, personally where I sit in the North for the past 40 years I haven't seen anyone do this. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately I was . Was you? First half performance AS A TEAM was probably the worse I have see all season. I suppose you was one of those brain dead lobbers who were booing our own players. Read my post pal, don't make junvenile comments and expect to get away with it. I don't exactly understand your comment. Why should someone go to a match and look the other way. Question for you. Does this happen alot when you go to matches, personally where I sit in the North for the past 40 years I haven't seen anyone do this. Am I missing something?

You OP had nothing to do with the overall team performance, and everything to do with doubting whether the new signings were better than what we had, or should be what we are signing.

If you had been at Bristol, and watched the game against Charlton you would have seen that Johnson and Morrison are way better CB's than Purse and Beevers. Which is why the guy asked you if you were turned away from the match.

I also see you have played your "40 year TrueFan Card". Bold move Sir, Bold Move. Bravo.