Defunct Grounds

was that the game we lost 3-2? when there was trouble all the way throught the match.

That's the one!

We made it eventually, and after the match I got battered on the way back to the car! Entirely my own fault, I was decked from head to foot in Blue and White and had a Wednesday flag wrapped round my shoulders at the time. Unfortunately the car was parked behind Bradford's home end! My mates weren't wearing any colours and were untouched.

Ah well, you live and learn!

That's the one!

We made it eventually, and after the match I got battered on the way back to the car! Entirely my own fault, I was decked from head to foot in Blue and White and had a Wednesday flag wrapped round my shoulders at the time. Unfortunately the car was parked behind Bradford's home end! My mates weren't wearing any colours and were untouched.

Ah well, you live and learn!

i went with my dad and brother and was only about 10 at the time and had my wednesday shirt on under my jacket, we got to the ground and the away end was full so we had to go on the terrace at the side of the wednesday fans. i just remember bricks being thrown by both fans at each other.

we left at half time when they were 3-1 down when my shirts was spotted by one of the bradford fans. me and my brother had a very nervous wait by the car until my dad got back as we had got separated in the ground.

Guest goalthirstyhirsty

When totting up your grounds do the old ones count or not?- my mate says they do-however i dont- what do other people think?

I've been to just about the lot.

Saddest loss was Park Avenue, Bradford. Best ground in the city at the time. I saw Avenue draw 1-1 with Notts County in 1968.

All those who think a Sheffield merger would sort Sheffield's problems should note that Bradford City didn't suddenly draw an extra 5,000 when Brad Park Avenue went under.

Best ground to hit the dust must be Highbury. Was at 1983 semi against Brighton with over 60,000 54,000 others. Two atmospheric 1930's double-decker stands along the touchlines.

Off the top of my head

Ayresome Park

Belle View

Burnden Park

Boothferry Park

The Dell

The Den (old)

Filbert Street

Highbury

Highfield Road

Maine Road

Millmoor

National Hockey Stadium

Ninian Park

Saltergate

Wembley (old)

Somehow I managed to avoid ever going to the Baseball Ground or Layer Road

I wonder which stand has had the shortest life in English football. The North Bank at Highbury lasted just 13 years, and Man City's Kippax Stand lasted only 8 years. Seems a waste, considering how much money would've been poured into building them.

Ddidn't Leicester build a new stand at Filbert Street shortly before they left and went to the Walkers?

Looked a really good stand as well

Ddidn't Leicester build a new stand at Filbert Street shortly before they left and went to the Walkers?

Looked a really good stand as well

From what I can tell, the last stand built at Filbert Street lasted for 9 years before they relocated, so not quite as young as the Kippax.

Wow was it 9 years?

Old memory is playing tricks again - don't think it was anywhere near that old

It's just what I read on here. I suppose they could've built a newer one, but I expect they'd have mentioned it in the text. I never got to see a game at Filbert Street so I don't know myself.