OK, now it's time

Guest Burnleyfan

I'll see your Jeffers, O'Connor and Purse and raise you a Leon Cort (£1.5m, 3 year contract and bombed out to PNE on loan 8 months later).

Seriously, does James O'C divide opinion like he used to at Turf Moor or is he universally disliked? He'd run all day whilst with us, but rarely seemed to touch the ball.

JOC has an annoying habit of clapping his team mates when we go a goal down ! :mad:

Guest Burnleyfan

I do miss Laws's 62nd minute like for like substitutions. I used to look like a psychic when watching games with the lads and predicting who and when the substitutions would be made. :rolleyes:

Does same with us. Rarely makes substitution until 60-65 mins and then always like for like. Steven Thompson comes on in almost every game, as the second sub, usually about 70-75 mins in. He's a target man and nearly always comes on for another target man (iwelumo). The shape or style rarely changes, just the name.

That said, I hear you lot played a bit of football under Laws. It's pretty direct with us. Lee Grant often gets it all the way to the oppo goalkeeper. It really is impressive.

Guest Saturday Owl

I'll see your Jeffers, O'Connor and Purse and raise you a Leon Cort (£1.5m, 3 year contract and bombed out to PNE on loan 8 months later).

Seriously, does James O'C divide opinion like he used to at Turf Moor or is he universally disliked? He'd run all day whilst with us, but rarely seemed to touch the ball.

Divides opinion, some like his work rate and passion but in truth he offered very little last season.

I believe he's found his level now he's gone past 30, looks much more composed down in League One, but still doesn't cut it when our midfield is fully fit.

Laws did OK with us until last season when things fell apart, but your statement is incorrect.

From when Laws came in on November 11th 2006 until Bougherra was sold on January 28th 2007, the results (with the best team we've had in about 10 years) were as follows:

Played: 15

Won: 6

Drawn: 3

Lost: 6

We weren't 'cruising into the playoffs' at all- 6 wins out of 15 games is mid-table form.

The problem with Laws was that the longer he spent with the team, the worse things got- he inherited some very good players and the more he 'left his mark' on the squad, the weaker and weaker we became. He wasn't a disaster but he was an average manager who got found out as time went on.

I don't want to wade into the debate defending Laws. As far as I'm concerned he was a very erratic manager, some relative highs but some considerable lows as well. Maybe the wins against United clouded over some of the bad points to an extent. What I want to say though is about the stats regarding Bougherra. Most of those 6 defeats came in January, before he was sold at the end of the month. He played against Derby that month but it was in January he said he wasn't going to play for us anymore, coinciding with the winless run.

As I remember it we beat Barnsley 3-0 at the end of December and were right in touch with the playoffs and then when January came about the defeats came as did the Bougherra episode.

Guest Big Guns

Now you mention it, yes he does!

For some, he's player of the year. For others he's a figure of ridicule.

Strange that!

joc waste of a shirt

Guest Saturday Owl

Does same with us. Rarely makes substitution until 60-65 mins and then always like for like. Steven Thompson comes on in almost every game, as the second sub, usually about 70-75 mins in. He's a target man and nearly always comes on for another target man (iwelumo). The shape or style rarely changes, just the name.

That said, I hear you lot played a bit of football under Laws. It's pretty direct with us. Lee Grant often gets it all the way to the oppo goalkeeper. It really is impressive.

I promise you this, you have the best keeper in the Championship in Lee Grant you got him for a steal.

How are your fans reacting to him?

I went to the Barnsley v Burnley match on Boxing Day (just fancied going to a match) and did hear "You're getting sacked in the morning" and "Laws out" after they conceded along with some booing. It was funny to see at half time as BL made his way to the tunnel a few Burnley fans were making their way to the corner of the stand to give him some stick! Didnt see the "Laws out" flag until I saw it on the football league show.

For what it's worth they were 2 poor sides and Grant didnt really have anything to do other than 1 good save and the goal. Typical Laws team, only played for half a match, first half was poor but Burnley could have won by more at the end. It was nice to be sat with a load of moaning Barnsley fans, it made me smile how quiet they were, absolutely no atmosphere from them at all!

Guest Burnleyfan

Grant's done ok to date, although he took some time to break into the side.

However, like all of Laws signings, quite a few fans have taken against them for no reason other than the person who brought them in.

that's him...

Guest Big Guns

He didn't resign he got sacked.

OWLSTALK - SORTED THE SACKING FOR BURNLEYFAN.

why cant we sort it to get irvine sacked flip me weve tried.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Failed at Wednesday, failed at Burnley.

I hope he ends up at the Lane. His record of leaving teams in worse positions would mean surefire relegation for the Blunts. I was shocked when you gave Laws the job. Never a Premier League manager in a million years.

Wow....some of our fans!

Delivered the best football in years and the highest finish in years and he failed? Staggering..gobsmacked...

He lost it at the end but he was forced to sell our gems. With what was left, which manager wouldn't have struggled?

Madness.

Edited by Darkus Owlus