David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson

I had some sort of food poinsoning for that match and was at the back of the kop and before hirst scored I threw up then we shuffled away and everyone was slipping in it.

That is all

Longley Owl, Wednesday Legend. :biggrin:

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Wasn't it the one that got us a draw against Everton when he came on as a late sub? I think it was the first game with the roof on the Kop.

I'm not sure, my memory has got more holes in it than our back four on a christmas sortie to Exeter.

Disclaimer, I didn't actually go to this game so I can't be certain that our back four was poo , I'm just basing my judgement on the score, opposition and knowledge of watching our backfour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this Hirsty's first goal for Wednesday?

The commentary is brilliant, "even Howard Wilkinson has got a smile on his face" :laugh:

As it was the last minute we were stood by the South Kop exit which put us dead in line with the shot when he let it go. The TV doesnt do justice to the amount of swerve on the ball. Hit with the outside of the boot, when it set off it looked like it was coming over for a throw in before it bent into the top corner which is why Bailey in goal didnt move.

Who was the 10 who took the corner?

David Hirst played in an age when defenders were little more than thugs. I've seen Hirst have lumps kicked out of him from the likes of Tony Adams, Steve Bould, Steve Bruce etc. Players like Drogba and Torres don't face anything like the punishment that Hirsty faced.

If Hirsty was playing in today's football, where defenders can't tackle, he would have been even better. If Drogba and the like were playing against Tony Adams and the like, they wouldn't have been half as good.

The player I would have back from that team above all others, in a heartbeat, is Palmer.

Palmer in his pomp was a magnificent player - he could dominate an entire opposition team as he seemed to be absolutely everywhere on the pitch.

Was the start of our decline when we never replaced Palmer. Taylor would have done a good job but we swapped him and for Whittingham and a million quid.