David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson

Guest Big Guns

Little Paul Williams,

Yes, him and Danny Wilson (and then Graham Hyde) were my favourites alongside Palmer for their sheer work rate.

I remember a cheeky back heel goal Paul Williams scored, and was gutted when we swapped him plus cash for Mark Bright.

yes williams was class but Brighty did well 4 us also probley the last real quality striker weve had.

Guest Woz1867

IMO David Hirst was one of the best English strikers to ever have played the game. Injuries aside, he was fkin awesome.

I feel sorry for the younger generation who never had the chance to see him tear up defenders.

Even today I still cant work out if its Hirsty or the Waddler who is my all time favourite Wednesday player, a tough choice.

IMO David Hirst was one of the best English strikers to ever have played the game. Injuries aside, he was fkin awesome.

I feel sorry for the younger generation who never had the chance to see him tear up defenders.

Even today I still cant work out if its Hirsty or the Waddler who is my all time favourite Wednesday player, a tough choice.

The younger generation just havent been given the chance to see wonderful players like Hirsty at Hillsborough. My all time favourite? Its a tough call but i still think its Zico Sterland, Waddle or Hirsty

He wasn't one of the best English strikers to ever play the game, but was certainly (for 4 years between 89 and 93) in the same bracket as the top strikers around at the time - Ferdinand, Shearer, Wright, Smith, Hughes.

Guest international owl

Awesome, remember being stood at the back of the kop near the blue box for that game, awesome days when hillsborough really had an atmosphere, completely different to these days. Hirsty makes our current strikers look a wee bit average!!!! How awesome would it be to be playing the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U etc etc at hillsborough again!!! We can but dream, Exeter next year again me thinks!!!!

Still dont understand how we went down that season with the calibre of player's we had!

My memory is a bit hazy (plus I was only ten years old), but after a good middle part of the season, didn't Shezza get injured near to the end and we suddenly started losing with him out of action?

Guest Triplej2

It looks like we were playing an entirely different sport back then, big sweeping passes into acres of space on the wing, players marauding forward in waves ready to receive it or pick up the loose ball, regular goals from outside the box, chips, volley's, overhead kicks, the lot!

What have we become?? :Dark Sad:

The younger generation just havent been given the chance to see wonderful players like Hirsty at Hillsborough. My all time favourite? Its a tough call but i still think its Zico Sterland, Waddle or Hirsty

My top 3 are :-

Waddle

Hirst

Nilsson

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this Hirsty's first goal for Wednesday?

The commentary is brilliant, "even Howard Wilkinson has got a smile on his face" :laugh:

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.