Penistone Owls

Guest Millhouse Green Owl

Guest Millhouse Green Owl

Do Wednesday fans in Penistone (Cubley, Millhouse Green, Oxpring, Thurlstone) ever meet up for games and a few beers?

Do Wednesday fans in Penistone (Cubley, Millhouse Green, Oxpring, Thurlstone) ever meet up for games and a few beers?

I,m an older owl originally from Oxspring. In the late 60s and thru the 70,s we always met in the Spread Eagle, Penistone every monday night. We ran coaches to every home and away match. There were probably about 50 or so regulars and we could double that when successfull. wednesday had the biggest following in that area with about 75% of football fans. The rest were split between Huddersfield, Man Utd and the Blunts. Very few supported Barnsley. I understand that has now changed since the idiots in local council chnaged the Sheffield boundaries and shoved all the above areas + Stcoksbridge and Deepcar under the Barnsley Council. It used to be pure hatred between the Penistone Owls and the reds of Barnsley and I can remember regular mob fights in the Penistone town centre around that time. Don't know the answer to your question as I now live in sunny Grenoside however at least you got a bit of history.

Edited by Paul Webster

I,m an older owl originally from Oxspring. In the late 60s and thru the 70,s we always met in the Spread Eagle, Penistone every monday night. We ran coaches to every home and away match. There were probably about 50 or so regulars and we could double that when successfull. wednesday had the biggest following in that area with about 75% of football fans. The rest were split between Huddersfield, Man Utd and the Blunts. Very few supported Barnsley. I understand that has now changed since the idiots in local council chnaged the Sheffield boundaries and shoved all the above areas + Stcoksbridge and Deepcar under the Barnsley Council. It used to be pure hatred between the Penistone Owls and the reds of Barnsley and I can remember regular mob fights in the Penistone town centre around that time. Don't know the answer to your question as I now live in sunny Grenoside however at least you got a bit of history.

Thank fuck that's untrue.

Thank fuck that's untrue.

Thats my understanding anyway. Which bits are you saying is untrue, The idiots bit or where the boundaries now are? If its the boundaries I know from where I live at Grenoside go two mile through the woods towards Wortley and you're in Barnsley council area.

Stocksbridge is still under Sheffield as is Deepcar. Penistone and surrounding villages are Barnsley.

http://www.stocksbridge-council.co.uk/

Some in Penistone have a problem with that - being as distant as they are from Sheffield, Barnsley, or Huddersfield I suspect they feel they should be left on their own - a local town for local people should we say...

Thats my understanding anyway. Which bits are you saying is untrue, The idiots bit or where the boundaries now are? If its the boundaries I know from where I live at Grenoside go two mile through the woods towards Wortley and you're in Barnsley council area.

I live in Deepcar. We are most definitely still in Sheffield.

I live in Deepcar. We are most definitely still in Sheffield.

Good on yer. I honestly was under the impression you had all been put under the Barnsley hat. There were definetly murmurings along those lines many years back. Glad its not happened to Stocksbridge and Deepcar it would have been an outrage.