Laws & Irvine

Laws did a reasonable job, but he had to go and, frankly, should have gone earlier than he did.

Produced some decent football at times and the run at the play offs was great to watch.

Laws biggest problem was inconsistency.

We'd win one or two, then follow it up with two defeats.

Laws was from perfect, but there was some memorable moments.

As for Irvine, well I'm not a fan.

I feel that his approach ultimately sealed relegation, regardless of the "it wasn't his team" argument.

He's made some excellent signings this year, however, he doesn't appear to play to their strengths.

If that's the depth of your analysis, I'm wasting my time.

:dry:

Thats the problem though, over analysing by everyone!!!!!! Breaking down each game and result and looking for negatives!

As on Owl only two things bother me, these two screens...

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10304,00.html

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10304~20101016,00.html

Thats how i will judge Irvine as a Manager, im not sure about the guy but i genuinely think building a team from the back is the best way.

Laws did a reasonable job, but he had to go and, frankly, should have gone earlier than he did.

Produced some decent football at times and the run at the play offs was great to watch.

Laws biggest problem was inconsistency.

We'd win one or two, then follow it up with two defeats.

Laws was from perfect, but there was some memorable moments.

As for Irvine, well I'm not a fan.

I feel that his approach ultimately sealed relegation, regardless of the "it wasn't his team" argument.

He's made some excellent signings this year, however, he doesn't appear to play to their strengths.

That was Laws all over, 9th, 16th, 12th and 24th, some massive mistakes we're made over tactics, shape, attitude and general style of play last summer and it sealed his fate.

Everybody that has ever managed a team has wasted money - it comes with the territory

mcmigo's point is that Laws delivered decent performances/positions despite having a positive transfer balance and one of the lowest working budgets

It's not the horror show some make out and i suspect some of the support for Mr Irvine is some people trying to justify their ridicule of Laws

Indeed....it happens.

However the idea is that you 'take the good with the bad' as signing a player is always a gamble.

What were the 'good' Laws signings? Just an opinion, but for me he decimated our squad, and aside from Grant, and maybe Steve Watson at a push, Laws didn't sign anyone who was better or even equal to the players who left under him.

I would agree that Laws (for 2 years anyway) did a lot better than could be expected given the budget he had to work with. But you can't get away from the fact that the more Laws 'left his mark' on the squad, the worse things got on the pitch.

Indeed....it happens.

However the idea is that you 'take the good with the bad' as signing a player is always a gamble.

What were the 'good' Laws signings? Just an opinion, but for me he decimated our squad, and aside from Grant, and maybe Steve Watson at a push, Laws didn't sign anyone who was better or even equal to the players who left under him.

I would agree that Laws (for 2 years anyway) did a lot better than could be expected given the budget he had to work with. But you can't get away from the fact that the more Laws 'left his mark' on the squad, the worse things got on the pitch.

Johnson - despite being bloody frustrating - was a decent signing.

Thats the problem though, over analysing by everyone!!!!!! Breaking down each game and result and looking for negatives!

We don't need to over-analyse. The shortcomings are shouting out at us pretty much every single game for crying out loud. We've played a couple of League Two teams and should have lost to both of them. At the moment we are enjoying the plus side of the knife edge game of chance we are playing. But it will only take a tiny shift in fortune to change things dramatically, as we saw a few weeks ago.

And I can all but guarantee that should that happen (and don't claim I want it to), the issues a number of us have been repeating for weeks will be the ones blamed.

I am absolutely convinced our manager is holding us back. Why should I be happy that we're 4th when it seems to me we should be 1st?

Indeed....it happens.

and you can argue the squad that he left was poorer than the one he inherited (although obviously some were sold against his wishes). I just know id rather be playing like we are now and winning games 1-0, 2-0 than playing the opposition off the park and losing 2-1 or drawing 3-3!!

Guest Distraught!

and you can argue the squad that he left was poorer than the one he inherited (although obviously some were sold against his wishes). I just know id rather be playing like we are now and winning games 1-0, 2-0 than playing the opposition off the park and losing 2-1 or drawing 3-3!!

Had we been able to do this for just one or two games more after the honeymoon 5 wins from 7 last season, we would not now be playing the likes of Yeovil, Rochdale, Exeter, Dagenham & Redbridge and Notts County.

Beating spaff teams like these 1-0 based solely on the oppositions' inability to convert chances does nothing to convince me Mr Irvine is anything more than yet another average nothingness Wednesday manager.

However, his tactics got us where we are now, I think it's his duty to get us back to where we were i.e. CCC.