Laws & Irvine

We won. Away from home. With ten men. Our fans expectations are rumbleing ridiculous. Irvine over laws every time

You read my mind mate. Spot on

Guest totemowl

Irvine's team goes away, at Championship level, it isn't pretty to watch, but can't defend, attack, create, chances, score, or get any points...

That was Laws' team actually...

Laws team goes away, plenty of goals and entertainment, but cant defend and end up with a point. (how many times did that happen?)

Irvine's team goes away, it isnt pretty to watch, but another clean sheet and 3 points

I know which Manager id prefer......

Great post. I want to watch Wednesday in the Championship and then the Premiership - we will never get there if we play the open mindless way in which Irvine just won't allow.

I can't remember a Wednesday team that won when we played poorly. Imagine the results when the squad 'clicks'.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Laughable thread.

So you're comparing a manager that helped get us to League one, with one that delivered us 9th in the Championship, playing some of the best football we'd had in years?

Laws fooked up at the end, but when you sell Bougherra, Brunt, Whelan, Wood and co, what the flip is he ment to do to prevent those players losses becoming a decline? Once that core of players had gone, Laws' days were numbered - as would any other managers.

If Irvine had gone for the jugular in our relegation fight just for a few games, we might have survived.

Laughable thread.

So you're comparing a manager that helped get us to League one, with one that delivered us 9th in the Championship, playing some of the best football we'd had in years?

Laws fooked up at the end, but when you sell Bougherra, Brunt, Whelan, Wood and co, what the flip is he ment to do to prevent those players losses becoming a decline? Once that core of players had gone, Laws' days were numbered - as would any other managers.

If Irvine had gone for the jugular in our relegation fight just for a few games, we might have survived.

To be fair, what Laws got given from the sales of the players you've mentioned he absolutely wasted- Turner was a poo poo manager but at least he could spot a player.

We had our chance to get back into the Premiership under Laws- momentum was going our away, he signed plenty of players and they were pretty much all poo poo bar Lee Grant.

Laws wasn't as bad as people will remember him being, but the fact was he wasted a shed load of money (in wages i mean) and took us from being a lower-mid table side under Sturrock, to leaving us on the brink of relegation with a squad made up of a mixture of crocks and poo .

The post 3 or 4 above says it all- under Laws fans only wanted wins. Now Irvine is winning ugly, we want to watch SWFC play like Arsenal. 4 consecutive clean sheets and now up to 4th in the table and won the last 4 games in a row. His obsession with playing JoC and Potter together is frustrating, but he's winning games, which is ultimately how managers are judged.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

I think we are all shi11ing ourselves because the way we have played recently for parts of matches has been so very very bad.

at both ends of the pitch, JOC putting the ball out from a corner played short to him. Potter giving the O's the ball on the edge of the area spring to mind and we are thinking WTF is going to happen when we play a team with some strikers and clinincal finishers

tbh i have felt like this every game i have watched at hillsborough this season, Daggenham had some moments where we looked the worser side.

Bury smashed us. We never looked comfortable against Brighton (do not care if they are top of the league now)

Leyton were all over us and Chesterfield embarrassed us.

but, we won these games. so maybe everything is fine!!!

When are people going to realise, the best defensive play is the kind of play which retains possesion.

You can't retain possession when the ball is getting hoofed up and more then 50% of the time it is hitting our forwards and falling to an opposing player.

To retain possesion, you need players who can pass a ball to a man in space whilst under pressure, something most of our players seem devoid of being able to do. I don't know if they are actually that inept, or if the tactics they are being given is hoofball or not. Something isn't right though, the players we have should not be playing the kind of football we are playing.

Yes, if Laws was in charge of the current squad, it would let more goals in, but the likes of Morrison and Teale would be doing to this league exactly what we all thought they would be doing by now.

I love this theory of all the money Laws 'wasted'.

BL had the biggest positive transfer balance of any manager in our history.

Laws averaged 12th in the CCC in his time at SWFC despite having pretty much the lowest wage bill in the league. Excellent performance.

Laws averaged 12th in the CCC in his time at SWFC despite having pretty much the lowest wage bill in the league. Excellent performance.

Would love to compare your positive transfer balance to wages spent though. Would possibly not look quite so appealing.

That's one thing Irvine certainly won't have the benefit of though, hasn't he just increased our wage bill from last season?

Edited by salmonbones

Would love to compare your positive transfer balance to wages spent though. Would possibly not look quite so appealing.

Our wage bill was 3.5 million in 06/07, 4 million 07/08 and 08/09, and 5.5 million 09/10

The first three years put us in the bottom 3 of wage payers in the division, the latter year around 18th.

Hence why the Deloitte report that Burnley commissioned put BL top of the CCC in wages vs performance over the 3 yrs before he was appointed Burnley manager.

So if anything it looks more appealing.

Guest totemowl

Our wage bill was 3.5 million in 06/07, 4 million 07/08 and 08/09, and 5.5 million 09/10

The first three years put us in the bottom 3 of wage payers in the division, the latter year around 18th.

Hence why the Deloitte report that Burnley commissioned put BL top of the CCC in wages vs performance over the 3 yrs before he was appointed Burnley manager.

So if anything it looks more appealing.

I know it was projected to be £5.5 million, but wasn't it recently identified as £4.5 million?

I don't see your point tbh.

Just because we had a positive bank balance under his tenure, it doesn't mean he didn't waste money.

If a man sells something for £10, banks £8 and then spends £2 on 'magic beans', he's still wasted £2 hasn't he.

The bottom line (regardless of players sold) is that Laws had plenty of money (Sodje-300k, Jeffers-750k, Esajas- 300k, Potter- 250k, Lewis Buxton- nominal, about 13 or 14k a week in wages for Miller and Purse, 350k for JJ just off the top of my head.) to spend, and aside from Lee Grant, he absolutely spaffed it up the wall.

This 'poor old Brian' stuff doesn't wash with me- he had a difficult job granted, and the Derby double will live long in the memory, but basically, when it came to actually building his own team with his own signings, he absolutely failed massively. I expect to see a similar trend at Burnley if he actually lasts long enough to build his own squad.

You know, what makes me feel even better is that we're winning games and keeping clean sheets without actually playing that well!!! Thats ALWAYS the sign of a good side! We're still gelling and i believe we'll actually get better as the season goes on.

I lost count of the number of times that we played well under Laws last season and lost!!! Get fed up of it in the end, im glad we're winning games, thats ALL im bothered about

Just because we had a positive bank balance under his tenure, it doesn't mean he didn't waste money.

If a man sells something for £10, banks £8 and then spends £2 on 'magic beans', he's still wasted £2 hasn't he.

The bottom line (regardless of players sold) is that Laws had plenty of money (Sodje-300k, Jeffers-750k, Esajas- 300k, Potter- 250k, Lewis Buxton- nominal, about 13 or 14k a week in wages for Miller and Purse, 350k for JJ just off the top of my head.) to spend, and aside from Lee Grant, he absolutely spaffed it up the wall.

This 'poor old Brian' stuff doesn't wash with me- he had a difficult job granted, and the Derby double will live long in the memory, but basically, when it came to actually building his own team with his own signings, he absolutely failed massively. I expect to see a similar trend at Burnley if he actually lasts long enough to build his own squad.

Read his Manager notes on the Burnley website, you could use that for about 20 of our games last season!!

Everybody that has ever managed a team has wasted money - it comes with the territory

mcmigo's point is that Laws delivered decent performances/positions despite having a positive transfer balance and one of the lowest working budgets

It's not the horror show some make out and i suspect some of the support for Mr Irvine is some people trying to justify their ridicule of Laws