GO, OR STAY

Definite stay - for once we're winning matches, and if the football's scrappy, I'll rather take poor wins over great defeats - we're in the mire enough as it is, so I'm happy with some sporting success for once.

Under Irvine at least we've gone through on penalties in a match for the first time in ages, so that's an improvement too. :biggrin:

TTG

I'd be interested in hearing from those who want him to stay, a) what do you think he's done/isdoing to merit staying on, and b) do you actually go to the games?

• Given all the poo poo off the field since he has been here I don't think any of last season should influence a decision given he inherited the situation.
  • Only eleven games in this season. Don't believe in knee jerk, frequent manager changing.
  • poo poo off the field only just lifting
  • Currently 5th in the table
  • Not really a case of argumnets for him staying, it is, are the arguments to get rid strong enough IMHO, no.
  • "do you actually go to the games"- Not often, but largely irrelevent. Entertainment is important but well down the list of priorities at this point in time

TTG

I'd be interested in hearing from those who want him to stay, a) what do you think he's done/isdoing to merit staying on, and b) do you actually go to the games?

a) The professionalism at the club has improved tenfold since Laws has left. Having spoken to people who work with Irvine it is clear to see that the approach leading up to games is far better. It seems Alan is a bit of perfectionist and has an extraordinary eye for detail. He wants everything to be set out his way and he won't accept second best. His high standards have irked some people but that is purely down to attention to detail. The club is far more organised in nearly every respect. The fitness in the players has improved, the analysation of opposing teams is better, Irvine commands respect and won't stand for any nonsense. The attitudes amongst some of our players last season were absolutely appalling.

Irvine inherited a mess. A squad with no confidence, a poorly balanced team, players who weren't up to the job physically and mentally, no funds to alter the side, and a team that were in a terrible position with a losing mentality. Irvine has had to try to turn that round without having money to spend and with all the off-field problems. There is along way to go yet and this season was always going to be difficult.

b) Yes I regularly go to games. Every home match and several away. What point are you trying to make by that anyway?

• Given all the poo poo off the field since he has been here I don't think any of last season should influence a decision given he inherited the situation.
  • Only eleven games in this season. Don't believe in knee jerk, frequent manager changing.
  • poo poo off the field only just lifting
  • Currently 5th in the table
  • Not really a case of argumnets for him staying, it is, are the arguments to get rid strong enough IMHO, no.
  • "do you actually go to the games"- Not often, but largely irrelevent. Entertainment is important but well down the list of priorities at this point in time

rapidly falling attendances aren't....

a) The professionalism at the club has improved tenfold since Laws has left. Having spoken to people who work with Irvine it is clear to see that the approach leading up to games is far better. It seems Alan is a bit of perfectionist and has an extraordinary eye for detail. He wants everything to be set out his way and he won't accept second best. His high standards have irked some people but that is purely down to attention to detail. The club is far more organised in nearly every respect. The fitness in the players has improved, the analysation of opposing teams is better, Irvine commands respect and won't stand for any nonsense. The attitudes amongst some of our players last season were absolutely appalling.

Irvine inherited a mess. A squad with no confidence, a poorly balanced team, players who weren't up to the job physically and mentally, no funds to alter the side, and a team that were in a terrible position with a losing mentality. Irvine has had to try to turn that round without having money to spend and with all the off-field problems. There is along way to go yet and this season was always going to be difficult.

b) Yes I regularly go to games. Every home match and several away. What point are you trying to make by that anyway?

Agree and is confirmed with my own discussions with people very close to the club.

The reason for our ineptitude in games is not AI (just watch him on the sidelines when we drop depp and go square) its simply the players mentality (they are poo poo scared at home, not my words) and lack of confidence, they are so desperate to get promotion and they know they should be beating most teams, it is actually stopping them from playing. At some point they will have a epiphony moment and start to realise. If we keep nicking games in the meantime then fine by me.

Irvine inherited a mess. A squad with no confidence, a poorly balanced team, mentallyplayers who weren't up to the job physically and, no funds to alter the side, and a team that were in a terrible position with a losing mentality. Irvine has had to try to turn that round without having money to spend and with all the off-field problems. There is along way to go yet and this season was always going to be difficult.

incapable of adapting to differing situations...

robotic on field tactics...

what fitness?, haven't seen a side that's slower...

the bottom..isation, haha, everybody is brilliant and we fear them...

he still has a poorly balanced team...

he still plays players who aren't up to the job physically and mentally...

irvine's had money to spend, that's what he used to bring these proven championship players in with....money...

a 3/4 empty hillsborough will be irvine's judge, jury, and executioner in the end...

He's not that bad Irvine, he's got the problem every other recent Wednesday managers had, his hands are tied.

Edited by Owl30

WTF?

How did this lack of professionalism under Laws lead us to finishes of 9th, 16th and 12th in the CCC, but the 10 fold increased professionalism leads us to relegation, followed by a sh*t pre season, followed by miserable performance after miserable performance in League 1 including being pumped silly by footballing titans like Brentford and outplayed in our own stadium by Bury and Orient.

The decline under Irvine has been frightening. How is he a perfectionist when his managerial record is 0 promotions and 1 relegation?

I have a lot of respect for AI, a decent man and a man who has really worked his nuts off at the club. I wish it had worked out for him, he kept us up and now we were back where we were under Laws in mid table in the CCC, possibly working towards a cheeky play off bid. However, the reality is very different and I cannot see us getting anywhere near the top 2 this season on evidence so far, which is a crime

Guest clumber58

GO.

Early days but Wednesday have scored only four goals at home in the League to date and conceded two.

Peterborough have scored 16 (conceded 8), Bournemouth have also scored 16 (conceded 4)

Both are above Wednesday.

I know which type of (winning) football I prefer to pay to watch.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And attendances have gone down due to the absolute shambles in the boardroom.

WTF?

How did this lack of professionalism under Laws lead us to finishes of 9th, 16th and 12th in the CCC, but the 10 fold increased professionalism leads us to relegation, followed by a sh*t pre season, followed by miserable performance after miserable performance in League 1 including being pumped silly by footballing titans like Brentford and outplayed in our own stadium by Bury and Orient.

The decline under Irvine has been frightening. How is he a perfectionist when his managerial record is 0 promotions and 1 relegation?

I have a lot of respect for AI, a decent man and a man who has really worked his nuts off at the club. I wish it had worked out for him, he kept us up and now we were back where we were under Laws in mid table in the CCC, possibly working towards a cheeky play off bid. However, the reality is very different and I cannot see us getting anywhere near the top 2 this season on evidence so far, which is a crime

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

AIs attention to detail seems to only concentrate on the opposition...neglecting HIS OWN !!! zero motivational qualities,which is exactly what we ALL need !!!

Stay for me. Im not convinced the "hoofball" that we see is all down to AI. I sit south stand lower (yeah, yeah, prawn sarnies etc etc) and from there I get a good view idea of what is going on in the technical area.

On Saturday AI was doing his nut in with Buxton and Purse when they lumped it to Tudgay - he was also bollocking Potter for not going to collect the ball more, and Otsemobor for "hiding" behind the left winger when Purse had it. Lets face it, you've got to give Purse the most chance you can to be able to pass the ball even over 10 yards.

From what I can see, the defenders we have are not comfortable with the ball, and when we play JOC and Potter together they are both prone to going missing.

This leads to the ball being lumped forward to Tudgay and the other forwards / wingers to try to get to it. My opinion is that the Forward players get "conditioned" to expect the lumped ball so they wont drop back / move for it as they know that 8 out of 10 times its going to be launched.

Is that all the fault of AI? No. Its partly his fault as its his job to try and coach the team to play. But whenver we have Purse, Beevers, Buxton, Spurr, Hinds, Sedgewick or O'Connor in the same side (or a combination thereof) this will happen as none of these players can pass / control a ball. What do most of the aforementioned players have in common?

Barring Sedgewick - none of them are AI signings.

Guest scott_andrew_william

It was BL squad that got us relegated, and I seriously doubt he would have kept us up. As for AI motivational skills, how would you know what they're like unless you're in the dressing room and at the training ground?

I don't think AI is concentrating on the opposition too much, we're a proffesional club, we know where our qualities lye, also, basing our play around the oppositions weaknesses makes sense to me. Our squad is fitter, we might not have a team with the most pace in the league, but bar Clinton Morrison, our squad looks like they can actually last longer than 90 mins.

He might not have won any silverware, but if you actually think we're going to win a cup (appart from the paint trophy) then you need to wake up and smell the fish. Also it's not like many other managers would win silverware with this squad.

We're in this league for a reason and we're 5th for a reason.

Remember what it was lie last season? well we might not be playing like Barcelona but, the players and AI are trying their best to get us our of this league, so you have to give them some.

Also, I think AI wants to keep it tight at the back but, I don't think he wants us to be so predictable when going forward.

Stay.

The last 15 years have shown we won't get a better manager, and to keep sacking them every few months hasn't worked before - why would it work now?

Where as he'd walk straight into another job we'd struggle to appoint anyone.

We can't afford to pay him off.

We're in a play off position and a win away from automatic promotion.

We've not lost in four.

We've scored more than conceded.