Dressing room like a morgue

Guest Briscoe Inferno

having watched my first wednesday game this year, it's not quite the hoofball that's being described for 90 minutes per match.

there's periods where either 1 of 2 things happen:

a) our defenders play the ball out from the back, but our midfield is so one-dimensional that noone can create in the final-third

b) our defence see no passing options to midfield, therefore try and hit the channels

when a) occurs, the closest i saw to us breaking through by knocking the ball about was tudgay's run from deep, and the cheeky 1-2 with morrison. shame that it takes a striker to drop deep and come through instead of having one of our centre midfielders do that. also doesn't help that both potter and joc like to drop deep to receive the ball but cbf going forward to support. the amount of times orient half-cleared into 20 yards of open space between their defensive line and our midfield was ridiculous. that being said, i'm guessing coke fills this role when he plays?

when b) occurs, surely if our midfielders aren't providing a deep option they should be up supporting the strikers for when these longer balls get played. again not happening. see the second part of my above point.

blame irvine all you want but there are some individuals there, particularly in the centre of the park, who just aren't making the right decisions often enough.

O.k then which one of you above has had it confirmed that the mood in the dressing room before during and after matches is boring and quiet maybe one of you have been allowed to experience it yourselves? Or is it just guess work based on Waddle saying what it was like in his day? Bit like everybody saying NP was earning 200k after iirc one comment from Bills,imagine our surprise when Lee told us all it was in fact 220k

Alan Irvine said it himself

A good coach does not necessarily equal a good manager. There are countless examples of those who tried and failed.

We've always been more successful when we've had managers who have had compelling characters and charisma. A year ago, this club was crying out for a charismatic appointment as part of its regeneration and I'm sure we we would have still been playing Championship football right now.

You only have to look at what Warnock did with Palace and now QPR - who were hovering around the same positions as us over the last 2-3 years prior to his arrival.

A good manager can motivate players to believe beyond their ability, but this is not necessarily the case with a good coach.

And that is what we are seeing.

I think the main thing about how Warnock operates is , he talks to the players like you would to your son , and makes a team believe in themselves and can motivate and get the results out of the team. I know I'm more or less repeating you mate but totally agree thats what we need aswell as team bonding e.t.c UTO FTB WTID

My view exactly - and the appointment of Irvine was Lee's biggest mistake by quite a stretch. The award of such a lengthy contract has hampered things further.

Totally agree, 3.5 years was a shocking move, especially with our track record.

Does the length of the contract matter though, really?

If what LS has alluded to previously is true (6-9 months worth of compensation in the event of parting company), then it wouldn't matter if the contract was 1 year or 12, would it?

A good coach does not necessarily equal a good manager. There are countless examples of those who tried and failed.

We've always been more successful when we've had managers who have had compelling characters and charisma. A year ago, this club was crying out for a charismatic appointment as part of its regeneration and I'm sure we we would have still been playing Championship football right now.

You only have to look at what Warnock did with Palace and now QPR - who were hovering around the same positions as us over the last 2-3 years prior to his arrival.

A good manager can motivate players to believe beyond their ability, but this is not necessarily the case with a good coach.

And that is what we are seeing.

A good coach more often than not will become a good manager. Will he get things wrong certainly, but at the same time they are far more likely than anyone else to see their own mistakes and learn from them.

IMO there is a serve lack of confidence in the team, nothing else. I'm hoping a more positive atmosphere at hillsborough where the cheers drone out the rumbleing booing will see players able to relax and start playing more positively.